1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[DMN/Chron] All-Time Astros/Rangers Team

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by JeeberD, Mar 28, 2016.

1. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

2. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not listing Roy Oswalt is a travesty.

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Yeah, having Ferguson Jenkins on the list is awful. He was a great pitcher and had a great career, but did most his work outside of Texas. If you want to take a HOF pitcher like that, you take Roger Clemens, who was dominant as an Astros player. If you want to base it on career with the franchises, it is clearly RoyO.

C: Ivan Rodriguez (A no doubter)
    1B: Jeff Bagwell (No doubt)
    2B: Craig Biggio (No doubt)
    SS: ARod (No doubt)
    3B: Buddy Bell (Very tough call, but I'd go Adrian Beltre)
    OF: Juan Gonzalez (Terrible pick, I'd go Joe Cruz, and I'd take Jimmy Wynn before Juan as well)
    OF: Lance Berkman (Good pick)
    OF: Cesar Cedeno (Good pick)
    UTIL: Michael Young (Good pick)
    SP: Ferguson Jenkins (Horrid pick, Oswalt easily over Jenkins, and should be a no doubt pick)
    SP: JR Richard (Good pick)
    SP: Nolan Ryan (No doubt)
    CL: Billy Wagner (No doubt)
    Manager: Ron Washington (You could pick several guys, and he has the most success, though I believe Buck Showalter i the best manager either franchise has had, but he didn't stay around long enough).

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

One of the dumbest premises for a GOAT list that I've ever seen.

If the Rangers aren't good enough to come up with a decent all-time list without the Astros helping them, that's their fault DFW. We've already helped you enough by allowing themselves to be moved to the AL.

5. juicystream

They listed the Chronicle's picks, so they must have been involved some.

I'm trying to get over Colby Lewis as a Rangers honorable mention. What a sad franchise.

6. awc713

awc713 Member

All-time HOU/DAL team:

C: Ausmus
    1B: Baggy
    2B: Biggio
    SS: Correa
    3B: Ken
    OF: Lance/Wynn/Cedeno/Cruz
    UTIL: Berry
    SP: Nolan/JR/Roy O/Clemens/Houston Kuechel
    RP: Dotel/Lidge/Wager
    M: Dierker

7. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

AROD and his wopping 3 seasons in Arlington seems cheap.

Sorta like Clemens being a top Atros pick (considering he has argument for best 3-year pitching stretch).

SS isn't that strong an Astros/Rangers position..... yet.

[​IMG]

#7 Houstunna, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  8. juicystream

He was so good in those 3 seasons though. If Dickie Thon never gets hit in the head, he probably would have been the run away winner, but instead he only had 2 great years.

It is nice that after 30+ years, we are set at SS again. Tejada was an all-star, but terrible defensively, and Jed was productive, but not good defensively and always hurt (he's killing it this spring, BTW).

9. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Think it's safe to say none of the current players in the Rangers bullpen will be making this list any time soon...

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'll just politely say, "No, thanks" to Ron Washington as manager, thank you very much.

11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Ill take the road less traveled and pick Mike Scott as SP. I know he doesn't usually carry the same clout as the other mentions, but when he was at the top of his game, he was as good as any of them IMHO.

12. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Who wants to make a Houston/Seattle list! ? anyone, anyone? why not! makes just as much sense

13. Grandpappy

Grandpappy Member

Ron Washington really? He decided to let sorry Scott Feldman pitch to Lance Berkman with men on base..what a joke. We saw what happened. Anybody that lets a scrub Pitch to a top RBI guy in the league with men on base is a joke.

14. Buck Turgidson

Berry over Spiers and Dotel over Dave Smith? I'd probably take Garner over Dierker too. Let the Rangers have Pudge behind the plate.