1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deshaun Watson: A Comparison

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, May 2, 2017.

1. Nook

Nook Member

They have similar arm
    This.

"JustWinz" usually equals a game manager.

Know who else is a game manager? Alex Smith and Tyrod Taylor, and no one really wants either of them.

I have yet to have anyone tell me anything special Watson does other than have a quick release.

I am rooting for Watson, and would love for him to become a 10 years starter, but I have real concerns.

justtxyank likes this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

Manning was also have precision on his passes and knew his limitations. A lot of times Watson didn't have precision and made a poor read.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely, also I'm not sure there's ever been a better QB when it comes to reading defenses. So sure, if you have precision accuracy, a quick release, and you are the best QB at reading defenses in the history of the game, you can overcome limited pass velocity for a little while.

donkeypunch likes this.
  4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He's a leader

Nook and justtxyank like this.
  5. texans1095

texans1095 Member

To be fair, I would take Alex Smith on this team any day of the week. Not saying the concerns aren't valid (I have the same concerns), but if he can be Alex Smith then I think the pick was well worth it.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If the pick was ours then it might be worth it, but the extra first rounder that it cost makes it nowhere near worth it.

texans1095 likes this.
  7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

We'd all take Alex Smith as our QB, but who would give up ONE first round pick for him let alone 2?

Alex Smith went an entire year without throwing a TD to a wide receiver.

If that's Watson's ceiling I'll be extremely disappointed.

texans1095 likes this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

I understand what you are saying...... but consider that every team Alex Smith has been on has tried to upgrade at the QB position.

texans1095 likes this.
  9. Nimo

Nimo Member

All the greats had a lot of questions coming out of college. Roethlisberger was mostly out of the shotgun and needed to work on his release and his footwork. Scouts said they didn't like Peyton's velocity and that his balls waffled. Scouts said Aaron Rodgers release was too rigid and he was too short. Kiper was one of the guys who actually like Rodgers and even he said this:

"Getting back to Rodgers. I don't have a problem with the perception that he's mechanical, as long as he's winning football games and his individual performances are at a high level. What I have noticed is that by holding the ball at shoulder level, he loses a little quickness and escape ability when things break down in the pocket.

If you have time, go and read the old scouting reports the current elite QBs. Hilarious. Also comforting, knowing a QB, when given the opportunity, has the chance to change the narrative about him.

10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

What intrigues me about Watson's "justwinz" credentials are who he beat... three top 10 teams and six total in the top 25. That's... I mean, it's impressive. That Alabama team just had three members of the defense he shredded go in round 1. Now, it means NOTHING if it's not paired with the physical and mental side of things - but he seems to have both, as well.

11. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

The one thing that people forget is that not only did the guy play against a completed LOADED Alabama team toe-to-toe in a dog fight for the title last year (yeah one game I get it) but he also went against the Buckeyes who were also completed LOADED at defensive back and blew them tf out!

If that doesn't amount to anything when you're looking for a true QB to win at the clutchest (i know not a word) moments then I don't know what you guys rather have. From the last time I recall Wilson playing college ball he was up against the Spartans and he willed his team back to a win with a 3 TD performance. If you look for traits and skill this guy definitely has it. When has Geno Smith done anything remotely similar to win a big game for the mountaineers or the jets? (rhetorical)

But maybe some of that Johnny Manziel pizzazz would make him a little more to y'alls liking.

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Rick Smith on Deshaun Watson: “He’s a winner. He’s got that winning gene.”

Bill O’Brien on Deshaun Watson ‘He’s a winner. When I met him at combine, very poised guy, felt like he answered questions very honestly’

Bill O’Brien: ‘Stood out to me is what he did in clutch moments. When chips were down, he was able to lead his team to victory.’

Rick Smith: 'When we talk about him as a winner, it's a mentality, not just college. Way he lives his life.'

Rick Smith:'I'm always hesitant to talk about "concerns." There are realities about what he needs to work on; footwork and accuracy.'

Bill OBrien:'One of the things that impressed us the most was his ability to retain information with poise. We do several different things with our conversations with our quarterbacks. '

Chris Mortensen

✔@mortreport

DeShaun Watson's last visit w Texans. Looked Bill O'Brien in eye, said knows most important piece to championship team is HC-QB relationship

Deshaun Watson: 'I’ve learned from Coach O’Brien over the visits. They have a great defense, a great O-line, great weapons around me. For me, all I need to do is keep my head down, don’t say anything'

Nook likes this.
  13. Hey Now!

You know another player who does pretty well with diminishing velocity? Philip Rivers. Oh, and you know who has exceptional velocity? Brock Osweiler.

Timing and guts. That's what you need to be a good NFL QB. And both start with preparation and knowledge. If you know what your receiver is going to do, how the defense will try to stop it and when your window will be open - and then have the stones to make the throw as the play/window is still developing.... I just don't think velocity is all that important.

14. texans1095

texans1095 Member

I agree. I guess what I meant is that if he can be a very efficient game manager, then the Texans have a legit chance to go deep in the playoffs while he's the QB. I would be ok with that. But like you said, giving up 2 first round picks makes me want more from him than a really efficient game manager.

15. Nook

Nook Member

I don't disagree with you.......... I remember Mel Kiper questioning whether Aaron Rodgers could throw the deep ball. The difference being that almost all those quarterbacks had strong suits that were expected to cross over to the NFL. Roethlisberger had a very strong arm and was exceptional at throwing in and out of the pocket. Manning had excellent precision and placement and was considered very good at the timing of plays. Rodgers was considered to have strong physical tools but had the stigma of the system he played in and who his head coach was.

What does Watson do well? We know his release is excellent. However what else?

Maybe Watson will prove to be a top 15 QB, and his arm will be strong and accurate enough and he will really improve on working his progressions... it happens sometimes. However, does Watson get drafted as high if he played at UH?

16. Hey Now!

Ehhhhhh... they gave up 1. I know - they technically traded 2 #1s - but they got a #1 back.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  17. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I totally get the "justwinz" uneasy feeling. I don't think it is enough to build this guy up on. And I know it has been said that he played hard teams and won, but it was more than that. In 3 of the biggest games of his life, here is what he went up against and what he did:

W/L = 2-1
    6 DEFENSIVE first rd draft picks, and 6 DEFENSIVE 2nd rounders over the passed 2 years (only including OSU guys in this years draft)
    * Threw for 1,084 yards, 64% completion, 8TDs, and 3 INTs with about a 93 adj QBR
    * Rushed for 173 yds, 3 TDS.

That's more than "justwinz" that is staring elite competition in the face and absolutely going off. That is not stat-padding against lesser competition, and in the final game, in the final minutes, his team down, led a last second drive to win the game. It may seem cliche, but that is just something you cannot teach.

I have no idea how he will do or who to compare him to, but this is the best chance I feel we have ever had.

Perki-Perk likes this.
  18. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I really like that Deshaun Watson that the Texans have a "great" O-line. I don't know if he actually believes that, but it's good to show that trust already and not build up excuses.

19. Hey Now!

That's an interesting question... And I don't know the answer. But - if you're asking what he does well.......... I mean, handling pressure is obviously on the list, isn't it? I think it's safe to assume the enormity of what he's walking into won't overwhelm him.

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It took two ones to get him though. The cost to have Watson on your team is two first round picks.