1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did Pope Benedict Know

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, Mar 25, 2010.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Yes, this is the case from Germany I was referring to.

2. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Why would anyone believe anything they have to say now? Zero credibility.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I will take it a step further
    If he knew. . . HE SHOULD BE ARRESTED!!!

I really don't give a d*mn . . . PEDOPHILES AND THOSE THAT COVER FOR THEM NEED TO BE IN PRISON!!!

Rocket River

4. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

5. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100326/ap_on_re_eu/eu_church_abuse_italy_deaf_students

6. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

VooDooPope does NOT approve of child molesters.

So it appears even with my agnostic leanings and distrust of organized religion, I'm more morally qualified to run the Vatican than the current Pope.

7. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

As a Catholic, I will say that I have long been in favor of removing the celibacy requirement for the priesthood. That being said, anybody who thinks that this would eradicate sexual abuse by priests is wrong.

The parish priest is a trusted figure and is often alone with children. Aberrant behavior occurs in non-celibate people as well. The opportunity would still be there. It would still happen...but perhaps not in the same number and there would be no shortage of good priests to replace the molesters.

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

How do you feel about this current scandal - do you think the Pope knew about this earlier in his career? As a Catholic how do you feel about this pope in general?

9. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i heard that there is no legal mechanism w/in the church to impeach a pope and that its never been done before.

but based on what is already out there he should step down and if all this stuff is confirmed (his direct involvement in a cover-up), he should be arrested.
    anyway, he is too creepy looking to be pope.

and he was a nazi. :p

10. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

There would be a much bigger supply of potential priests to choose from and it would be easier to get rid of the pedophiles. Right now the Church has to decide between ending the stupid celibacy requirement or importing priests from countries like the Phillipines to tend to Catholics in Europe and the US who understandably reject the celibacy debacle.

11. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

As I understand it, the Pope is "infallible." That would mean that even if he did know he wasn't wrong. Nice racket they've got going.

12. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Actually they only claim to be infallible if speaking "ex-cathedra". I think it has been many years since a Pope actually claimed to do so.

Ok. let me go to wikipedia.
    According to Catholic theology, there are several concepts important to the understanding of infallible, divine revelation: Sacred Scripture, Sacred Tradition, and the Sacred Magisterium. The infallible teachings of the Pope are part of the Sacred Magisterium, which also consists of ecumenical councils and the "ordinary and universal magisterium". In Catholic theology, papal infallibility is one of the channels of the infallibility of the Church. The infallible teachings of the Pope must be based on, or at least not contradict, Sacred Tradition or Sacred Scripture. Papal infallibility does not signify that the Pope is impeccable, i.e., that he is specially exempt from liability to sin.

In practice, popes seldom use their power of infallibility, but rely on the notion that the Church allows the office of the pope to be the ruling agent in deciding what will be accepted as formal beliefs in the Church.[2] Since the solemn declaration of Papal Infallibility by Vatican I on July 18, 1870, this power has been used only once ex cathedra: in 1950 when Pope Pius XII defined the Assumption of Mary as being an article of faith for Roman Catholics. Prior to the solemn definition of 1870, Pope Pius IX, with the support of the overwhelming majority of Roman Catholic bishops, had proclaimed the Immaculate Conception of Mary an ex cathedra dogma in December 1854.

No wonder I am a "lapsed Catholic". Virgin birth.????

I guess we should ask Refman.

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have a question for the Catholic posters. Does the sex abuse scandals in the Church make you question your faith?

My understanding of Catholicism is that the clerical institution of the Church is essential to the faith so then do actions like these by priest and the religious hierarchy make you question your faith or can you seperate your faith from the institution?

I am going to apologize if this question sounds disrespectful and I don't want to turn this into a bash religion thread but I am honestrly wondering how do Catholics feel about this situation.

14. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I thought he was not a good choice when he became Pope. I think that he has the real possibility of setting the Church back about 75 years.

As to this scandal, if he knew, it presents a serious problem. It would be wise for him to step down at that point.

On this, we completely agree.

Don't ask me. LOL It was 1854...just a little before my time. :grin:

No...it reaffirms that the people who run the organization are just as prone as everybody else to cronyism, concealment and crime. Do not mistake faith in the teachings of a faith with faith in the people that comprise the organization. They are very different things.

You came off as being very respectful and seeking to understand. I really appreciate your approach to this topic.

1 person likes this.
  15. EbolaScola

EbolaScola Member

Child abuse doesn't only happen in the Catholic Church.

1 person likes this.
  16. EbolaScola

EbolaScola Member

That said, the Catholic Church needs to toughen up on this issue. I hate to say it, but it seems like they're not taking it seriously enough.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

agreed
    this is criminal activity

Rocket River

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Damn, Ref, are you going to inhabit the spirit of MadMax? I love that line, three faiths and all. It's so true, and I kind of wish two big groups would embrace it: those critical of religion, and those who fervently belong to religious organizations.

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Does that make you question the infailiability of the Pope? For that matter how central of a doctrine is that to Catholics?

Thanks I appreciate it. Trying not to come off like I'm bashing.

20. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

nixonian.