1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daylight Savings TIme

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by cml750, Apr 24, 2019.

?

What is your preference?

1. Stay on Daylight Savings Time

14 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Stay on standard time

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Keep it like it is with changes between the two of them

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. cml750

cml750 Member

quikkag likes this.
  2. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Wrong i will wait to get my talking points from fox news

Andre0087 and Rashmon like this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

as a moderate I vote for splitting the difference, roll the clock back a half hour and be done with it

cml750 likes this.
  4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I like DST and the longer afternoon with sunlight to do things after work (mountain bike, golf, etc). I don't have an issues with waking up the hour early. Wasn't one of the reasons for the change was also to help school kids avoid going to school in the dark?

cml750 likes this.
  5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Why would people want it dark earlier? I'd keep DST year round. I hate that it gets dark early in the fall/winter. The complaint about the loss of sleep is silly because it's temporary and only related to days after the time change. You adjust. If there's no longer a change, there's nothing to adjust to and lose sleep.

Richie_Rich and Rashmon like this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

I want it to get light early and dark early in the summer when it's hotter than hell. I'm selfish like that. The joys of working outdoors....

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

How about we swap them? Standard time in the warmer months and DST in the cooler months. People in the north would probably love that since it's dark well before they get out of work in the winter. I honestly don't know how they deal with that up there. It's cold as hell and they don't get to be in the daylight at all.

weakfromtoday likes this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

[​IMG]

9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In the end, I don't really care. I hate springing forward because I lose an hour of sleep. I love falling back because I gain an hour. They voted on it here in California as well.

I will not have a problem adjusting to whatever is decided. The only thing I will say is that I hope everyone chooses the same thing. It's odd when sometimes one place has a 3-hour difference and then at another time they only have a 2-hour time difference.

cml750 likes this.
  10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I would like us to go to Greenwich time and just stick to it year-round. It's just a number; people will adjust their schedules to something reasonable. So, when I get out of work, instead of it being 5 pm CT, it'd be 10 pm GMT. The daylight will be the same.

11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I think Arizona doesn't recognize DST. Another reason to wonder about them... :D

FranchiseBlade and cml750 like this.
  12. cml750

cml750 Member

Arizona does not recognize it. Since they almost always have triple digit heat in the summer, they want as much cooler dark hours as they can get.

NewRoxFan likes this.
  13. cml750

cml750 Member

That would sure take some time to get used to it.

14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I had to be in Maine some years ago during the month of November. You're not kidding, it started getting dark there at 3:00 in the afternoon, it's so far east. So we probably need eight or more new time zones as well.

15. cml750

cml750 Member

As for my choice on this, I wish they would just stick with one of them. Although I voted to stay on standard time in the poll I will add that even though spring forward is much harder to get used to I would have no issues if we just stayed that way.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I thought Arizona didn't do it because of their location but that was just guessing

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The fact that they recently adjusted the end/start date of DST in the GWBush administration, without much uproar or backlash, shows how flexible and truly asinine/meaningless this outdated practice really is.

We only observe the extra hour for over 3 months now... the other 9 months of the year is the time that we're in currently, where it does stay brighter later in the day.

Just keep it there year round. There's more and more complaints about the switch back/forth (for a now less amount of duration) than there are comments supporting it. Even when somebody gets the extra hour of sleep... it is usually followed with the complaint of how depressing it is that its now dark at 5:45pm, at a time of year (early November) where there are still some nice outdoor days.

Astrodome likes this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

Old people love standard time. Wake up when it's light outside and go to bed in the dark.

Prior to the Tuesday vote, Larson told me he envisions robust campaigns if this gets on the November ballot.

“The parent groups are for standard time,” he said. “They want their kids who are waiting for the bus (in the morning) for it to be light outside.”

Larson also has heard from another demographic in favor of how standard time provides more daylight in the morning. (And don’t blame me if you’re in this demographic and are insulted by this notion. I just report the news.)

“A lot of the older folks that have contacted our office said they like standard time,” Larson said. “They like to go to bed when it’s dark, and they like to wake up when it’s light.”

“Recreational folks,” as Larson, R-San Antonio, calls them, like more daylight for evening recreating.

“I’m agnostic,” he said. “Pick standard or pick daylight. We’ll all adjust. But it’s idiotic for a society as modern as we are that we continue to switch our clocks to try to gain an advantage. It’s the same amount of daylight. Let’s quit switching the clocks.”

Despite his professed agnoticism, I pressed Larson for which time he’d back if this indeed makes it to the ballot. At first, he sounded like the kind of guy who’d want more daylight in the evening.

“I’m as much of an outdoorsman as anybody in the House,” he said. “So I like the idea of spending more time hunting and fishing. But the reality is in the summer months the fish bite better in the morning so if I’d have an extra hour of time to fish in the morning and instead of being dark, it’s light.”

“The reality is that would be better from a fishing standpoint,” he said, adding, “Late in the evening, that’s for consuming alcoholic beverages.”

https://www.statesman.com/news/2019...voters-pick-time-and-stick-with-it-year-round

No Worries, cml750 and NewRoxFan like this.
  19. cml750

cml750 Member

I regularly work with an auditor for our company that lives in Phoenix. She was the one that told me it was based on the temperatures. There may be other reasons????

20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The money quote ...