1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did Jesus really exist?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by txppratt, Apr 10, 2011.

1. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

greetings fellow clutchfans...

i know this is a very polarizing topic. but i am interested in the opinions of others on this board.

i am beginning to think that jesus most likely never existed. there seem to be many parallels between the story of jesus and other pagan gods who came before him.

now this isn't the only thing i've read... but is a quick reference on the topic if anyone is interested. and no i do not consider wikipedia the final word on anything.

as i've read about the history of the bible i am also wondering why so many believe it to be an infallible book. but the bible and jesus are different topics. let's just stick with jesus for now.

how do other members on the board conclude that jesus was a real person if in fact there is no proof that he existed?

edit: if you believe there is proof, feel free to share.

#1 txppratt, Apr 10, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  2. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Maybe. Was he the son of God? Probably not.

1 person likes this.
  3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

1 person likes this.
  4. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

radio-active topic? or everyone is just burned out on the jesus bashing that seems to frequent the D&D?

take your time clutchfans... im not looking to argue... im sincerely interested in others points of view.

for example... does the fact that the quran mentions jesus stand as proof that he really existed? i dont think so, but maybe others view that as sustainable evidence?

5. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I won't believe Jesus exists until he comes to us and shows us his official birth certificate. I am sick of all these pro-Jesus people who keep posting copies of a possible birth certificate, I want him to show us the real thing. Why won't he get Hawaii to release it?!

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I don't know, but I have kind of been wondering the same thing. But as far as I know there is some historical evidence that someone lived who would fit the description.

7. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

no one will ever know

1 person likes this.
  8. amaru

amaru Member

Agreed.

I also don't think it can be credited or discredited.

9. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I'm atheist, but I assume the passion is an amalgam of several different true stories about breakaway Jewish sects whose leaders were getting executed; really no doubt about mean as **** Romans doing that **** back then. There's not enough information about time back then to definitively disprove it. And the thing is, religious figures have a functional imperative to claim it's true, while historians have less incentive arguing it isn't: as do archaeologists or anthropologists who want state permission to dig or excavate anywhere in the Middle East.

1 person likes this.
  10. cml750

cml750 Member

I can assure you that Jesus is real. I have absolutely no doubt a about it. Check out the following link from a converted atheist. He describes his journey from being an atheist to accepting Jesus as his savior. Please take the time to read all the links and listen to all the audio / video.
    http://allaboutthejourney.org/

1 person likes this.
  11. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Whether Jesus was real or not I will preach and believe inside he is/was because I want him to be.

He is exactly how a man should be. Caring, loving, outgoing, intelligent, giving. Now I don't know about the rest of the bible as I haven't read it all but the description of who Jesus was is someone I think we should all try to be so I will preach that until the day I die. If everyone were to achieve to be like Jesus this world would be absolutely amazing so atleast in my heart Jesus is real.

2 people like this.
  12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Well that settles that! Bahaha...

1 person likes this.
  13. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

1 person likes this.
  14. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Here's the biggest problem I have with Jesus........or the story of his life that I've been given.

And this is from someone who was born and raised into Christianity--I mean, I have some really strong, church going Christians in my family (My oldest sister insists on saying grace while holding hands in a restaurant; my dad went to mass EVERY day after he retired for basically the rest of his life, etc.) I mean, in most ways, they seem to embody most of the better traits of what is supposed to be a Christian life, but they aren't hiding it either. Anyway, to butcher and paraphrase Tom Hanks' line in (I think) Angels and Demons, "Faith is a gift that I haven't received yet"--at least not to a great degree. I'm just not much of a Christian compared to my family.

Anyway, here's my issue: The biggest of big deals in Christianity (if I have it correct) is that Jesus suffered and died for my sins.........and the sins of all those who have come before him and those who will come after him. Because of his suffering and death, I get the key to an eternal afterlife of peaceful, beautiful bliss.

And to this I say: (looking over my shoulder for the lightning strike)....Big Flipping Whoop!

I mean, don't get me wrong, I sure as heck appreciate it, and if I could meet him, I'd shake his hand profusely and just gush with thanks. And I understand that suffering and dying is no easy thing--especially if it looks like the Mel Gibson's version--but if you can provide all of your family and friends with everlasting bliss while saving their souls (and Oh by the way, you can give the same thing to everyone else as well), don't you think a lot of people would take that opportunity?

I'm not saying a worthless POS like myself could muster up the balls to do it, but I will say that so many other people have suffered and died for so much less. Soldiers, parents, firemen, etc. Why don't we worship them?

1 person likes this.
  15. cml750

cml750 Member

Well considering that we separate the calender into BC (before Christ) and (Anno Domini- Latin for "Year of Our Lord") and the fact that Jesus was killed by the most powerful nation the world had ever known(at that time) and that nation shortly transformed into the largest religious faith (Catholicism) there is speaks volumes for the existence of Jesus. Jesus was a historical figure. The Jewish and Muslim faith believe Jesus was real also. Now believing Jesus died on a cross and rose three days later for the sins of man takes a lot of faith. It is your choice whether to believe or not however you should know that your soul is eternal.

16. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

To my knowledge I believe there are historical documents from the Roman Empire that document Jesus' existence. I don't see how anyone could question whether Jesus existed. I always thought the debate was whether he was really God.

17. cml750

cml750 Member

Pole, it is so much more than that. When you accept Jesus as your savior the Holy Spirit enters you and changes you. Believing in Jesus is not only the only way to Heaven, it changes you for the better.

18. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

He was born dirt poor in a very obscure country, he lived poor all of his life not even having a bed to sleep in, he had a small insignificant following as an itenerant teacher, and he was accused and convicted of treason by religious leaders in a city occupied by the Roman Empire; he died a criminal's death for reasons the Romans weren't sure of, he was just one of thousands crucified for various charges, why is this question even relevant 2000 yrs later?

#18 rhester, Apr 10, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I find it interesting/positive that there have not been any angry responses yet, and no attacks against the OP.

1 person likes this.
  20. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

There is a Christian mob outside my town hall ready to kill 20 county officials. Its TXPRATTS fault for denying Christ.