1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Degree in Filmmaking

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GlenRice, Jun 21, 2011.

1. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

I could never figure out what I wanted to as a career. One day I want be a sports journalist than another day I want to jump in the IT field. Well for the last 4 to 5 months I was really interested in filmmaking. I have a aspiration to become a movie producer as you could see in this thread.

I have decided to study filmmaking to get a start from somewhere but If I end up not getting what I want will filmmaking still provide a career for me?

I just wanted get other people's thoughts on this.

2. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Hair gel.

J/K...What you should do though before you want to become....

Devry.

1 person likes this.
  3. van chief

van chief Member

columbia, MFA, film school

4. YaosDirtyStache

If youre not good at it, wasting money on a degree wont help. Film making is a talent...you can teach technique but you cant teach talent. If youre good at it already...go for it. If not, stick to peddling your wares....gypsy.

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

You can't teach someone to be a good filmmaker. Either you have it or you don't.

Learn something more technical. What are your strengths? Just find a middle ground between what you want to do and what you are good at.

6. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Follow your dreams! One day you too might become the next M Night Shyamalan!

7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

If that was my destiny; I think I'd just give up in life.
    Too bad that idiot is too stuck up to realize that he is destroying the credibility of modern day filmmakers.

8. droxford

droxford Member

..and have a good strong "Plan B" in case that doesn't work out.

9. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

New York film school after a basic education from DEVRY. ;)

OR, CHOOSE:
    :confused: black ???? Be Spike Lee's protegé.

:confused: indian???? Be M. Night Shysaldkjalfkeryoiuyasldkakjhflamalamalang's protegé.

:confused: italian???? Be that Coppola chick's protegé.

:confused: hispanic???? Be Robert Rodriguez's protegé.

:confused: spanish???? Be Almódovar's protegé.

:confused: Asian???? Be [that dude that filmed Hidden Dragon Crouching Cockroaches or something like that]'s protegé.

:confused: white and boring ???? Be Woody Allen's protegé.

:confused: like to blow up ***** and look crappy???? Be Michael Bay's protegé.

Sorry... :grin: I couldn't think of any more...

1 person likes this.
  10. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

Movie producing has a lot more to do with the business and financial side of things.

Start with writing some treatments, then move onto screenplays.

After you get some stuff proofread, find an agent and try to sell your screenplays. In the meantime, grab a camera and film everything.

Find friends in theater, writing groups, and actors/actresses.

11. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

If you want to be a producer, get a degree in Finance or Accounting. It'll help you in that field since you don't actually need to have any specific degree to be a Producer (or even a degree at all) and at least it'll be useful when you ultimately realize that you probably won't make a living at it and will have to have a "back up" plan.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I have a good friend who burned through $20 million of his own money producing such films as:

Lord of War
    The Big White
    Lucky number Sleven

Hollywood sucks, all fake, and so few make it.

DD

13. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I was a RTF (radio/television/film) major at SHSU. Worked out great for me, but I'm in TV and not film. The trick to getting into the field is just that...getting in to the field. Internships are the key. After the first couple of jobs, its all about who you know. I know people who are more than happy producing bad B-movies, and I'm just as happy producing TV - even though I wanted to produce films. The degree is very helpful with getting to know other people who will be growing in the business at the same time you are. Its a small field and you'll be suprised how you'll work with someone in Dallas, who used to work with people you know in San Antonio..etc.
    This is what I did - During my JR summer in college - Interned at Channel 13 in Houston while delivering pizzas in Kingwood and working at the skating rink in Huntsville (I worked 35+ hours during all 4yrs of college). KTRK wanted me to stay on as an intern after the semester was over, but I couldn't afford it..turned out to be a good move as I probably would have ended up working there and therefor in news for a long time - ugh.
    The next summer I campaigned very hard for the only internship spot in Huntsville and got it - produced Educational videos for the next 3 years at the 2nd largest distributer of Educational Videos in the country. This was right at the beginning of the Digital editing revolution in the mid-90's, so I learned a very valuable skill. I used my knowledge of non-linear editors (that very few people had at the time) and through our reseller, obtained a list of all the production companies in DFW that used the same system. I then called every one of those companies and sent resumes. Got hired quickly at a sports production company in Arlington which was the largest supplier of programs to Fox Sports other than FSN themselves. Stayed there for about 9yrs and met many people in the business up here. Took a Job at Daystar Television Network in 2007 (knew people that had worked there & got the names of the right people to contact). Been there since - I know many will thumb their noses down at TV, but it wouldn't be hard to jump into film from here at all - I've met a lot of producers, large and independent, and many many people in TV make small films on the side. You have a lot of access to equipment and good freelancers.
    I used to want to make films too, I'm just very happy where I'm at right now - especially with a family - film is hard with a family.

So it really boils down to getting in with the right crowd, and knowing the right people - after you get the basic knowledge.

Good luck

14. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

I like those movies, I have not seen The Big White.

15. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

The probability of success in film making is extremely low, which you obviously probably already know. In my opinion unless you have a deep burning desire AND skill this is probably a dead end career choice. Considering you've gone from sports writing to IT to film making, I doubt you have any solid prospects. IMO pick a career that'll actually provide a future, make this film making goal a secondary side thing. The truth is the majority of people don't ever reach their goals and dreams in life. Striving for it is fine, but being realistic and understanding of your capabilities is just as important.

16. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

17. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

You mean DeVry University, the premier educational institution that it is, does not have a film school you can attend?

Didn't you burn through a lot of your $$$ on DeVry already?

Better start selling a lot more used hair gel in order to save up for film school.

18. Sajan

Sajan Member

I think most adult producers do not have a degree. Mostly experience.

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Good luck Amir.

20. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Is that who that is? He was the only poster I've ever put on ignore.