1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dennis Smith Jr

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tinman, Jul 17, 2017.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

That is crazy !

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

still sucked at the dunk contest o_O

3. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

Mavs fan alert

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Vivi likes this.
  5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

If I were Dallas and Orlando, I'd do Dennis Smith Jr. and Wesley Matthews for Aaron Gordon. From Dallas perspective, they get a Forward who is perfect complement/foil to Doncic. On Defense he can hide Doncic's limitations and guard the other team's best forward (small or power), bring athleticism, play small-ball center. On Offense he can rim-run, catch lobs from Doncic, spot up for 3s, and isn't forced to be a primary option like he is in Orlando. Also he's young enough to fit on Dallas' timeline, but established enough that he can help them win now. For Orlando, they finally get a dynamic point guard to steer their uber-athletic ship, one that is more in the time-frame of their young bigs of the future in Isaac and Mo Bamba.

They get rid of a guy who just doesn't fit anymore with what they are trying to do, and they open up some cap space to boot with Matthews expiring contract. Obviously, Orlando is not a free agent draw, but if they go ahead and trade Terrence Ross and Vucevic for picks, they can start the rebuild in earnest, and use cap space to take on contracts in exchange for picks. I know this is painful given they have been perpetually rebuilding for years now, but this way new management can finally make the team they want (which appears to be Milwaukee lite, ie. super long athletes) and have a plan, not a muddled half-plan.

Biggest con from Dallas's perspective in my mind is that there may not be room for Barnes AND Gordon. Trading for Gordon this year allows Dallas to see how those players can mesh. If they do, great. If the don't, I still think there is a reasonable likelihood that Barnes and Doncic < Gordon and Doncic, so they can look to trade Barnes next season (assuming he picks up Player Option), or just let him walk and be happy the team has been upgraded. Doncic's point guard skills and Gordon's ability to guard 3-5 credibly gives Mavs incredibly flexibility in adding players around them.

Obviously, this doesnt' make sense from Orlando perspective if they just don't think DSJ is that good, or if they are absolutely hellbent on making playoffs this year (which I think is a mistake).