1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did Manti Te'o lie about dead girlfriend?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by macho87, Jan 16, 2013.

1. astros99

astros99 Contributing Member

https://twitter.com/LennayKay

She just tweeted 43 minutes ago

L K ‏@LennayKay
    I miss you too snugglebunny RT @MTeo_5 @LennayKay I miss you!

2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Lol, ok, now they're just messing with people. This was obviously a hoax that got taken way too far, and now they have to backtrack. I bet Te'o didn't think it was going to take off this far, and once it did, it just spun out of control. Bad decision by him, and hopefully it doesn't affect his draft stock too much. I'm sure every team that interviews him is going to have a ton of questions about this though.

3. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

But the bigger question is, does he drop to 27?

:grin:

4. G Zus Kryst

G Zus Kryst Rookie

obvius puffter iz obvius

5. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

HAHAHA on espn right now

breaking news: Manti Te'os girlfriend did not exist.

just seeing that in the side bar/screen cracked me up

6. TL

TL Contributing Member

I work with a bunch of ND people. Some of the younger kids who have friends "connected" to the football team claim that Te'o is gay. If that's true, maybe it all makes sense that he has a gf who he never saw and turns out to not exist.

7. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

You know it's rough out there for dating when the star linebacker at Notre Dame has to invent a girlfriend.

1 person likes this.
  9. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Wow ... just when you think you've seen everything

10. Orange

Orange Member

Virgin??

11. rawool

rawool Member

Lol, that's what I thought as well. I just can't believe they would use the car accident and death by leukemia as stories without thinking others might look into it. So stupid.

12. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

whats even dumber is the national media never did. thamel of SI wrote a piece, numerous ESPN pieces...how do none of them check it out

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Manti Te'o:

"This is incredibly embarrassing to talk about, but over an extended period of time, I developed an emotional relationship with a woman I met online. We maintained what I thought to be an authentic relationship by communicating frequently online and on the phone, and I grew to care deeply about her.

"To realize that I was the victim of what was apparently someone's sick joke and constant lies was, and is, painful and humiliating.

"It further pains me that the grief I felt and the sympathies expressed to me at the time of my grandmother's death in September were in any way deepened by what I believed to be another significant loss in my life.

"I am enormously grateful for the support of my family, friends and Notre Dame fans throughout this year. To think that I shared with them my happiness about my relationship and details that I thought to be true about her just makes me sick. I hope that people can understand how trying and confusing this whole experience has been.

"In retrospect, I obviously should have been much more cautious. If anything good comes of this, I hope it is that others will be far more guarded when they engage with people online than I was.

"Fortunately, I have many wonderful things in my life, and I'm looking forward to putting this painful experience behind me as I focus on preparing for the NFL Draft."

14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Pretty good evidence that most media is crap. Lazy bastards.

15. Orange

Orange Member

Hes got to be Gay.

16. TheresTheDagger

The national media (ESPN, CBS, Sports Illustrated, etc) have a carton of egg on their face.

This is the current state of journalism in this country. And its pathetic.

17. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

oh man I can't wait until this one plays out

18. conquistador#11

Manti castanza!

Crazy story. How does a LB for notre freaking dame end up in a web romance? this isn't "A cinderella story" where the Qb falls for the dorky chick online.

Even Rudy was able to get a real gf!

19. Major

Major Member

I don't know - is there any reason to fact-check this? I mean, if someone says their girlfriend dies, there doesn't seem to be a lot of reason to doubt it or try to verify it's not a huge hoax or anything.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Confirmed from 2 sources: ESPN has known about the Manti Te'o story for 10 days. Had been reporting it, but could not confirm.</p>&mdash; Jason McIntyre (@TheBigLead) <a href="https://twitter.com/TheBigLead/status/291689226775441408" data-datetime="2013-01-16T23:31:45+00:00">January 16, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Start at ~1:20
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BGgIwSc8M3M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>