1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DB on Alperen: "His offense is always there. His defense is here and there..."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyTBag, Jan 14, 2024.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"We need him every single night. He's our C. He's our backbone to our defense. The more that he figures that out the more he will get better and better each and every year."

Leadership. So happy this man is back. We missed him greatly. Charles Barkley needed Julius and Moses to kick him in the ass to be great. We need guys like that dogging Alperen all damn day. He can do it, but there are some mental toughness lapses that he needs to work out to close the year.

#1 RudyTBag, Jan 14, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2024
  2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Sounds like they are trying to hold Alpi accountable on defense. Nothing wrong with that, but what about Jalen?

3. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

4. maypk

maypk Member

With great power comes great responsibility. At this point, except for a few delusional Jalen stans, we all know what Jalen is as a player. It's natural that Dillon and the team expect more from Alpi and hold him to a higher standard than the rest.

Alpi played a bad game on both ends and this team is not going to win many games when he plays bad.

5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

19/10/3 with 4 steals in 24 minutes is not a bad game.

I watched it. He played well.

I have no problem to say it when he has a bad game, but he was actually good in this game.

That said, I also have no problem with the vets reminding him to exert as much effort on defense as he does on offense.

Sobakawa, clos4life, Patience and 3 others like this.
  6. MystikArkitect

Pretty sure they stopped generally expecting anything out of Jalen if Ime's press conference is anything to go by.

7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I get this feeling too. It’s honestly kinda depressing

matchesmalone and AroundTheWorld like this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

There isn’t much they can say or do. He either has a break through or he doesn’t. I sound like a broken record but improvement isn’t always linear. They think it’s in him but they can’t force it. So he will get to keep playing until he either improves or someone else takes his minutes away.

9. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Around the Jalen.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  11. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Keep him propped up for a trade. Don’t want anything negative floating around him.

DrNuegebauer and AroundTheWorld like this.
  12. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Jalen is a lost cause on defense, Alpi can become a great defender.

13. apollo33

apollo33 Member

There's nothing left to say that hasn't been said for 2 years tbh.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  14. NewAge

NewAge Member

women don’t handle criticism. it’s a fact, google it.

people get outraged here because acknowledging the truth is politically controversial. but anyone with a sober look who’s not burdened by political BS can see the plain truth: Jalen is a feminine, delicate and sensitive person. Criticizing him is not gonna be productive, you have to coddle him.

Now I’ll sit back and wait patiently for the manufactured outrage… Rinse and repeat.

15. MystikArkitect

This is the first time Jalen's been made to play real defense and in a structured offense that wasn't glorified rec ball. Udoka was always going to show who were the players and who were the frauds. Alpy has been criticized for his defense and has been mainly good this year outside of the past few weeks. Jalen is just proving everyone who doubted him right.

16. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

He's right. I googled it and google told me that women internalize criticism and take it personally.

17. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Jalen green haters mainly consist of Mobley stans, kpj stans, sengunatics, and folks who hate green about things not even remotely related to bb like his fingernails or his "feminine personality" those are usually the ones u see btching 24/7 or posting habitually to trade him. There are some who are concerned about his bb skills but they aren't btching about him 24/7 bc that isn't gonna change the situation.

#17 DatRocketFan, Jan 14, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2024
    BigMaloe, 34to11, Bo6 and 1 other person like this.
  18. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

They always try to find ways to blame Sengun and I never hear **** about Jalen and Fred who take a billion shots missing most of them. I swear if Ime starts doing this blame Sengun thing like Silas did and never says anything about he guards he can ****ing go too. Im sick of it. Sengun isnt the issue make your open ****ing Threes dillion jabari fred and jalen. If you do that we would have been in this game.

Sobakawa likes this.
  19. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Context matters. Fred getting on Sengun the last two games and Ime also said something about Sengun. SENGUN IS NOT THE ISSUE. He isnt perfect but, he isnt the issue. I dont want to hear about the only guy thats great on the team doing something wrong. Tell me what youre doing to fix Jalen Green.

Ankara1923 likes this.
  20. Wizman

Wizman Member

As a Sengun fan, new to this forum, here’s ng 2 cents. Sengun is scared of fouling, you can tell his D slacks (doesn’t challenge things) early in games (so as not to pick up an early one) or if he’s got 2-3 fouls before the 4th quarter. He needs to work on jumping with his arms straight up off the move. He can do it when someone is coming right at him but doesn’t trust himself when he is moving.

Other things he needs to work on are rebounding and shooting. With rebounds he spends too long looking at his guy to block out and has no sense of the ball’s path. If the rockets were getting all these rebounds. You could argue that he is boxing out for other people, but a lot of these rebounds go to the opposing team so it’s not helping them as much as he thinks. He absolutely has to put effort into his shooting. It’s very mechanica, the release is slow, and there’s no rhythm to the midrange and 3-point shots. That is when he will be truly lethal.

The Jalen hate is silly, he needs to improve his shot but he brings a lot to the table as a penetrator and guy who can create his own shot. I think he will improve.

Little Bit likes this.