1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Disinterest in Basketball? [part 2]

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Another Brother, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Double standard?

Does this first line reflect the same type of social commentary as the Ron Artest incident did?

Even though Gary Sheffield didn't go into the crowd and defend himself against a fan that punched him in the mouth why is there not the outcry about thugs and classless acts like there was in the NBA?

This article's tone GLORIFIES the fact that the fans have contributed to this heated rivalry by punching a player in the mouth and yet when a similar classless incident occurs in basketball it is blamed for why the sport isn't that popular.

Black player attacks white fans- Not acceptable.
    White fans attack black player- Fans are part of the action.

Biggtexx?

Supernavt?

Help me understand this one.

#1 Another Brother, Apr 15, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2005
  2. Another Brother

3. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

Wasn't the fan that attacked artest. white??? I'm pretty sure most people bashed the fan for doing it.

In both instances the players were black.. so if it was a racial issue.. wouldn't we be bashing Sheffield too????? HES BLACK. if we were only bashing artest because he's black. we'd be bashing shef.

And I think Artest crossed the line to a lot greater extend than Sheffield did.

4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Sheffield didn't cross the line, I think he handled the situation perfectly.

5. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Sheffield didn't do anything!

That Boston fan was a punk and should be banned from Fenway for life.

Low life scum!

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If Sheff had gone into the stands, and chased the guy down, and started wailing away... this would most definitely have made the same fervor as the Palace Brawl.

Also, Artest's past played a role in how the whole thing was treated by the media... the fact that he was a thug before that incident had just as much to do w/ how the media portrayed it as was the incident itself.

If Scott Padgett goes into the crowd and shoves somebody... does it even make the back pages of the Chronicle?

7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Baseball has got a better union than basketball (from the players' perspective).

8. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Based on the facts, the fan was clearly in the wrong.

9. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

Yeah, I agree that Shef didn't do much. He had a little reaction, but not that big.

But I don't get how its a racial issue. Both players were black.. it's not like one was white...

It would make more sense if Sheffield was white, and didn't think he was getting harsh enough treatment. but he's black.

10. Another Brother

The video that I've seen most often features Artest going into the 3rd or 4th row and hitting this white fan as he tries to protect himself.

I'm referencing behavior. A fight in the NBA with fans, is apparantly a lot more severe than a similar incident in baseball.

And since this is a parallel that's apparantly a non-parallel to you, then why am I the only one to post something about it 12 hours after it happened?

11. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

In both cases, a white fan attacked a black player.

And I think in both cases, most people bashed the fan.

People were angry at artest, but they were also at the fan.

12. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

another brother. I think the issue is that most people don't see it as that similiar. The baseball game had no where near the violence that the basketball game had.

13. The Real Shady

The two incidents are not even close. Just remember the pandemonium that broke out during the basketball game. That was a full fledge riot. If the situation escalated to the same degree as the basketball game we would have the same type of fall out.

14. Another Brother

And yet, in the "Disinterest in Basketball" thread, this BEHAVIOR was the thing that people most associated with the NBA.

15. rubytuesday

rubytuesday Contributing Member

b/c we follow basketball more than we do baseball. just a guess... ;)

i haven't seen the video yet so i can't say one way or another

16. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

another brother, I didn't see the other thread.

I really do think it all comes down to the fact that Artest went into the stands though, more than anything.

When that white guy ran onto the field a few years ago at a baseball game.. he got a lot of bad publicity.

I really think there haven't been posts about it. because of the fact that it wanst a very big thing.. not because of racial reasons.

17. Another Brother

In 150 posts I guess you don't realize how quickly newstories make it here.;)

18. Another Brother

Agree to disagree RF.

19. The Real Shady

Do you actually think that was a punch? It just looked like a jack ass fan swipped at Sheffield trying to interfere with the play.

20. Another Brother

Read the article Mr. Shady.