1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deshaun Watson: A Comparison

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, May 2, 2017.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

@justtxyank @Hey Now! @Mr. Clutch @Air Langhi

Would you rather your team be really bad for a year and earn the 12th pick in the draft or for them to remain competitive but not have a first rounder for one year?

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Depends on what they do with the pick and if that player pans out. I'd rather they do neither if they pick a guy that busts.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The second of course, but the bad scenario is when you suck and don't have a first rounder.

4. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Also, in a deep QB draft class.... do you REALLY think Cleveland will be more willing to draft a QB with their top 10-15th picks or do you think they would want to keep that pick and select the guy themselves. On top of all that the amount to trade up will increase significantly. Remember how much the Eagles gave up to trade up for Wentz? And even more for what the Rams traded to move to #1 and take Goff?

Either way you put it the value is there, especially if he pans out into a star. Even if he becomes a "game manager" (such a stupid term for QBs) ala Alex Smith, Tyrod Taylor, hell even Matt Schaub; you wouldn't want that on a playoff team that was currently in contending status? I know a lot of people make the argument that we could have beat the Ravens if Schaub was back their instead of Yates many years back.

There are a lot of things you negators are not calculating when you say "we should have waited for next year's QB draft class!" that will all be picked top 10 while we still sit in the mid 20s with another 9-7 record or so.

Perki-Perk likes this.
  5. Nimo

Nimo Member

Well the pick made at 1-12 helps reduce your chances of sucking.

6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I'm struggling to follow the relevance, to be perfectly honest. But the later - are there fans that wish their teams were worse?

justtxyank likes this.
  7. Nimo

Nimo Member

People are hung up on the loss of the 1st round pick. Well there are two ways to get a top 12 pick; either have a really bad season or trade for it. The trade is most likely going to cost a future 1st. Would those hung up on losing next year's first (I know it doesn't include you) rather the team was bad enough to get the top 12 pick than making the trade they just made.

8. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

It's just a convenient play on words that can be used to amplify the perception of value lost.

No one is saying that the Browns gained two first found picks by trading the 12. I wonder why?

Hey Now! likes this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You are assuming that getting a top 12 pick was a good thing in this instance when that is absolutely uncertain. The Texans could have traded back into the first round to get Manziel, Bridgewater, Logan Thomas, or just picked Tom Savage with a top 12 pick in 2014.....would any of that make us happy? Just because you burned a high pick on someone doesn't make that person worthy of that pick and doesn't mean you made your team any better.

If Watson doesn't pan out, it's very possible that the Texans would have been better off NOT trading up to 12 at all and just picking a good player at 25 and not sacrificing next year's first rounder.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Forget the trade. None of my posts are about the trade. The cost to get deshaun Watson was two first round picks.

All first round picks are free. By your definition the cost was zero because the team never paid anything for any draft picks.

Nook likes this.
  11. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Man this thread is exhausting.

I'm out.

[​IMG]

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The browns traded down for nothing.

justtxyank likes this.
  13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

You are talking about the trade. I'm talking about "investment" to get a player.

We didn't spend one first round pick on Deshaun Watson, we spent two. The phrase "spent a first round pick" is used often to describe what you used to acquire a player. We spent a first round pick, we blew a first round pick, etc.

14. Buck Turgidson

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Well now the question is at what point does Watson not pan out?

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I actually think Watson will pan out before next year's 1st rounder will.

Wattafan likes this.
  17. Nimo

Nimo Member

I'm going to be lazy and just copy and paste from NFL.com. Here's what Watson has done well

Tremendous leader and winner. Good pocket posture with quiet upper body. Good pocket mobility and doesn't show much panic when pocket gets noisy. Sacked just 32 times over his last 1,181 drop-backs. Willing to stand in and deliver the ball against rib-wreckers on a clear path for him. Has history of clutch play in big games and big moments. Averaged 472 yards of total offense with eight total touchdowns and one interception in his two championship appearances against Alabama. Throws with anticipation and touch. Fires hips through throws for improved drive velocity into tight windows. Arm strength currently limited by mechanical issues that are correctable. Big, strong hands to pump fake and manipulate. Keeps ball tucked near his chest when scanning. Has compact, over-the-top release that uncorks a tight, pretty spiral. Throws with adequate accuracy on the move. Has traits to operate out of boot-action attack. Tremendous athlete who has ability to pick up chunks of yardage on ground. Has called running plays could ignite a stagnant offense. Has instant juice out of pocket to make defense pay if rush lanes are vacated. Does a good job of sliding or eluding square collisions in space as a runner. Dual-threat weapon near end zone who will create additional preparation time for coaching staffs looking to limit his effectiveness in the red area. Every meaningful passing stat improved in close-and-late situations in 2016.

Perki-Perk, Nook and Two Sandwiches like this.
  18. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

I don't think the team's wins are enough to make the "winner" tag on Watson meaningful, but if a credible person who has been around Watson characterizes him as a winner, that can mean something. Anyone who has ever played competitive sports has seen the difference between really talented players and equally talented players who you believe in when it counts.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well given how raw and absolutely not ready to play in the NFL he is, I think in a perfect world he doesn't play at all this season and then we give him his first season starting where we don't expect much and the season after that we make a decision on if he's worth a damn or not.

If they throw him to the wolves his rookie season....well, the odds will be very much against him because you'll be stunting his development by throwing him out there without the tools to be successful.

20. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

He was NFL acclimated and won 5 of 7.
    They took a swing and missed.