1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deal done: Rockets trade Capela for Covington in 4-team deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Feb 4, 2020.

1. farhen

farhen Member

Wait till Murrey sign Bobby Brown, then it's done.

clutchdabear and rhee like this.
  2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

This would have been nice If the following things were true

1. If we didn't send our ****ing FIRST out with Clint

2. If Tilman wasn't a cheap **** who won't allow us to go over the lux.

clutchdabear, foggy94, jacoby and 2 others like this.
  3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

This seems like a very gimmicky roster that's being assembled that doesn't have that much talent for the billion picks we gave up in the process

macho GRANDE likes this.
  4. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I wish I had your optimism, but i think he's a conman. In bizarro world where I'm the poor billionaire who is supposedly only afraid of the repeater tax, I go balls to the wall for 2.5 years and slash salary in year 3 if it doesn't work. That's re-sign Ariza/Oubre, keep all FRP, Melton, use MLE's and use the assets to shed in year 3 if no championship yet or not intermittently close. We were in game 7 of the WCF against the goat team! Raptors and Warriors paid the tax because they either had to pay their championship talent, or held onto talent and salary in order to trade for championship talent.

5. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

0%.

farhen and J Sizzle like this.
  6. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

sigh... going to miss Capela. I think Robert Covington is overrated as hell.

farhen, jacoby and Imanimal like this.
  7. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I agree that the Lakers can punish the Rockets lack of size, but let’s not forget Capela was a liability on defense against the Bucks because of Lopez’s ability to pull him away from the basket.

8. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

Now I know you're angry.... but to state Capela is an elite finisher at the rim and a solid defender is taking it a bit too far. He has no post game, he can't shoot and most of his points come from alley-oops. His switch defense isn't great, and he never seems to be quick enough to help in the paint. He definitely hasn't progressed since 2018. Not to mention, he's had quite a few injuries in the past 18 months. And he literally doesn't suit our style of play.

There are many centers out there who could do the job Capela is doing.... and probably do it better on the defensive end. The only thing Capela would have over those guys would be rebounding and maybe blocking. As I said, his points average is inflated due to the alley-oop points he scores.

Am I saying the trade is good at the time being? No. We should have got more. But there's still time for us to get another couple of players in. If we don't get anymore players in.... then I will agree with you. Just relax and see what happens in the next few days.

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Beat me to it, this thread is kicking my ass. Moving so fast.

LOL

farhen, King1, DeBeards and 1 other person like this.
  10. Remlap

Remlap Member

Russ had knee surgery in offseason and can't play back 2 backs.
    But everyone is going berserk over Covington's knee when he's missed 1 game?

11. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Beasley is a restricted free agent this summer and wasn’t staying in Denver. The only mistake the Nuggets made is waiting too long to trade him.

D-rock and malakas like this.
  12. malakas

malakas Member

If KAT insists on DLO, Minny will be able to get him no problem just by the value that ONE of Hernangomez or Beasly gets when they are showcased.

Just wait

13. Red Hova

Red Hova Member

IMO opinion if the Rockets are not done the tease exceoptions they have may come into play.

14. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, this team actually got older and smaller, we lost further assets...and it's not like we're more skilled now, the front court is still without guys who can create or pass...eh, i hope Daryl can get a solid big man, maybe a talented young player and hope for the best.

15. topfive

topfive CF OG

I think two things are killing our chances of getting fair trade value in the Tilman Era (error?)...

1. Everyone knows we're desperate to stay out of LT territory.

2. See #1.

Teams are taking advantage of our poverty.

16. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

That’s fine. We have GS 2nd round pick from the trade. We also are $5.8M under the tax, so maybe we don’t use all of it. Which a lot of the centers that have been mentioned as available are all at/below that range. Guys like Aron Baynes, Kevon Looney, Nerlens Noel, Jahlil Okafor, and Richaun Holmes. They could possibly even add another wing as well. Maybe a Kevon Looney/Glenn Robinson deal with GS. Would save them over $30M in luxury tax bill.

don grahamleone likes this.
  17. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

My friend....you are 100% correct. No more overrated than Morey though.

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Clint is an elite finisher at the rim, and is a solid defender, in no way am I taking anything too far with those two statements. Clint's FG% at the rim was 72%, which is elite. Clint is one of the better shot challengers at the rim, his length and athleticism made a big impact on our defense. You won't notice it now, but wait till we meet bigs in the playoffs like Davis, Howard, Gobert and Towns, we won't have Clint to match up with them as he successfully did in the past, we now only have a 6'6 Tucker to get wrecked

BHannes2BHonest, Reeko and malakas like this.
  19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Cannot be overstated how disadvantaged the Rockets are going forward with Tilman as the owner. Simply can’t be competitive with him.

Corrosion, BMoney and malakas like this.
  20. JackLordsHair66

So do I I this doesn't excite me at all guess we shall see but it feels like there won't be much of a pay off for this deal unless we can get some depth and a serviceable center with the 12 million but TIlman probably sits on that now ... hate this owner and not loving Morey much since he's been neutered