1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Democrats, Winning Alabama Senate Seat, Stun Nation and Humiliate Mr. trump

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Deckard, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

2. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can we just acknowledge, like GOP members Richard Shelby and Jeff Flake, that this is ok? Jones will be in office for three years in all likelihood. Alabama is still Alabama. Sometimes it's fine to take a short-term L if it means avoiding somebody like Roy Moore sullying the Senate.

The word "stunned" feels appropriate when an Alabama Democrat was elected for the first time over 20 years and the president's third heavy-handed endorsement in a row was defeated.

Deckard likes this.
  3. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Moore never should have been allowed to get to this point in the first place. His career should've been over after his removal as the Chief Justice of the Alabama Supreme Court.

If we had a competent person in the Oval Office, then this Alabama Senate seat wouldn't have been up for grabs in the first place...it would have remained solidly red. Trump made a major strategic error by appointing Sessions, and now he, Bannon and the GOP have to pay the price. If this incompetence continues, then there's a good possibility that the GOP will lose the House and possibly the Senate in 2018.

Anyway, Moore's 15 minutes of fame are now over. He's yesterday's news. It would be nice if the media and others quickly turn the page and stop giving that despicable creep attention.

4. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Betting lines had Moore at something like a 90% certainty of victory. The African American turn out was huge and unforeseen. Again, this was supposed to be a slam dunk for Moore, but hey, keep telling yourself you saw this coming. Not many people did, I doubt even Doug Jones did.

Deckard, Yung-T and B-Bob like this.
  5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

It ain't over till the man concedes. He ain't doing that, thus the show must go on.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Timing works. It also has to do with what's also going on in Hollywood too.

Too bad the primary electorate didn't want to vote in a less crazy candidate.

7. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I don't follow polling all that much but I will admit that I did not expect Moore to win after the allegations came out. That may just be naivety on my part.

8. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

This is probably a bigger upset than Trump over Hillary.

9. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

A lot of naivety going around the last year in regards to elections. I mean, Trump won with all those allegations and a recording of him admitting to sexual assault. No one saw that coming after the tape drop.

10. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

No one was predicting Jones win this year either, not in Alabama.

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Not many Republican voters changed their stripes during this election. Moore and Trump were just nasty enough to get lazy democrats and moderates to get off the couch and vote. Moore actually had enough votes to win the seat if this was 2014.

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Once again -- Dem turnout, though impressive, was absolutely dwarfed by Republican apathy.

The last off year Senate election (2010) in Alabama saw this....

Rep - 967,861
    Dem - 515,049

2014 (unopposed)

Rep - 795,606

Rep - 650,436
    Dem - 671,151

Throngs of regular and consistent Republican voters just simply stayed home.

Doug Jones is a good candidate and deserves credit for getting out the vote, but Moore pulled off his own historic Hillary-esqe tankjob.

Yung-T, Hakeemtheking and B-Bob like this.
  13. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Just like the national election too, I thought only 1/4 of registered voters came to vote? Roll tide.

14. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Older white males like @bigtexxx did their best to elect a pedo into the US Senate.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Ipaman, I don't "give "myself" away for free." Don't be absurd. I haven't "given" myself to anyone, politically. We are a democratic republic. Political parties are a major part of our political system. I am a member of the Democratic Party, have been to precinct and county meetings, have contributed. In other words, I participate in the democratic process. What do you do besides b**** about everyone else?

Yung-T and adoo like this.
  16. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

tried to support bernie and your party conspired to ruin his chances

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It's all a big conspiracy, ipaman. You figured it out! Lord have mercy. What will my party do now? Guess we'll just have to quit altogether. Give up. Hand over every seat in Congress in both houses, every statehouse, every state legislature, every state government elected position, every county government elected position. Heck, everything!

I simply don't know what I'll do!

18. Buck Turgidson

I'm proud of my fellow Americans in Alabama. Next stop...Mississippi? Texas?

Yung-T, B-Bob and Deckard like this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

1. File election paperwork as a Republican
    2. Do NOT molest children
    3. Victory

How do I get a job as an Alabama GOP strategist?

20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Moore did beat strange.