1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Diving in...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Little O, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Little O

Little O Contributing Member

on Yao Ming creating contact against opponents to draw the foul) "He's
    tried diving into players for 3 years and it has never worked. It's not his
    move, it's not his shot...it's not a foul, he's diving in. It doesn't work
    for him and, plus, when you have something that you can go to, that works
    fairly efficiently, it has always puzzled me with Yao (Ming) why he tries to
    make it up late. Something that obviously has never been successful for
    him..."

What exactly is JVG talking about here? I am a little confused. I think he is talking about a play later in the game when Yao turned around and tried to shoot through a player basically by leaning into him and trying to draw a foul. I remember JVG discussing this with him in the game. I think he was saying something to the effect that this is not his shot. Am I right?

I don't see Yao do this that often though. But I remember when he did it this game, I remember thinking that this move wasn't very smart as refs usually don't call this a foul and it is just making the shot harder for you.

For further Rockets quotes, click here

2. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Yes, I think it was in the third quarter, when Yao turned into two defenders and tried to go up and through them and got called for an offensive foul.

You could read van Gundy's lips, saying "DON"T DO THAT!" to Yao immediately after.

3. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

They don't call the foul, unless it's Zaza Pachulia diving into Yao or jumping sideways into Swift as he flies by. Just another example of the double standard.

4. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

Van Gundy has got to stop treating Yao like a kid. Yao is a little fragile as it is. You don't want to ruin his confidence by pointing out every little mistake.

I think he should be harsher on T-Mac and players who can take the criticism. You can't treat everybody the same. As a matter of fact I've never seen him yell at T-Mac. I think he's doing the opposite of what he should be doing. Be soft on Yao and tougher on others

5. Samar

Samar Contributing Member

Ummm no. He should be harsher on Yao to make him concentrate and get him to be mentally tougher. You dont want Yao becoming more of a panzy than he is right now.

6. coolweather

coolweather Contributing Member

that stupid foul that Yao commited where JVG told him not to do it again.. I've been seeing that for many times and Yao hasn't learned that lesson. It's a rookie attitude.