1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Dick Justice] Flip-flopper

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by codell, Oct 6, 2004.

1. codell

codell Contributing Member

He was on 610am this morning, and I was shocked to hear his current opinion on Kent, and whether the Astros should bring back Kent next season.

He totally did a 180 and said the Astros "have" to bring back Kent next season, even if Burke is ready to be in the big leagues.

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I've started switching the channel during his segments.

BTW, nice thread title. Pretty subtle. ;)

#2 ima_drummer2k, Oct 6, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2004
  3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

yeah..i heard him say something like that last week.

the guy has zero credibility. he's trying so hard to not be a blind follower, that he swung too far the other way.

if you're trying to write with a schtick...well...that's just dorky. :)

4. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Wrong War, Wrong Place, Wrong Time.

If we had let the Astros inspectors do their due dillegence, we would have realized that Kent had no weapons of mass destruction.

5. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

I could understand if Justice had just jumped off the Astros bandwagon and now back on it because I think even some players did that. But to do a 180 on Kent is just incredible. Justice made those negative comments based on off the field issues, IIRC. So how have those things changed now?

6. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Wicked :)

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Huh? Kent is playing pretty well right now. If he keeps it up, and his salary doesn't stop us from getting Beltran, I say bring him back.

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

It will...I believe it is for a $9 million option. Unless Drayton is going to shoot for a $90-100 million payroll, I don't see any way that both Kent and Beltran will be Astros next season. Personally, I am ready for Chris Burke to get a shot. I have always liked Jeff Kent, but there needs to be an attempt at a youth movement before we become the Seattle Mariners.

9. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

I would love to bring Kent back. We could just pro rate his contract like it already is. Pay him 3 million a year for the next 3 years. There's no way Burke can put up #'s close to what Kent does. And if we don't get back Beltran, we'll really be in the whole w/o Kent.

I think we need to determine what to do with Lane first. Keep him on the bench or trade him? The guy is reaching his prime years for a baseball player. And i recall Beltran saying if he comes back, he would want Biggio to come back too. Therefore leaving no space for Lane again.

I guess alot determines what Beltran does.

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Lane would certainly get more time next season as the primary option off the bench in the OF and at 1st. I know Burke won't put up Kent type #'s but he would be solid. He will be a greater defensive upgrade. If Beltran is back, the Astros would be one of the best up the middle (much like the Braves are now).

11. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

I find it a shame that a guy like Justice has national credibility with other national sportswriters. The guy plain out sucks. He has know clue of what identity he wants. Either the good sportswriter who back s the team, or the writer who is always dropping the hammer on them.

When Justice first got to town he wrote an article entitled,"Why We Should Love Drayton McLane." It was single most ass-kissing piece of journalism I have ever seen in my life.

At the beginning of this year he called Drayton a great owner who finally put up the cash, then drops the hammer on him casue he didn't spend enough on the bullpen.

He says drop Kent at all costs, then says retain him later on in the season.

He wrote an article on the Rockets and drafting Chris Duhon? Why is the baseball guy writing about basketball? And for chrissakes, why on earth is this guy now the head of the sports division of the Chronicle?

Its writers like him that have repelled me away from the Chronicle, boy do I wish for the days of the Post. I can't wait for the day another paper is started in this town, until then its AP reports and word from the BBS.