1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do doctors need to be regulated?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rockets1616, May 1, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Rockets1616

Rockets1616 Member

Pretty simple question. Does the profit motive in an unregulated healthcare system cause doctors to resort to unjust practices that deteriorate the patients health?

For example, these days one of the larger prescribed medicines to young kids/teens is Adderall. Adderall is an amphetamine that is used to treat ADD patients. I just got out of high school, and basically all of the rich kids that came from private schools were prescribed to this medicine. None of these kids had anything close to ADD or focusing problems, but their parents had the dough to fork out to the doctors, so it was all good. Speed/Adderall is extremely bad for the body (its speed....a REAL drug), yet for some unknown reason doctors have been handing this stuff out like candy.

Now im not saying adderall doesn't work, it does, when your on speed you can do your homework like its watching tv.... However given the horrible health side effects of the drug, its mind-blowing the amount of HEALTH professionals that are prescribing it, but the pharmaceutical companies are getting paid, and so are the doctors, so everyones happy right??? Discuss

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Short answer; yes (kinda).

There's something inherently wrong with the idea of having a profit motive driving the care being given by someone who is supposed to have the patient's best interest at heart, and not the pharm company, insurance provider, or whoever has their hands on the purse strings.

I do not think the two can co-exist, and that eventually the system would unravel if left unchecked. It's one of the few industries where I think government oversight/regulation can actually be a benefit. There has to be some sort of altruistic watchdog. Sam has posted some brilliant articles and studies on this subject, maybe he can link us up again.

3. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not as much as you'd think. It's more like a fear of retribution from sue happy patients.

It's not extremely bad for the body in therapeutic doses: it's beneficial to attentiveness.

They're prescribing it because the kids are having trouble with focusing their attention for more than a short period of time. The ability to finish the homework like its watching TV is what its meant to do for these children. The doctor is likely getting paid either with or without prescribing adderall because of HMO payment rules.

All-in-all, physicians are one of the most regulated professions in the US. In every direction, our autonomy has been chipped away to nothing. So in answer, they already are.

4. Rockets1616

Rockets1616 Member

thats like saying crack is beneficial because you can stay up for 3 days straight and do a lot of work. Sure your gonna be attentive.

http://adhd.emedtv.com/adderall/adderall-abuse.html

Its pretty common knowledge that speed is terrible for the body and one of the more addictive drugs there is. People forget these things because doctors allow it, but it is extremely bad for you.

5. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

Adderall can be habit-forming when used in higher doses than recommended by your healthcare provider or for extended periods of time. The consequences of Adderall abuse can be extremely dangerous, sometimes resulting in an irregular heartbeat, dangerously high body temperatures, and/or the potential for cardiovascular failure or seizures.

Every physician and pharmacist know to watch for it.

From UpToDate...
    Many of the side effects associated with methylphenidate and amphetamines are mild, of short duration, and reversible with adjustments to the dose or dosing interval [16,17]. The occurrence of side effects is similar with methylphenidate and amphetamines, although treatment with mixed amphetamine salts may be associated with greater decrease in weight over time than treatment with methylphenidate [16,18,45,46]. Side effects may occur more commonly in children who are treated for ADHD during the preschool years [47]. Methylphenidate does not appear to increase the frequency or severity of seizures in children who also are receiving appropriate anticonvulsant medications [48-50].

6. PointForward

PointForward Member

Doctors don't need to be regulated, people making a living out of suing doctors, on the other hand, should be. I'm all for suing a doctor who harmed a patient with malicious intent. But this joke of a "malpractice" law suit system we have in place is what's causing all this crap. Millions of dollars are being wasted on that nonsense, and it's one of the most important factors in making our healthcare system as bad as it is right now. Doctors have to cover their a$$es by ordering unnecessary tests in addition to having to pay a crapload of money for "malpractice insurance".

You know what's really sad? The fact that this new healthcare bill fails to even address this problem, and that's my biggest beef with it. I was very optimistic that actual reform was going to take place (public option, strict reform on malpratice law suits), but we ended up with this watered down bill thanks to idiot republicans and corrupt congressmen from both sides that sell their souls to special interests (and the fact that the majority of them are lawyers, and they look after other lawyers' wellbeing. ie: we can't stop B.S malpractice law suits! that's how our fellow lawyers make their living!)

It's sickening.

1 person likes this.
  7. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

Tort Reform is a drop in the bucket for the cost of health care. It's just another pain in the ass for physicians.

8. Major

Major Member

That's a cop-out. There's no evidence that doctors that prescribe more tests get better results or have fewer malpractice issues.

If your biggest beef with the bill is that it doesn't address a tiny portion of the health care system and given that tort reform has been shown in multiple states (Texas included) to have zero impact on health care costs, it seems like you think it's a fantastic bill. Yes?

9. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Adderall is way too common among college students and even high school. I work @ a pharmacy and the number of people coming in with adderall scripts is insanely high... and majority of them are pretty young.

10. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

They are. They are regulated by the Bar Rules and by Rules of Civil Procedure. If an attorney files a knowingly false or baseless pleading in Court, they can get in serious trouble.

Sure...to the same extent that a single one gallon bottle causes the Atlantic Ocean to have all that water.

Malpractice suits generally do not cost all that much comparatively. All we ever hear about on TV are the extreme outlier cases. The run of the mill, everyday cases are much more modest. You don't hear about them because they aren't interesting and do not draw ratings.

Wrong. Doctors do not order tests that are not medically relevant. Some doctors order more precautionary tests than others, but that has a lot more to do with their own comfort level in the individual diagnosis than it does about a lawsuit.

Why is malpractice insurance in quotes? It is real insurance. If you get sued, the insurance company will pay the defense attorney. If a judgment is rendered, the company will pay it. I don't get the quotes...as though it were imaginary or something.

