1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Defense has been OK lately

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, Nov 11, 2021.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

This is about the most positive thing I can think of.

First off , green has been pretty good for a rookie 2 guard . Especially for a player who was naturally deemed a scorer in the draft . I like how we are bringing him on as a 2-way player .

Tate is great . Gordon is solid , if not fully engaged .

and our bigs have been a bit better lately . Theis picked it up from the awful first few games .

big ups to the effort level. You can tell we are having to think on offense , something that is slowing us down considerably. On defense ... even when we are down , we show pretty good fight and (sometimes) scrambling . Guys are competing most of the time . Wood and kpj are noticeable , not in a good way , but even from them I’ve seen effort a decent% of the time .

I’d like to see us try
    Gordon
    Green
    Tate
    KMJ
    Theis (or whichever C is having the best game)

Our offense has just been so bad that is frustrating and distracting us on D , turning it over and we have to play in transition , or eventually the game just gets out of reach .

I actually liked our lineup at the start of the 4th ... I thought Silas went with our best Defense ... however .. he shoulda changed KMJ for house .

anyways , if you wanna look for progress . Look here . Let’s just hope the effort stays good . Getting some wins would help .

2. topfive

topfive CF OG

3. j@amc

j@amc Member

I have no idea what to say here. The Pistons scored more points (112) in any game this season, and they weren't really fueled by our turnovers.
    If they had made 3s, we would have been blown out.

No Worries likes this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

5. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Are we even really trying

#5 Roc Paint, Nov 12, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
  6. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Was great against DEN.

Free pass against GSW (back to back(

Not great against DET unless Jerami Grant is secretly Bob MacAdoos illegitimate son

8. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Actually, the defense is slightly improved in some areas. Three point defense is statistically better, for example, but how much of that is actually the Rockets, and how much is simply bad shooting is hard to say. Screw it. I’ll say it’s better!

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  9. 34to11

34to11 Member

Good post, but it may be beyond the scope of appreciation for the myopic minions that permeate this forum.

10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It's true, Green's moving his feet better on defense (and seems really good at it sometimes) and understanding where he's messing up. The team has never played together and I don't think everyone realizes how rare it is for a team this new to each other (almost none of those returning even played together + 4 x 19yr olds) to just click. Heck I doubt it's ever happened taking their age into consideration.

Even if they were all vets, they would be playing together for the first time and would need 10-20 games to develop chemistry and get into proper game shape. We have that plus the four 19 year olds plus KPJ. I would say they need 30-40 games to be able to run the offense and defense and be used to the speed and stamina of the NBA.

For me, post All Star break is when it gets even more interesting. That's when we'll know who plans to be a good defender in their immediate career and who doesn't. The progress they've made in 10 games is really good. Maybe our team is more defensively capable than we thought, Christopher and Garuba have barely played and they show high defensive potential too.

Garuba is going to make a difference later in the season too, will boost us.

11. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Ok I’ve grown to hate House

12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes I expect all rookies to hit the "rookie wall" around game 30.

I feel like Jalen Green has been pacing himself. Knowing it's not how you start
    that impresses voters (ROY).....it's how you finish. Picking and choosing
    games against, say a Cade Cunningham or others to drive hard.