1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you Agree? - Bomani Jones implies Steph Curry no superstar, 'best system player' ever

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Pringles09, Jul 24, 2020.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

He is both.

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Hakeem says hello.

jcf, juanm34, rockbox and 3 others like this.
  3. HardenVolumeOne

i care about stats, not media voted awards. The voters have proven to bias especially againist harden. Whats that saying, men lie, women lie.,. NUMBERS DONT LIE

Curry stats are all on a small sample size( considering he rarely plays the full 82 games on high minutes), outside of 2016, nothing else he has done impresses me. Sorry if that makes me bias, but i have seen a better player in houston for years now. In 2015 harden and curry may have been tied, in 2016 curry was flat out better, but since then harden has shot through that ceiling and surpassed curry in my eyes and probably the nba players eyes as well. Also you brought up jordan scoring 63 aganist the celtics.. last i checked that wasnt jordans career high. Curry doesnt have the stats, win shares, career advanced stats to be seen a top 15 player, but the media always put him their. You have hacks like ben taylor who come up with formulas that are hit and miss to try and elevate curry. Curry to me would be trae young if he wasnt on the warriors, his shooting wouldnt even be close to as good if he didnt have klay to take some defensive attention away from him, and was forced to play defense instead of being hidden

Draymond green who to me is ben simmons at full potential won defensive player of the year and he had a center that is or was as good as capela in bogut. Curry and the warriors were always stacked. Now they are talking about trying to lure giannis to the warriors

bballjunkie likes this.
  4. HardenVolumeOne

so then why does harden get **** from media for not winning a title if he hasnt had near the talent outside of 2018 that curry has had

s3ts likes this.
  5. malakas

malakas Member

The question was if Curry was a superstar.
    Whoever believes that Harden is not a superstar too , is an utter fool.

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

Curry is a superstar, but also overrated. If any superstar benefits from the system that he’s in and the talent he’s surrounded by, it’s Steph. For some reason, the media thinks it’s Harden.

What does MDA have to do with the stepback three? That’s all talent and skill. He can generate that shot with any coach and any roster.

“Harden is surrounded by shooters and snipers”...Harden is surrounded by bricklayers and inconsistent role players that shoot threes, there’s a difference

How many of Harden’s teammates have made an All-NBA team since he’s been here? Steph has had Klay, KD, and Draymond make multiple of them. Steph has been so blessed that he’s had 2 different teammates win FVMP.

francis 4 prez, s3ts, Deuce and 3 others like this.
  7. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

MDA needs an elite PG/scorer

Nash was MDA's system

MDA was a product of Nash

8. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

yep harden is surrounded by wide open shooters behind the arc because of his gravity

they look good shooting only because james manufactures opportunities for them

stand behind the line, harden passes the ball with you wide open

9. amaru

amaru Member

I’m not a Curry fan but this is a bad take. Curry is easily a top 10 player.

jeevinesh and AroundTheWorld like this.
  10. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Stephanie is a superstar - with major deficiencies...

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  11. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

He's right, and it was going to be proven this year without Klay and Durant. No one expected GS to do jack **** this season, and his supporting cast wasn't garbage. If Steph was a superstar that wouldn't be the case.

bballjunkie, Richie_Rich and D-rock like this.
  12. jeevinesh

jeevinesh Member

Steph is an incredible player and the best shooter of all time.

No other player puts fear in my heart 38 feet away from the basket with a defender draped around them.

13. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Curry's gravity exists even when he doesn't have the ball. As he moves off-ball, the defense distorts itself to account for him, and this creates open looks for his teammates.

14. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

I can see his point, but I would probably still have a problem calling Curry a "system player." I wouldn't even call Lillard or Kyrie that.

15. wekko368

wekko368 Member

GSW's supporting cast was D'Angelo Russell, Draymond Green, and a bunch of inexperienced role players. That's pretty garbage.

16. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Good point actually, Kevin Martin would probably be a multiple time champion with the same talent curry has had.

17. juanm34

juanm34 Member

As much as i dislike the guy, Curry is a superstar...
    He should flourish in any system but like Bomani suggest he aint taking a group of scrubs to the playoffs..

18. Icehouse

No it's not. Draymond is a 3 time all-star, DPOY winner and he's made the All-NBA team twice. Russell is a proven 20 ppg scorer and also was an All-Star.

Curry wasn't surrounded by garbage. Not having a stud at every position is pretty normal. Superstars, especially the all-time ones that they like to compare to, can be surrounded by garbage and the bottom won't fall out because they are that good.

19. Icehouse

Which is exactly why he isn't a superstar, because if you have one of them on your team you shouldn't miss the playoffs. This is the sport where one player has that type of impact.

bballjunkie likes this.
  20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I don't like Curry. I am stating this up front. But he is better than a *system player.* He is an all time elite shooter. And can help raise the ceiling on a good team.

HOWEVER....

He has MASSIVELY benefited from the players around him. A *SECOND* elite shooter in Klay, a *DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR* caliber player in Draymond and then finally an MVP level player in Durant.

I mean, plug in Lillard in there and there probably is the same result.

Now, plug Curry into Portland instead of Lillard. Does that change that team's fortunes any? I strongly doubt it.

Curry has gotten a pass for a long time by having elite talent around him, which means defenses are SPREAD THIN and not as focused on him versus if he was the main target with average players around him.

EDIT: And Curry is EASILY the most CODDLED player in the NBA by the media. Absolute TEFLON! And more than anything that pisses me off. Bay Area Media lives to protect him at all costs.

jiggyfly and bballjunkie like this.