1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

David Letterman blackmailed over sleeping with staffers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Blake, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

2. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

David Letterman told the audience of his late night talk show that he had sexual relationships with female members of his staff, and added he forked over a bogus $2 million check as part of an extortion plot on the matter
    Letterman, 62, made the confessions to the audience during a taping of "The Late Show" for broadcast Thursday night, according to a statement by Worldwide Pants Inc., Letterman's production company.
    "This morning, I did something I've never done in my life," Letterman told his audience, according to the statement. "I had to go downtown and testify before a grand jury."
    During that testimony, Letterman acknowledged unspecified sexual relationships with staff members, the Worldwide Pants statement said.

"My response to that [allegation of sexual relationships] is, 'Yes I have.' Would it be embarrassing if it were made public? Perhaps it would," Letterman said. "I feel like I need to protect these people. I need to certainly protect my family."
    Earlier this year, Letterman announced on his show his marriage to his longtime girlfriend, Regina Lasko. The pair have a son, Harry Joseph Letterman, whose impending arrival Letterman announced on his show in 2003.
    It's unclear from the Worldwide Pants statement when Letterman's sexual relations with his female staffers occurred.

But according to the statement, Letterman received a package three weeks ago containing a threat to reveal those indiscretions "if Letterman did not pay the individual a large sum of money" -- specified in a later communication as $2 million.
    "Letterman said that he referred the matter to the Special Prosecution Bureau of the Manhattan District Attorney's office," the Worldwide Pants statement said, "which Letterman said conducted an investigation, which included his issuing a "phony" $2 million check to the individual, and culminated in the individual's arrest earlier today."
    Letterman was a longtime bachelor after his first marriage ended in divorce in 1977.
    He has had at least one relationship with a co-worker in the past. Merrill Markoe, a comedian and author who was his longtime writer, was his girlfriend in the 1980s.
    Even so, Letterman has joked about others' infidelities. Numerous jokes and at least two of Letterman's famous "top ten" lists highlighted South Carolina Gov. Rick Sanford's extramarital affair. Letterman included the "Top Ten Surprising Facts About Mark Sanford" and the "Top Ten Gov. Mark Sanford Excuses" during the days after the governor admitted to having an affair this June.

Letterman has been a fixture on late night network television since 1982 after a short stint with a morning show on NBC. As host of "Late Night" on NBC and then "The Late Show" on CBS, he is second only to Johnny Carson as the longest-running late night host.

3. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Well, this is a surprise. I'll be watching tonight for sure.

4. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

He announces it on the show.... crazy. This ought to be good.

5. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

I'm surprised it wasn't with a guest.

Dude is smoother than Clinton.

6. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Wait, is this a joke? Letterman is notorious for being quite awkward and standoffish with guests that he isn't personally friendly with.

7. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

His hands were shaking. Never seen that with Dave before.

8. rudan

rudan Member

This doesnt change the fact that David Letterman is a washed up douche

9. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

Saw it..was bizarre..the audience kept waiting for a punch-line til the very end.

Not a big Dave fan, but to my way of thinking there is nothing much lower than a blackmailer.

So I hope he makes it through this o.k.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

1st Rick .. . now Dave

Rocket River

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

If it happened during his marriage and fatherhood, where would a cheating husband and father rate?

12. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Anything to try and beat Conan.

13. CHI

CHI Contributing Member

He's already been demolishing Conan for months now.

14. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Save it for the D&D; your history there makes it clear you're only saying for that one reason.

I like Dave well enough and I always chose him over Leno. Conan has made that a much tougher decision, but Letterman does have a great comedic presence. He's never really allowed his personal life to get in the way of the show, so I hope this doesn't come back to haunt it anymore than it has. Pretty low for somebody to extort him like this, though.

Wasn't Letterman also stalked at one point? I seem to also remember an abduction plot against his son.

15. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Bc a lot of ppl don't get Conan's humor. Conan has the better show.

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm not surprised at his behavior,nor at the predicament he has put himself in.
    It's all bad.

17. rudan

rudan Member

Nothing really to do with his politics, he jumped the shark comedically years ago. He's now just a shell of what he once was, kind of like an athlete that hangs on for one year too many. His jokes are stale and so is his delivery/timing.

18. worzel gummidge

He'd only smooth with young hip alternative goth chick guests. Maybe a boyfriend of an intern decided to get something back?

19. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Noticed that too.

You could tell he was really shaken by the whole thing.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Considering what he was telling the audience (and the world), I thought Dave handled it very well, with his dry wit intact. I've always been a big fan. Dave showed a lot of class tonight.