1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you think the Rockets could win a championship like the 2004 Pistons?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OkayAyeReloaded, Jul 19, 2010.

1. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Do you think the Rockets could win a championship like the 2004 Pistons?

With a bunch of talented guys with no clear cut superstar?

If we can develop rock solid NBA Top 5 type defense and Yao staying healthy, I do.

We also have four guys: Scola, Brooks, K Mart and Yao (hopefully more fully recovered by playoff time) who have the potential to give you 15 to 20 points in a given game.

2. Craftx5

Craftx5 Member

This team is tough but they won't be able to do that yet. Yao needs to stay healthy and without him they will not win. I think they need to find one more badass.

3. dbigfeet

dbigfeet Member

Thats a coaching question. Can Rick get these guys to play like that?

4. Craftx5

Craftx5 Member

I agree with that as well. Brooks has a little ways to go still.

1 person likes this.
  5. amaru

amaru Member

Highly highly unlikely.

The biggest argument against it is the fact that our starting center is very talented but of glass. :(

As others have mentioned....some of our other players have some more developing 2 do before they are ready for that.

6. choujie

choujie Member

Top 5 defense with possibly the worst defensive starting back court in the entire NBA? I don't see that happening unless there is a lineup change.

Like offense, defense needs talent too. You can't all of a sudden make AB/Martin play Piston type defense just like you can't make Chuch Hayes play Shaq type offense.

7. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

If I remember correctly they had four all-stars right?

8. herro

herro Member

It has to start with defense, and we just don't have enough talent on that end of the floor right now.

9. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

They had 4 All-star reserves in 2006, but that's misleading, because Flip just picked his 4 guys. Neither Chauncey Billups not Rip Hamilton had been an all-star at the time that they won the championship.

10. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Good answer, I see what you mean.

But on the other side of things I think we have some talent on that side as well. It sure makes things a lot easier when you have a 7'6 guy behind you erasing back court mistakes. Pat Patterson averaged about 1.5 blocks a game in his time at Kentucky. We now have 2 seven footers, a 6-11 (Hill) and legit 6-9 (Patterson) big men to help battier and ariza play defense.

Not having a shot blocker makes a big difference in teams getting points in the paint (it forces them to take more jump shots, which really helps in the 4th quarter if they are tired) and team defense.

11. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

That is an interesting stat, I didn't know that.

I do think that we have 4 guys who have the innate talent and potential to reach one all star game (brooks, k mart and yao could definitely reach the game as reserves if they had great years and there was an injury).

Keep in mind these guys were all stars in the east. If you put the Rockets in the east last year they would have been the 7th seed (probably would have had a better record playing lesser competition).

12. jfbradley1985

jfbradley1985 Member

I mean, they do remind me of our current Rocket roster, but you also have to take into consideration the defence as most people have mentioned.

But the main factor is talent on other teams. The Lakers are still top dog in the west, Dallas has something to offer as a contender, The Spurs are still the spurs with a tad bit of age, and don't forget, if somehow in some sort of miracle we do get to the Championship, we probably have to play Either the Heat or the Magic.

Ifs and buts were candy and nuts guys.

13. Prince

Prince Member

Yes we can!

14. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

lol, yeah I agree.

I just think that if we won 42 games last year without Yao, the new bench, and Hill and Bud year two in the league, we could at least win 50 games this year.

The Lakers will be tough, but we did take them to 7 games two years ago, with lesser depth and talent. The Spurs, I would say at this point we are on an even keel with if we are healthy. Dallas I don't know about, I hate Jason Terry. A healthy Yao has gotten the better of Dwight Howard in their head to head match ups (going against a 7'6 guy for a dunker is tough, he is giving up 9 inches. It's like a 6 ft guy trying to post up a 6'9 guy) and I have no answer for the Heat (I really hope they don't fully jell this year and get bumped out).

I just think if healthy we can win 50+ games and be contenders.

15. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Probably not. Lakers are too good.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Of course it can......

DD

17. pewpew

pewpew Rookie

ofc we can if we keep healthy. we already have 4 bordline all star lvl player (brooks, yao, martin, scola), all we need now= IGGY!
    and also we have another problem, yaoming, yes the big fellow made of tofu.

18. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

I think we can win a championship like the 94 Rockets, a great C surrounded with a lot of shooters

19. pewpew

pewpew Rookie

Hakeem>yao+scola

20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan