1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Death to America" chants...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by K9Texan, Apr 14, 2024.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

The "money made from it" is largely through tax-funded subsidies. That's not real economic value creation.

2. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

At least one thing we can agree on.

3. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Would you support freezing the bank accounts of "climate protesters" and pro Hamas protesters?

4. Buck Turgidson

I'm sure there's more than one.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

He's German, not French.

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

He's talking about Canada.

7. Buck Turgidson

Ok, so you're definitely French

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Good to see promotion of love and peace. Leftists and Muslims also promote love (human do have that capacity). They aren't likely on your radar probably because you are isolated through your choice of media consumption. The vast majority are peaceful with some very bad people out there. Here in the US, antisemitism that leads to the murdering of Jews is largely (if not 100%) due to right-wing extremism. Here are a few of the notable ones:

• 1999 Los Angeles Jewish Community Center shooting - A white supremacist opened fire at a Jewish daycare center, killing a 5-year-old boy and wounding 5 others.
    • 2009 U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum shooting - An elderly white supremacist opened fire at the museum in Washington D.C., killing a security guard.
    • 2014 Overland Park Jewish Community Center shooting - A former Ku Klux Klan member shot and killed three people at Jewish facilities in Kansas.
    • 2018 Pittsburgh synagogue shooting - this was the deadliest attack on the Jewish community in U.S. history when a white supremacist killed 11 at the Tree of Life synagogue.
    • 2019 Poway synagogue shooting - A white supremacist opened fire inside a California synagogue on the last day of Passover, killing 1 worshipper and injuring 3 others.

IBTL and FranchiseBlade like this.
  9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I posted an example of Muslims (Iranian women) spreading love.

You had to go quite far back to find right-wind anti-semitic violence.

Now do Islamist anti-Jewish violence.

10. Buck Turgidson

Total horseshit, at least here in Texas, which you know nothing about, admittedly.

Intro minute.

11. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

These US cities defunded police: 'We're transferring money to the community' | US policing | The Guardian

AroundTheWorld and K9Texan like this.
  12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

13. StupidMoniker

The big cuts to law enforcement you are attributing to the right are 1 pork barrel project in Alabama? Ask a cop if they want their budget cut to hire more social workers, btw.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It was 6% of the FBI budget. Ask a cop if they would like less crime and to not be called out for mental disturbance issues over and over.

15. StupidMoniker

Yes, almost completely concentrated in cancelling one building in Alabama. One pork barrel project that had been championed by a now retired senator. Not exactly a substantive attack on policing.
    I talk to cops very frequently (as you can probably imagine). Not surprisingly, they disagree with defunding the police and redirecting resources to social work, because they are still left dealing with all the real crime with a reduced budget and they get called out on mental disturbance calls anyway because the social workers don't approach dangerous mentally disturbed individuals without the police there to protect them. It is also easier to just detain them and take them to jail where they can then be seen in a safe environment by centrally located mental health professionals after going to court.

16. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, but not every PD needs to be a SWAT team, the militarization of police is just a tad bit worrisome. I talk to cops too, shockingly.

ROCKSS likes this.
  17. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

No.

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It did in the early days but a lot of it is now market driven. There is a demand for green energy and the cost of it have come down to be competitive with fossil fuels.

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Well, I pay extra for what is supposed to be green energy (solar, even though I have no idea how they would "separate the source"), and others will have been influenced to make similar decisions. I guess it's questionable how much of that demand is really intrinsically driven and how much of it only comes from all the "influencing"/shaming/nudging by government and media.

#159 AroundTheWorld, Apr 16, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2024
  20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’ve heard from LEO that they would rather not have to deal with mental health calls and would prefer to see mental health professionals deal with that.

Minneapolis has program now where unarmed mental healthcare workers are the first responders on a call if someone experiencing a mental health breakdown. LEO are in call though but serve as back up and don’t directly deal with the person having the breakdown. It’s still new but so far it seems promising and something both the public and LEO prefer.

Obviously this cost money and I’ve been critical of Defund the Police as just moving money from police to mental health doesn’t work that way. If anything we need more money for both.