1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Diet for cutting phase

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by R0ckets03, Apr 10, 2012.

Tags:
  1. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Lots of conflicting information on the webs. I'm having real trouble losing any body fat. Im 5'9, 170 lbs and 17% body fat. Would really like that body fat to come down closer to 12%. Well P90 helped for a while, but I don't have the discipline to work out six times a week.

Basically lift weight three times and run 1-2 times a week. I know I should really up the cardio, and drop the weights to twice a week?

And I really have no idea on what to eat to trim down the body fat percentage. Dont consume any junk food whatsoever, and try to eat healthy, but I am obviously doing something wrong.

2. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

How many days did you do p90x for?

3. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

Give us an idea of what you eat on a daily basis.

4. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Do you have a food log? It will be easier to review the log to determine the issue.

5. RocketDonut

RocketDonut Contributing Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Reduce calories in general. Eat more fiber based food to feel satiety longer. Also drink water to curb appetite.

7. R0ckets03

60-70 days before I gave up. Did lose about 15 lbs on it though. Went from 185 to 170. But it bored me out of my mind!

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Eat fewer calories. Your body burns greater percentage of fat when you are sitting around or a light workout. When running or heavy workout it uses carbs/sugar.

9. R0ckets03

Breakfast - Wheat bagel or sausage kolache (I know I know)

Protein Bar that is low carb

Salad with chicken or chicken and hummus/rice

Protein shake made with milk

Then usually one or two more meals that are high in protein and may or may not be low in carbs. I do tend to eat white rice or wheat breads or wheat tortillas.

I usually work out around 7-8 pm.

10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

what are your workouts like?

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You have to remove as much fats and carbs in your diet as possible. take fat supplements though.

13. R0ckets03

Weight days - two body parts for around 40-60 min
    Running - 3 mile loop in 28 min

14. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

2 body parts? so like tricep extensions and bicep curls for an hour?

please google compound lifts immediately. they will help more in both areas of gaining muscle and losing body fat. a solid workout of compound lifts will take more out of you than running.
    drink water and cut bad carbs.

good luck man.

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Run 3 and lift 3 times a week

Something like this:

Mon- run
    tue- lift (chest and tris)
    wed-run
    thur-lift (back and biceps)
    fri-run
    sat lift (legs and shoulders)
    sun-rest

Is this what you meant by 2 body parts each lift day? You may be using poor form, ineffective exercises, and/or not spacing work outs correctly to allow time for recovery...any of which can hurt your overall performance and make for crappy workouts = crappy results. Don't be worried about lifting. Muscle growth means more calories burned during rest, it'll help you shed fat. You can always adjust the weight later, if you feel you're getting too big.

Obviously you can tweak this schedule, but you can just follow this to have an idea of what to do and get used to it. You're going to get more hungry, so you'll probably have to eat a little more, which is fine, but don't over do it.

Make sure you're sleeping well and staying hydrated.

#15 RV6, Apr 10, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  16. paulftsk

paulftsk Member

DIET is the main factor, brahmigo. Eat 4-5 small, lean meals a day.

I usually have oatmeal with fruit for breakfast.
    Lean turkey and avocado for preworkout
    Protein shake and pb sandwich post.
    Grilled chicken/salmon with rice for dinner.
    Casein at night.

Cardio everyday. And I'm not talking jogging like a little poon. Sprint for intervals, then walk when you need to rest. And recycle.

Despite what people say, don't lift light when you're cutting. I hear n00bs say low weight/high rep. That crap won't do much for you. Lift moderate/heavy with high reps or to failure, depending on what workout you do. GOOD LUCK GET SWOLL

17. Nook

Nook Member

Lots of bad advice on here... Commodore is up to date on diet and weight loss, I would bend his ear. Eating too much fat is not making you fat and it is not bad for you. As I have not seen your eating habits I can only talk in general terms ... Avoid carbohydrates, especially highly processed ones. If you just cut your bread and sugar by 50% you will probably be amazed (assuming you don't have other issues).

18. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Is there dressing on that salad? What are the amounts fo the servings for all the items that are you using?

Salad can be very bad for a diet, if it has lots of cheese, sesame seeds, croutons, and dressing. Calories add up quickly.

You already know what do about breakfast. It doesn't seem like you count calories. I would count it for 1 day, so you know if your caloric intake is below maintainaince or not. You need a 500-1000 calorie deficit to lose 1 pound a week.

19. R0ckets03

A little bit of low fat ranch on the salad.

Is any kind of bread bad for you? I don't eat white, but I do eat some wheat or whole grain and some tortillas pretty much everyday.

What about white rice?

If I work out at 8pm, should I still avoid all carbs in my one meal right after?

20. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

try doing high rep lifting to cut. right now im doing around 10 reps at 225 four times, but during the summer, i'm going to free weights and high reps.

as for the diet. maybe switch the sausage with eggs and switch your dressing with a light basalmic (if you like that kind) or some other light dressing. Just portion out your dressing so you dont get too much fat. Also i find that supplementing with fish oils helps.