1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dillon Brooks on Mental Lapses: “Feel like it’s the same guys that are doing that”

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyTBag, Nov 2, 2023.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In combination with Udoka calling him out a little bit, what in the world is going on with Jabari on the defensive end? What is the fix here?

Sometimes it feels like he has no idea how freaking huge he is. For anyone that attended SL before his rookie year, the guy matches up physically with Chet Holmgren. In those days he was blocking shots from the weak side and covering up 2 on 1s. What happened? With all the physical freaks in the NBA today, we absolutely NEED Jabari to pan out so we can match up.

#1 RudyTBag, Nov 2, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2023
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

He's 20 years old who just started his 2nd year in the league. He's not supposed to get it all. He's not the only one making mistakes. nobody should be surprised these kids are making them. There's plenty more coming. It's part of their growth. He's establishing himself in the NBA but would be a junior at Auburn right now. Let that sink in

Bari is going to be just fine and his progress is right along where it should be

Rashmon, gotsis, Caesar and 33 others like this.
  3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Bari probably just thinks too much when he plays and just freezes.

I feel like he has a chip on his shoulder because he was drafted 3rd. He has to understand his limitations and just do the little things to contribute. He needs to start playing like he was drafted 15 instead of 3.

4. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

I think he can be doing a lot more. Same with JG and Alperen. I have higher expectations for all 3 of them than you do, perhaps?

We can chalk everything up to youthfulness and not converse about anything, but I’d prefer to discuss the issues/lapses these 3 in particular are having, because it is fun!

5. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Dillon Brooks himself wasn't getting it entirely either his second year, especially in the first half of the year. He only shot a total of 40% and wasn't the big game changer back then.

HP3 likes this.
  6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

hell yeah I love Dillon bullying these children. bullying is good. bully your kids everybody. Silas bullying Sengun jumpstarted his accent into all star-ism. #BULLYBARIGANG!

7. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

I’ll echo what the last few posters said, plus I think his struggles are mental, the tools and skills are all there, he just needs to adopt his buddy Tari’s mindset

raining threes and RudyTBag like this.
  8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

and that's why his wisdom is invaluable to the children. They dont have to follow his same path. they can be better. Bari can be better. BULLY BARI!

HD729, raining threes and RudyTBag like this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

Experience is the best teacher here. All these lapses/issues you're referring to are things they need to go through.

YaoMingsSoulja, Amel, 34to11 and 4 others like this.
  10. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Bari and Alperen in particular seem to get into weird head spaces occasionally. It’s like they start second guessing everything they have ever done in life, and it is beyond frustrating. One thing I loved about Mike D’Antoni was how all his players played with confidence. They would let it fly, and I wish Jabari and Alperen could get a dose of that sometimes.

joshuaao, Bo6, majicdonjuan and 8 others like this.
  11. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Man I hope so! That is a bright and sunny outlook for you YOLO! ;)

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

“TAKE HIS ASS OUT!”

:D

13. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Alperen has to be tempted sometimes…

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Dillon attacking Sengun like that through the media is uncalled for IMO.

15. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dillon attacking Jalen like that through the media is uncalled for IMO.

16. MystikArkitect

The fix is that he learn from an actual coach and veterans. People getting on a second year player who played one year under Bruce Pearl and one year under the worst coach in NBA history to suddenly develop solid defensive fundamentals.

17. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Dillon attacking Cam like that through the media is uncalled for IMO.

dude not even in the game.

18. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

It’s not so much the fundamentals with Jabari. It’s more the mental focus and defensive awareness, and dare I say toughness, that concerns me.

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

20. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

History is written by the victor, eh?

#20 RudyTBag, Nov 2, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2023