No type of tort suit has ever required that you maliciously injure somebody. That is why it is called a negligence suit. In order for a doctor to lose a malpractice suit, it has to be shown in Texas that the doctor failed to act in accordance with the accepted standard of medical care. Who decides what that standard is? DOCTORS. It is the minimum standard of medical care as determined by the medical community. In Texas, for a medical malpractice suit to ever see a courtroom, a doctor must sign a letter stating that under these circumstances, it appears that the minimum standard of care was not met.

We have had that in Texas since Proposition 12 passed in 2003. It has not been the magic bullet you seem to think it is.

:rolleyes: Yeah...that must be it. It couldn't be that they know what the rest of us do - capping damages on lawsuits or barring all but the most egregious claims will not solve the problem, will likely lead to much less effective care, and will put a practical bar on the courthouse door to meritorious plaintiffs while the doctor hams people with impunity.

What percentage of the suits have no merit at all? I suspect that you don't know the answer to that. The real answer likely is...not many. Again, you hear about only the most extreme cases, because they draw ratings. Do not mistake the extreme for the norm.

2 people like this.
  11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Ok.....

No offense but why are you talking about stuff you have never tried?

I understand what you are trying yo say BUT YOU ARE TOTALLY WRONG ON THIS.

I have been prescribed Adderall for 2 yrs now. Basically I don't even use it for my focus too much anymore, I've had depression for a long time and it helps me focus in that respect.

Technically I am not even addicted to it, I don't take it on weekends and have had gaps of about 2-3 weeks where I haven't taken it b.c I couldn't go see myh doc for a refill.

Its basically so controlled that the statement you are making is ironic. My PCP physician who is well aware of this would not prescribe it to me when I was all out even though he knew I was taking it for a while. He told me it was up to my psychiatrist to prescribe it. I have had to go through so much of a hassle to get it everytime. Basically I can't get a prescription till the last tablet runs out.

I don't have enough free time to drive 2 hrs to houston everytime I need a refill. So I always have a gap of like a week of not taking it.

Its a great medecine for depression. And the habit **** is WAYYY overrated.

Adderall is NOTHING like meth btw, so don't think of it as methamphetamine. I had tachycardia problems earlier on it but that was due to a Mg defficiency.

I understand you hear a lot of stories but making assumptions like these are just flat out wrong. I can tell you that if someone abuses their adderall they would have to take at least 80 +mg, and they would run out fast as hell.

IMO doctors do just fine, its not like they want lawsuits on their asses.

12. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I'm actually planning on weening off of it, I would stop cold turkey but I need to be in the same state of mind when taking finals.

Its not even a great drug. Lowered appetite is whats bugging me and the fact it increases anxiety.

You are honestly reading too much into stuff.

13. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

How are individual doctors making money from prescribing Adderall? Do you think Shire Pharma is writing checks to the doctor who prescribes the most Adderall to his patients? Sort of like the middle schooler who sells the most magazine subscriptions and wins a pizza party at the end of the semester?

If you think so, you are an mistaken.

Medicine is the most regulated field in America. Do you think some random person of the street can open up an medical practice and call himself doctor? Even foreign doctors who have practiced in places like Eastern Europe, Africa and Asia have to come here and do their residency training all over again and sit for all the national board exams.

Finally, there is nothing wrong with Adderall. It has been approved by the FDA.

14. Hmm

Hmm Member

what..? not even "possible constipation"..? astounding..!

15. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

How do you supposed you "regulate" doctors further? Have some dude sit in every doctor's office and let him agree/disagree with the diagnosis and treatment?

Child please

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

One of the best posts I've read here on the subject, Ref, and I've read a lot of them here over the years. I made sure the salient points would be easy to read, because I've read countless unfounded, uninformed comments here about this subject. Perhaps if your points are hard to miss, some of those folks will actually pay attention. Kudos, true, and right on target! :cool:

17. Rockets1616

Rockets1616 Member

your wrong, ive taken it a lot. Its almost mandatory to take it when you have to study for six hours, there's no way i could do that **** alone.

I could care less about adults taking it, but were talking about children. The amount of kids popping these things everyday is astounding. We (my friends) have seen first hand this drug COMPLETELY **** UP some of our friends. They get extremely skinny and become pissed off all the time, it seems like it sucks the soul out of you.

Yes, you can safely take adderall to help you focus. You can safely do lsd, cocaine, and ecstasy, but that doesn't mean our KIDS should be on it.

18. Rockets1616

Rockets1616 Member

No, you could have a committee of the most prestigious doctors funded by the government (only funded by, nothing else), to make executive decisions based on a general health consensus for controversial things like the over-prescribing of pharmaceuticals.

Im not just talking out of my ass. I've talked to a ton of doctors who are irate about other docs over-prescribing this stuff to young people, and many other pharmaceuticals as well, this was just an example.

The vast majority of adderall prescriptions are giving from psychiatrists, not GP's. I got all this information from other doctors, btw....

19. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Thanks, Deck.

My ex-wife's father is a doctor. I was married to his daughter in 2003, when he was in strong support of Prop 12. He thought it would drop his insurance rates and protect him against wrongful lawsuits.

Since then, I have taken a keen interest in following where this has led. Not a whole lot has changed. Appears to be a money grab by the insurance carriers. The claims they have to pay are smaller (if they are heard at all - the caps have made it difficult to find an attorney to take the case), yet what they charge for premiums has not dropped much. The net result? The carriers make more money.

As Yakov Smirnov would say...What a country.

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Mmm... I remember the Prop 12 fight. Man, that was bloody.

Sucks that it has turned out that way. :(