1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deal done: Rockets trade Capela for Covington in 4-team deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Feb 4, 2020.

1. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Taking names for what? Most people that are upset(myself included) are upset that the 1st rounder was sent out just to save money. The deal could have excluded Green, Nene and the 1st. I am optimistic that we'll find value out of going small, but that doesn't mean we just lost what most experts would consider the best player and the best pick. That shouldn't happen. 2 expiring contracts and a 1st Rounder can get a decent player in return, but Rockets got nothing. It was just to save Tillman money.

How Covington plays for us should have nothing to do with which posters make your list for being upset. The only way the Green, Nene and 1st dump works out for us in the buyout market. If we get legit rotation player it still doesn't help because we're always better off with a FRP than a late 2nd. You use a FRP to get rid of the Knights and Anderson's of the league. These players make 4x more than Nene and Green and aren't even expiring. I think there is a big difference between dumping 4 Million and 40 Million, and the cost should reflect that.

BHannes2BHonest and clutchdabear like this.
  2. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Anything is possible, and I might be wrong about Covington needing a second surgery on his knee after the season. But, it seems highly unlikely that a 15-34 team in the midst of its second 11-game losing streak of the season would keep playing a guy that needs knee surgery. Especially in a league that embraces load management.

D-rock likes this.
  3. malakas

malakas Member

I think Denver is equally getting shafted like Houston.
    Hernangomez AND Beasly for a late first is a huge loss from Denver. I am a big fan of what I have seen from Beasly.

All in all Minny made it out like bandits.

joshuaao and fckbandwagons like this.
  4. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Lol. Alright bro.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

then you're complaining for the wrong reasons. and it's self explanatory what the names will be taken for. if you want to make your case, be my guest

6. YallMean

YallMean Member

Ah, the buyouts. Every year there is the buyout and no one wants to actually come here. Remember Makif Morris?

malakas likes this.
  7. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That I have, YOLO. I think we have potent pieces that need to be augmented, with the right moves....and, we're right there..yeah. It's all about the finished product, but this is one helluva way to kick it off. Such a drastic difference in value for CC than what I thought , and..the very scenario I didn't want..RoCo being the principle piece coming back for Clint. I guess it's time for a few rips and the recitation of that good ole mantra "In Morey We Trust"....over and over.
    We. Shall. See.

8. Zergling

Zergling Member

Covington is a straight up upgrade over Capela. You will see

9. Loneyroy7

Loneyroy7 Member

Will Covington play on Thursday against LA?

Or is that too soon?

D-rock likes this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

this all started with the move from cp3 to wb. And fit was the question. that team wasn't the fit for wb. this team now is much better equipped to cater to what wb can do.especially now that he has accepted his inability to shoot the 3. can't forget this helps harden as well.

show me a team that has pieces that fit together ideally and you'll likely see very good results.

Plowman likes this.
  11. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

Looking at Aron Baynes, Kevon Looney, Jonah Bolden, Nerlens Noel, Theis, and Richaun Holmes as possible trade targets for the Rockets to shore up their size issue. If they can somehow get Looney and Glenn Robinson from GS, I would be really happy with that.

D-rock and fckbandwagons like this.
  12. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I certainly don’t think you are a liar, and you are one of my favorite, most informed posters here. However, Covington’s games played this season on a 15-34 team aren’t indicative of a guy that’s playing hurt. The Timberwolves would have sat him down like they did last season if he was seriously injured.

D-rock and malakas like this.
  13. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Bunch of losers spewing this Morey is a magician crap....

CK Johnson likes this.
  14. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I highly doubt they were going to re-sign either, Hernangomez is averaging 3 points, Beasly 8 points, neither are shooting 40% from the field this year. Again I think they blossom in Minny, but they weren't going to get any mins on the Nuggets. Good deal for them too IMO.

Murray / Morris
    Harris / Craig
    Barton / Porter Jr
    Milsap / Grant
    Jokic / Plumlee

That is an airtight rotation with Porter JR's emergence.

Honestly a great deal for all teams except Houston. The Hawks should have had to send OKC's 2022 1st instead of us sending our 1st, we should have gotten Damion Jones from the Hawks as well. Or Rockets should have gone to the Celtics and got the Celtics/Bucks first rounder and Thiess. Absolutely ridiculous we couldn't net two mid/late and a rotation worthy stopgap center for Clint.

malakas likes this.
  16. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Hell yeah! He's gonna get a bunch of those with Harden and a bunch of those others with Westbrook!

JW86, DeBeards and D-rock like this.
  17. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

would be awesome. How much does Tilman care about competing?

rocketman84 and D-rock like this.
  18. Vivi

Vivi Member

Theis isn't coming here now, Boston was moving him for Capela but they have no reason now. I'd say the same for Holmes.

19. lionaire

lionaire Member

Likewise. He def has starting guard potential imo. I guess the biggest downside to Beasley is that he's due for a new deal.

20. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan