1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did Manti Te'o lie about dead girlfriend?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by macho87, Jan 16, 2013.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

"I wasn't as forthcoming but I didn't lie."

"He is not a liar. He is a kid. A 21 year old kid trying to be a man."

The Te'o's probably shed more tears today on 'Katie' than they did when "Lennay" "died".

2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

He said he met her after a game. If that's not lying, I don't know what is.

3. Major

Major Member

The DonnyMost theory here seems to be proving itself true as more and more evidence comes out. He seems to have been duped and then got sucked into a web of lies out of embarrassment and maybe some publicity benefit.

The voicemails from the Katie Couric interview definitely sound like a girl, so this Ronniah guy seems to be really obsessed if he really was the voice there.

4. underoverup

underoverup Member

Katie: “Are you gay?”

Manti: “No, far from it. Far from it”

:grin:

I think this quote puts the gay angle back in play.

5. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

She really asked that?

6. DreamRoxCoogFan

even if I accept that he was duped, can someone explain why someone would pull this elaborate prank? What is there to gain? He's not rich so he can't give her money and if she's not real she can't show up to get free football tickets. Can someone explain?

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Full Te'o interview with Katie:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Z2d1iNQkbDA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. Major

Major Member

Same reason people do stupid stuff on reality TV? Publicity. The guy was already on Dancing with the Stars, so he's trying to get his name out there. Now he's regularly on TMZ:

http://www.tmz.com/2013/01/22/ronai...trist-dr-charles-sophy-manti-teo-hoax-scandal

Some sleaze show will probably pay him for an interview, etc. He's done it before to family members, so we know he's sort of messed up already. Maybe he didn't intend it to be this elaborate, but once Te'o was sucked in, it became more and more amusing to him.

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I believe him. Either he's telling the truth, or he jumped through hoops making sure his ass would be covered if it the truth came out. Sure he embellished it, but a lot of people would.

10. Isabel

Isabel Member

You would think if a girlfriend or even close friend was dying, you would visit them. Maybe "she" wasn't a big deal to him.

Still, though, how naive can you get - that many phone calls - no appearance in person - again, not just some average loser with no other social opportunities. Why would he put up with that or spend so long on the phone with "her"?

I wonder if he was still a part of this and is throwing his former friend under the bus. (or boyfriend? just idle speculation... probably either he is into guys or he had plenty of other one-night stands with women aside from this "relationship"... the truth will probably come out soon) Can't help but be cynical about celebrities.

11. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

It wasn't his boyfriend, imo. According to reports from other ND students, he had a crew, had friends, tagged girls around campus, and tagged girls from the ND sister school. He kept the lie up after he found out, but also embellished the significance of his fake relationship during the duping period, however long that was. In the end, it's better for him to admit to teams during the private interviews that he stroked his ego and liked the national attention rather than being a complete moron.

12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

So he kept voice mails from 6 months ago? How do we know they weren't made up like two days ago.

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

What is "the DonnyMost theory"? Donny changed his tune over several posts.

What's clear is that, at least at some point, he started lying - bigtime. And his story still doesn't compute - nobody with his means would not even think about visiting his dying "love of his life" while she is in the hospital.

Not credible.

14. Major

Major Member

I have all sorts of random, totally unimportant voicemails from months ago on my phone. Why wouldn't someone keep voicemails from the love of their life who died and it would be the only way to hear their voice again?

You think it's in his interest to make up voicemails and then say to the world that he was having conversations with a man pretending to be a woman? This just makes him even more of a laughingstock.

Agree with this part. But no theory of what happened in this situation has no holes - that's part of what makes it so ridiculous. The idea that he was in on it from the start doesn't make any sense at all at this point.

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The love of his life who he hasn't even visited despite "Her" being in a serious accident and having cancer. Either she wasn't the love of his life or he is heartless person.

16. moligity

moligity Contributing Member

Te'o on the voices on the phone: "It didn't sound like a man ... if he somehow made that voice, that's an incredible talent."

This guy is so full of s**t .... so many weak explanations and inconsistencies in his story.

17. Raven

Raven Member

You're not a kid at 21. We have cops, firefighters, soldiers, and paramedics that age.

18. DorianTurk

DorianTurk Member

19. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Edited my original post, wasn't thinking. Don't know where you got the impression I'm Mormon though...

20. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Well actually the perpetrator simply used his cousin to make the phone voices .

http://m.nypost.com/f/mobile/news/local/revealed_the_real_voice_of_fake_GfkurlQYJF0ZA6zzYtJmWI

Wish this story would die with everyone's two cents.