1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deshaun Watson / Warren Moon

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by lnchan, Dec 29, 2022.

1. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Serious question... why has the Houston fanbase forgiven Warren Moon? Aren't his issues... bigger than Deshaun's?

2. SuraGotMadHops

Warren Moon's issues came to light after he was already no longer an Oiler. Also, Moon played here for 10 years and never quit on the team. Those factors soften it a little bit but I'm not really sure the Houston fanbase has "forgiven" Moon for anything, they're both POS's in my book.

For what it's worth I never forgave Moon for his pick and FIVE effing fumbles against the Joe Montana Chiefs in 1994.

3. lnchan

Cheers for Moon last night at the Texas Bowl suggest that he is still regarded as a hero in Houston...

4. a time to chill

Tony Buzbee kept national attention on Watson in the media and found 24 different women to file a lawsuit. I think Moon just had the one accuser that said he was sexually harassing her. Moon settled with her and this case wasn't in the media as much. You can read what's in the news and draw your own conclusions about what happened, but I don't see the problem in fans cheering for Moon when we don't know the extent of his guilt.

T_Man and B-Bob like this.
  5. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

The 2 best qbs this city has ever had

a time to chill likes this.
  6. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I was at that game if you’re talking about the 94 game. Edit, you said 94. Went with Griff’s bar on their bus trip they had every home game. Montana ripped our hearts out. Very winnable game.

As far as Moon and his/the teams issues, they were many. I’ve probably said this in the past, but had a really good friend’s wife who was a Derrick Doll. She was “harassed” to no end by many of the players on those late 80’s early 90’s teams.

One time in particular she was on the verge of possibly being raped by a player when someone walked up and basically saved her. She quit right after that. Apparently, no one policed the players at all. Hate to say it, but there were several bad dudes on the team at that time.

7. lnchan

Before my time, but I read that Jerry Glanville wanted to see a bad reputation surround the team for intimidation purposes.

8. SuraGotMadHops

Not surprised at all to learn this. This is the same squad that had Jeff Alm commit suicide during the season and had Buddy Ryan punch Kevin Gilbride in the face on live tv.

9. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Ah, we had Jim Kelly for the Houston Gamblers, which was some of the funnest pro games I've ever watched.

mikol13 and B-Bob like this.
  10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Basically, one case happened before the Me Too movement, while the other case happened afterward along with the added factor of the Twitternet.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  11. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

Wouldn't surprise me. He instructed players to slam the kicker right after kicking off. Technically not illegal but a POS move.

lnchan likes this.
  12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I don't know, man. Watson had some good games for the Texans, to be sure, but if he keeps playing like ass for the Browns, he'll have a sub-Stabler total career at this point. Buy definitely if you want to pick the two best single-season QBs, I agree with you.

13. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I prayed for another warren moon and got a bag of ****

cmoak1982 likes this.
  14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Most people cheering probably aren't even old enough to remember anything about him except that he's a HOF QB for Houston's old team. How many hardcore Houston Oiler fans do you think were at a game between Texas Tech and Ole Miss?

Also, Moon's stuff happened before the internet and social media.

15. Roc Paint

My all-time favorite off the field. Warren moon moment was at the men’s club when everybody came out of the kitchen to take a picture with magic Johnson, who was by his side.

16. Roc Paint

And here I am, claiming Deshaun Watson is a pervert :p

17. Roc Paint

I’ve said this before every massage I’ve ever received in my past a happy ending was expected

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I actually took that loss harder than the Buffalo game.

The Buffalo game was a slow burn. You could just feel what was going to happen before the end of the 3rd quarter. When Buffalo finally scored and made it 35-10, I actually called my dad and said "I think we're going to lose this game."

The KC game was much worse. We were favored and playing at home. Riding an 11-game win streak. Best defense in the NFL. Up 10-0 at halftime. If we would have won, we would have gotten a chance to avenge the Buffalo game. We were the better team. Montana was great but had no one to throw to. Marcus Allen was past his prime. We had no business losing that game. I still remember that KC player throwing the ball at the Buddy Ryan poster after he scored. So humiliating.

SuraGotMadHops and mikol13 like this.
  19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

My memories of that Chiefs game...was that at halftime I felt like 10 points just wasn't a big enough lead (wow, we were some battered fans, man)...also I was in Waco and it was cold and gray and depressing just like the Oilers game was.

20. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I don't remember Warren's issues being bigger than Deshaun's. Maybe that's due to the different type of coverage that generally hid players problems - but I don't remember him being a sexual predator with multiple women coming out.

Even if he was - I'll point to the comment above and say he was protected for so long that by the time the allegations came out - people just didn't care about Warren enough to have it register. Deshaun was still square in the public eye.

I'd look to what's taking place with Aerosmith's lead singer. He's still enough in the public eye and the claim's (while very old) should be incredibly damaging. We shall see.