1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Denver] Texans interviews: 4 lined up, Kubiak Friday

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ChrisP, Jan 4, 2006.

1. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

Kubiak, Texans will talk Friday; playoff game is set for Jan. 14

By Jeff Legwold, Rocky Mountain News
    January 4, 2006

ENGLEWOOD - Broncos offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak will interview for the Houston Texans coaching job Friday.

Texans owner Bob McNair, general manager Charley Casserly and former Broncos coach Dan Reeves, who has been hired as a consultant by the Texans, will interview Kubiak.

Kubiak will be the third of four candidates the Texans will interview this week. After a 2-14 season, the team Monday fired Dom Capers.

Miami Dolphins offensive coordinator Scott Linehan will interview today, Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator Al Saunders on Thursday, Kubiak on Friday and Buffalo Bills defensive coordinator Jerry Gray on Saturday.

Because their teams' seasons are over, Linehan, Saunders and Gray will interview in Houston.

There also is a feeling that with the three-year, $8 million contract extension Washington Redskins defensive coordinator Gregg Williams signed Tuesday, which took one of the top coaching prospects off the market, Kubiak is the front-runner for the Texans job.

Kubiak said Tuesday he did not want to comment. Broncos coach Mike Shanahan could not be reached for comment.

League rules allow assistants with playoff teams that have a bye to interview for coaching jobs during the off week or not until the team is eliminated from the postseason.

Kubiak interviewed for the Texans job in January 2001, when the team eventually hired Capers. At the time, some inside the organization said Kubiak came off as too low-key for an expansion team trying to win over fans in the market.

Kubiak, a Houston native, is in his 20th season as a player or coach with the Broncos.

Link
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm no good at forecasting coaching prospects... but I've been intrigued by Kubiak for a while. Being a Broncos fan, I've seen how solid that coaching staff is for years, but Shanahan is obviously the one pulling all the strings. It remains to be seen what Kubiak can do on his own.

The mention about why Kubiak was passed over by the Texans before is interesting. He came off as too low-key for an expansion franchise. I'm not sure what that means, but it's not really applicable anymore.

2. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I hope we get Gary...An offensive minded coach that knows zone blocking and how to get the most of your QB...

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I think I, like many others, am most concerned that he may not have been as responsible for the Denver offensive success and we'd love to believe.

4. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm thinking actually winning some games would have won over fans for an expansion team. Strange, I've never thought of Dom Capers as anything other than low key.

#4 RunninRaven, Jan 4, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2006
  5. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I'd love for Kubiak to take the job... because at this point he has the pick of the litter from the 5 others out there, let's just hope he doesn't hold a grudge for being passed over for Dom freaking Capers.

6. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I hated the hire originally and never really changed my stance on that. I've always considered him overrated.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I agree. I never thought of Capers as some darling for the public to swoon over. I can't imagine Kubiak being more low key or unexciting than Dom.

8. Toast

Toast Member

Why will Charley Casserly be there?

Fire that free-loader.

9. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member

Kubiak has been schooled by Shanahan which is all I need to know.

You know Shanahan would hate to lose him, especially to an AFC team.

10. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

By all accounts, that is apparently not going to happen. Now, whether or not his role changes and he stops drafting guys is another thing altogether.

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

If Kubiak was low key compared to Dom Capers, they might need to break out the defibrillator because that would make him legally dead.

12. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Those of you that are familiar with Kubiak's personality...

Is he low key in a Bill Belichek(sp?) kind of way, or low key in an "I'm not that smart so I better keep my mouth shut so nothing stupid comes out" kind of way?

13. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I would say in a Belicheck sort of way. Hearing him speak (it was a graduation speech...but hey!), you could tell that he was a wise man. Looking at his schemes and success, he seems to be even more brilliant.