1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dekker Out, Casspi In

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by finsraider, Mar 12, 2017.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

not really concerned with the schedule excuse. the rockets go through the same exact problem just like any other team. rockets could do much worse then picking up a casspi but doing so doesn't mean they're going all in. he's another end of bench guy no matter what team he is on.

2. finsraider

finsraider Member

Agree it's not an "all in" move (at most, its a 2 year deal worth $7 million), but disagree that he's an end of the bench guy. He's hit 60% at the basket (66% in 2015-2016) and 39% from 3 (40% over the last 3 years). He's pretty much average at everything else. If you have those kind of numbers you're a rotation player, even on a championship team (see Richard Jefferson, Charlie Frye, etc.).

justtxyank likes this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

unless you think he's playing before nene, lou, eg which i have no idea why you would. he's an end of bench player especially on a winning team. he's never played a full season in his career. Even on losing teams he doesn't play big minutes. that's not changing at this point. You were just waived. that's an end of bench player for this team. RJ and CF are different situations. The bench is built around those guys first coming off. that's not the case here for a potential casspi pickup

4. finsraider

finsraider Member

he was waived because he broke his thumb and the initial timetable for his return was the end of the regular season....the new orleans front office was very clear about that. by all appearances (including his game vs us), he was going to be a significant part of the rotation there.

He played 27 minutes a game last year....that's starter minutes. No idea why he's only played 18 per this year when his numbers haven't dropped significantly. Probably Joeger just trying to placate all the bigs they had.

Look, I'm not expecting Casspi to be anything more than he is....a hybrid 3/4 with veteran experience and a good shot. As none of our forwards beyond Ariza and Anderson have that, I think he can be a useful player for us now and in the playoffs.

5. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Dekker has hit the rookie wall (remember, didnt play last year). He will fight thru it.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

pretty simple, he's just not that good. for an end of bench guy I wouldn't care if he was on this team based on what's available but would only be seen as a factor in an emergency situation if it came down to it.

7. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

So let's replace him with a slightly better shooter who plays no defense?

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I'd be happy to see OC get some rotation minutes in the p/o's. He would be a good p/u and worthy of retention for '17/'18.

9. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

The nights that you are going 1 for 20 from 3's and getting eviscerated because you can't counter their bigger line up would be the first reason. I guess if you were playing championship level chess you would simply have a one dimensional system where you attack with the same pattern regardless of the results.

Also Dekker doesn't fit in the "system" either because the system is based around 3 point shooting for spacing and then dribble driving P&R. Trez is actually probably the best rim finisher we have and his dribble drive is pretty strong too. Yes optimally you wouldn't want Trez to play 4 because it doesn't fit into this legendary system, but optimally you would have the personal to pull the system off. Dekker isn't shooting even decent at the 3. So why not give Trez a try at a traditional 4 to mix things up?

Live by the system, die by the system. The system is absolute, the system is perfection.

#69 Swapshop, Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

you don't know if you're going "1 for 20" until after the fact. You don't go into any game forecasting oh we're going to have a totally off night tonight. The rockets finally play to an established identity period. They make you match up to them for once, not the other way around. That's what good teams do. These bigger lineup complaints is way overblown. Again, yes it would probably be nice to have another big for depth and situational purposes but it isn't the difference between a championship or not.

11. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

True. You wouldn't know Trez is going 1 for 20 until after the fact either. Should let him shoot 3's to fit your system.

Having an identity and a strict interpretation of the system are two different things. Our starting lineup fits the system. You can retain your identity and still mix things up a little. So you say you don't know Dekker will be going 1 for 20 until after the fact. Well it is after the fact, you know now. Why not let Trez play for a few minutes at 4 to see if it has any effect?

Pen15clubber likes this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

obviously he doesn't shoot 3s so that wouldn't make much sense now would it. i guess we might as well let capella do it also

13. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I watch a ton of BIG basketball and Dekker never really was a very good 3pt shooter. SD's last two years in Whiskey he shot the 3 at .326 and .331. This year for the Rockets I believe Sam is at .316.

Overall I like Sam's game and potential, but he has to work on that jumper. Hopefully he and/or the Rockets will bring someone in so that he can improve his shot.

14. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

I guess shooting 3's and bricking it is better than not shooting 3's and going strong to the rim like the great finisher Trez is.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

As a 5 in an mda system for trez yep

16. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

He's a better rebounder and this year finisher than brew but I get the comparison.

The main difference is that dekker is a legit big boy. He's 6'9 and has a very nice frame. I bet in his prime he's pushing 240, he's got those tree trunk legs.

He's a hell of a athlete.

The funny thing is he's the opposite of most white players. He's freak athlete for his size can move dribble and get to the rim but struggles with his shot.

I think a lot of his shooting problems is he's hit a wall and that he did so well his first 20+ games to start the season that he's over thinking on how to get back to that.

If he can become a legit 36-38% three point shooter (which he can imo) he would be a real asset to this team. We've seen that when he is hitting his threes he really looks like a starter level player.

I'm not down on dekker and I understand that system requires him to take those wide open threes (there good shots) but I do wish sometimes he would just take it to the hoop or keep it moving off a drive kick.

I look at it this way.

I guarantee that one of two playoffs games this year if the rockets are to go deep dekker will be a big reason for a win or two. He'll hit 4-5 threes and be that guy the other team didn't account for and those are the type of games you need from players like dekker in order to not only go deep but win a championship.

hakeem94, No Chance and Dankstronaut like this.
  17. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

I think Dekker has more to offer than Casspi, Casspi had his shot, let's give Triple D a chance to improve his 3 point game and knowledge on the defensive end.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Dekker is our Durant Stopper.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  19. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

You want to trade Dekker next season...fine....

But Casspi isn't the guy to bring in to replace him this year. He's just not.

20. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

6'7" maybe 8" in shoes but yeah, I think he's bigger than people realize because of how fluidly he moves. 240 probably accurate, idk if it would put his back or athleticism in jeopardy but he absolutely looks to have a frame that could hold more weight too. Just look at him closely whenever they line up for free throws, it'll surprise how much thicker he is than you think, how tall he is compared to players around the nba. There's a reason why Kanter ate **** trying to block his dunk.
    Began the season shooting 40% right? I mean that's over his head probably but I think 36-38 is reasonable too. Let's all say it one last time, this is essentially his rookie season.

He's had his moments, good and bad this season. Os Trig's avatar is a baaaaad one lol...that Kanter murder scene was a good one. The memphis game he scored 30 right? I think they need to look for him just even a little bit instead of expecting huge growth out of someone basically playing clean up. That Lou Williams 40 foot lob dunk is available every time he's on the court because he's running for it. And he does have some handles, let him run ONE play off the bench? Those lobs start falling, he'll start making plays off the bounce. Those plays start coming and he'll start making jumpers.

As for the him/Trez comparisons I say look back to summer league. Trez bricked EVERYTHING. Dekker played smart, shot the ball ok, made plays and earned the role. I seriously didn't think Trez was making the team. Maybe that shouldn't matter now but I'm almost positive that's how it got here.

YaoMing#1 likes this.