1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did Pope Benedict Know

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, Mar 25, 2010.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

The history is even longer than we knew.

"... biblical scholars at Harvard Divinity School reported Wednesday they have found evidence that the early Catholic church covered up for three wise men ..."

No Worries likes this.
  2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Went to church in Santa Monica this morning. The Pastor spoke about it after Communion. The Bishop wrote a letter about it.

I don't understand your comment. Should parishioners boycott church?

3. jcf

jcf Member

Just curious, what were the pastor's and bishop's main points on this subject?

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I don't know what i expect from parishnors, they arent giving up their religion and i dont expect that. The Catholic Church is very old school in a sense parishonprs really have no say so in administrative issues.

That being said there was no expectation or requirement of accountability from parishnors. Afterall the victims are parishnors.

Catholics enjoy the old school nature of the church as in giving the church control and say so but people should have reqired more accountability from within the church

5. bobrek

I haven't read the letter yet but the Pastor expressed sincere remorse. Apparently this area had a similar tragedy of this nature in 2002.

He acknowledged the failure of the church and its leadership. He seemed genuinely saddened for the many victims. In no way did he try to excuse the behavior or lack of action.

jcf and B-Bob like this.
  6. jcf

jcf Member

Thanks. Sounds like your Pastor handled it as well as possible.

7. bobrek

We're just visiting this week, so I don't know the man but he did seem remorseful, embarrassed and upset.

8. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

9. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

"Tool of Satan"
    _______

Pope Francis compares child sex abuse to human sacrifice

"I am reminded of the cruel religious practice, once widespread in certain cultures, of sacrificing human beings - frequently children - in pagan rites," he said at the end of a four-day summit held in the Vatican.

"The inhumanity of the worldwide phenomenon becomes even more serious and more scandalous in the Church, because it is in contrast with its moral authority and its ethical credibility.

"The consecrated person, chosen by God to guide souls to salvation, lets himself be subjugated by his own human frailty, or by his own illness, thus becoming a tool of Satan. In the abuses, we see the hand of evil that does not spare even the innocence of children."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Benedict started the process of shutting down the practice of nuns bring sexually abused in some churches.

He's got that going for him.

12. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I was actually married by one. It is embarrassing to me, to be honest.

13. Buck Turgidson

NSFW, of course

14. KingCheetah

Pope declined French cardinal’s resignation after sex abuse cover-up conviction

Pope Francis has declined to accept the resignation of French Cardinal Philippe Barbarin as archbishop of Lyon after he was convicted of failing to report a known predator priest to police, the Vatican said Tuesday.

The decision greatly disappointed abuse survivors, given that Barbarin had traveled to the Vatican on Monday to present his resignation following the March 7 verdict and six-month suspended sentence he received.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/amp/wo...signation-after-sex-abuse-cover-up-conviction

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Predator Priests...

Sounds like one ugly mother****er

16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

17. KingCheetah

18. KingCheetah

Retired pope asks pardon for abuse, but admits no wrongdoing

Retired Pope Benedict XVI asked forgiveness Tuesday for any “grievous faults” in his handling of clergy sex abuse cases, but denied any personal or specific wrongdoing after an independent report criticized his actions in four cases while he was archbishop of Munich, Germany.

Benedict’s lack of a personal apology or admission of guilt immediately riled sex abuse survivors, who said his response reflected the Catholic hierarchy’s “permanent” refusal to accept responsibility for the rape and sodomy of children by priests.

Benedict, 94, was responding to a Jan. 20 report from a German law firm that had been commissioned by the German Catholic Church to look into how cases of sexual abuse were handled in the Munich archdiocese between 1945 and 2019. Benedict, the former Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, headed the archdiocese from 1977 to 1982.

https://apnews.com/article/europe-r...sexual-abuse-3461ba1b9adfcfb884027361263f1706

Buck Turgidson and Andre0087 like this.
  19. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Too bad we don't give Muhammed the same treatment...

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

I had no idea he was still alive. He's got a bit more time to act like a human being wrt his parishioners/victims, given that article I don't expect it to happen.