1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do Any of You Have Hybrid Autos and Do You Like Them?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by solid, Mar 16, 2014.

1. solid

solid Contributing Member

I am looking at Fusion Hybrids; what do you think?

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I have a hybrid. It's awesome. The emissions are about the lowest in the business and the gas mileage is about 40 mpg or so for me. The engine actually turns off when I'm at a light. I think the hybrid battery has an 8 year full warranty, via state law, so it shouldn't be much of an issue. The cost of replacing that battery was my main concern in buying one.

3. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I have a Hybrid Toyota Highlander. Great miles per gallon considering its a 3 row car.

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My GF drives a Toyota Prius and she seems pretty happy with it. I've driven it a few times and it seems OK. I don't like how it feels and the layout of the controls but that could be that I am very used to driving a Honda. I once rented and drove a Camry hybrid for a weekend and it was very nice. Very decent power and also very smooth drive.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

My son has the fusion and really likes it.

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I had a Civic Hybrid. I loved the car, but the hybrid battery didn't really hold up. I was getting 40-50mpg in the first couple of years, but then it started to really taper off. There was a class action lawsuit for it, which gave me $2K rebates towards a new car and a $200 cash payout. I used the rebate towards buying a regular Civic.

7. solid

Thanks so much guys. Your comments are very helpful. Keep them coming.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

This is a question where I need some background on you.

What have you driven in the past? What did you like or dislike about your past cars? What are you looking for in a new car?

I went from an SUV, to a performance luxury sedan, to a compact hybrid... and I can tell you, I regretted it.

The Fusion looks nice and is probably the best hybrid-but-not-a-toy-car compromise you can get, but unless you drive a lot (12K+ miles a year) and/or live somewhere gas is prohibitively expensive... I might reconsider.

I currently drive a 2014 Mazda3 and I love it. The "fun to drive" factor is something I sorely missed, and a higher end compact is a nice balance between practical and exciting.

I can't speak for the Fusion, Sonata, Camry, or other mid-size hybrids... You may find 600 mile drive ranges and 40 dollar fill-ups to be quite the thrill. Just don't make the same mistake I did and take too large of a step down in performance/quality or you may be disappointed.

9. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

This is what my wife drives, and she loves hers as well!

I totally agree with you on this, I once went from an Escalade to a Honda Accord. I hated driving that vehicle, not because of anything wrong with the vehicle itself, I just never got used to that smaller interior, and I always felt like I was stepping down (Escalade is higher off the ground) every time I got in to it.

10. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

This looks "fun to drive":grin:

[​IMG]

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I heard the Mclaren P1 is a decently fun hybrid to drive. Any one own or try it out?

#11 fchowd0311, Mar 17, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  12. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Top Gear tested it and the Porsche 918 recently.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nVJNpwTYhR0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/D_cHky99TNc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It's going to be a nice three way race when the La Ferrari comes out. I'm thinking the 918 is the best daily driver of those three while the P1 and La Ferrari are the better track cars.

14. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I own a 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid and I love the car. I'm kind of a tech guy so I like the green leaves that show how efficient I'm driving. 4 years later I still average 36 mpg and I don't press the gas pedal lightly. The Fusion Hybrid has sports suspension steering and even though its a v4 it drives comparably well to a v6. It's the first truly "nice" car I've ever owned and I don't regret it a single bit. Besides the usual standard maintenance I haven't had any problems with the car yet. 86,000 miles in so far and the battery seems
    to be holding up strong and is still helping with fuel efficiency. I personally like the Fusion Hybrid better than the Prius since it doesn't look like a hybrid. It looks like a regular Fusion. Only con I have with my hybrid is lack of storage in the trunk and the inability to move the backseats forward to make more trunk space because of where the battery is stored.

15. solid

You make some really good points. Right now I drive a Mercury Milan Premier which is essentially a juiced up Fusion, so I don't think it would be a big change. I have driven a Mazda 3 and I was really impressed with how fun it was, but I hate no choices on interior colors. You get black or black.

16. solid

Valuable information, thanks.

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Not trying to sell you on a 3, but it sounds like you're coming from a good place. It should be a subtle change to your driving habits/style, but a major change on your wallet. That's the perfect kind of switch to make.

18. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I have a Nissan Altima hybrid and a Lexus 400RX hybrid SUV.

I will never go back to gas guzzlers love both these vehicles.

19. likestohypeguy

They seem like a catch 22 for me- would love to HAVE one as a 2nd vehicle to save on gas with obviously, but the only times I'd be willing to drive it is on short runs, which I guess still add up over time. But long freeway trips where it'd really make a difference, I'd still want to drive something bigger, unless those things have a lot more space inside & safety than meets the eye.

I will admit their owners seem to be operating on a higher level- I saw a prius at the rodeo this weekend with a "Is that what they told you to think?" bumper sticker. Really makes you think.

20. Jontro

Jontro Member

I have a scooter and it has great mileage per gallon. Will buy a car soon.