1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Diamondbacks @Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jul 26, 2004.

1. codell

codell Contributing Member

God bless Jeff Bagwell.

Just when you think its all over for him, he hits a 3 run bomb to give you a reason to believe in him again.

5-0 Stros

2. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

You wanna retract that statement?:p

"The Big Fly" with another one!

6-0 good guys

3. deepellumrocket

Is this Little E's first multi-homer game?

Wow, has he turned thing around in the past two weeks!

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The one thing the Astros are doing now, that they didn't do in the last 2 months under Jimy, is that they're KILLING mistakes.

Sure, any pitcher with good stuff (Webb) will still be able to shut down this team, but we weren't winning because of the inability to beat the pitchers we should have BEATEN.

They're doing that now... also, its amazing how many HR's they've hit since the managerial/hitting coach change.

It could all be one big coincidence... it could also be inferior competition... but it could also be due to the new coaches.

Who knows??... but I DO hope the club retains Gaetti in the off-season... for Adam Everett's sake.

"Big Fly" could hit 40 HR's in a year by playing at MMP... he takes advantage of the short porch far more than any other Astros player.

5. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Everett may have a shot a 20 homers next season if he continues to improve his hitting.

6. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Looks like our BBS called the right shot...

Long Live Gary Gaetti !!

7. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

How long had it been for Bagwell?

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not too long... he homered against the Dodgers last week.

9. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i picked a good game to go to my first game of the season. everett hit his first homer before we even sat down (we were just at the tunnel to walk to our section). bagwell comes through and then oswalt was just mowing them down.

a little disappointed we didn't let him go for the shutout (though it is logical to avoid the injury possibilities, still wanted to see it), and bullinger was comical, but still an overall great game. now two more pitchers with 6+ ERA's to go. better win them both.

10. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

50-50

Back to .500!:D

I'm happy for the wrong reason

11. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

At this point all you can do is hope for the best.

Go Astros!!

12. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

ender.. I know what you mean.. I was told the same thing and just responded to the fan who told me .. something along the lines of you yankee fans are just jealous that you lost him etc..

all along in the back of my mind thinking.. "there has to be a reason they didn't offer him more than they did ( the yankees)..

then again that person didn't want to believe kevin brown would probably have back problems again..

hopefully this will be the last injury for him.. go andy and go stros

13. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

codell.. yeah you gotta love bagwell.. we can complain about his salary.. but at least he is someone who always seems to be giving it all he has

14. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Man talk about an important series for Bags and Bidge ... This series really is going to determine the fate of this team ... I still say we are too close to throw in the towel.

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/2611108

Stay tuned on Beltran

This next series could determine whether Carlos Beltran goes back on the market. (Brett Coomer / AP)
    When a rival general manager inquired about center fielder Carlos Beltran on Tuesday, the Astros responded that he was unavailable. The Astros' position is unlikely to change before Saturday's deadline, but a poor series against the Diamondbacks could persuade owner Drayton McLane to shift course abruptly.

The Red Sox, Dodgers, Angels and Phillies all would have interest if Beltran went back on the trade market, and so might the Giants and Rangers. The Astros likely would want a young catcher to replace John Buck, whom they traded for Beltran. The Angels' Jeff Mathis, Red Sox's Kelly Shoppach and Dodgers' Koyie Hill are the types of Class AAA catchers that the Astros might find appealing.

The Astros face an uphill battle for the wild card, considering the physical questions surrounding left-hander Andy Pettitte and right-hander Wade Miller. McLane wants to honor his commitment to his ticket buyers, but if the Astros can't win three of four from the Diamondbacks, they would be foolish not to entertain offers for Beltran.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Looks like the entire nation has picked up on this "win 7 out of 9, or else," scenario.

Still... if they win tonight (which they should), that only leaves tommorow's afternoon game to meet that goal. Unfortunately, its Redding going... but I have a feeling our offense will be up for the challenge.

Also, I'm not too sure the Astros #1 priority is a young catcher... they have Gimenez waiting in the wings (whom they are high on), and I would assume that this team needs to address bullpen depth and potential 1B and outfielders BEFORE they focus on catchers.

16. isoman2kx

isoman2kx Member

2-0 good guys

bottom of the first

17. codell

codell Contributing Member

3-0

A double steal set things up.

When is the last time we had a double steal???

18. isoman2kx

isoman2kx Member

humm..... single, then hit a batter

not a great start to the second inning :eek:

19. PhiSlammaJamma

Fossum put up a fight.

20. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

Who are these guys and what have they done with the 2004 Astros?!:eek: