1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey, NBA issue statements

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Oct 6, 2019.

1. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I find it interesting that capitalism is what brought western influences into China over the few decades. And that it’s capitalism that has US businesses bending the knee to China’s way of handling free speech. The power of the all mighty dollar.

Vivi, HakeemOnlyFan and bingfei236 like this.
  2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

And he's done so while drawing IMMENSE attention to the actual issue. If it's enough, Morey won. We'll see.

HakeemOnlyFan, D-rock and malakas like this.
  3. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

An apology for what? He believes in something very strongly. He’s shown integrity to stand by it. It’s not easy to do when you have a whole country against you, some fans and possibly his boss.

I have a ton of respect for Morey and he’s getting a standing O from me right now.

4. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

This is just blatant racism. One wrong doesn't make another wrong right.

5. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

We know how you really feel Daryl, its ok

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

what would China have to do for the NBA to sever ties with them? they already put millions in concentration camps

Maybe if they designate single sex bathrooms?

7. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

And another damned thing; if a single Trump supporter here isn't supporting Morey I will slap the ever living **** out of you. Our President tweets more offensive things about China every damn day. He's literally started a trade war with them. I don't support Trump but god damn it, if you do, you better support Morey too.

HakeemOnlyFan and D-rock like this.
  8. PeppermintCandy

I'm still surprised that Morey didn't realize what he was getting into with his tweet. It's either he underestimated the social and political situation and the possible repurcussion to his organization, or perhaps he truly underestimated his celebrity status. Either way, a big disconnect you wouldn't expect from a person in his position and, I would assume, of his intelligence.

I don't know if his statement afterwards will be enough for the offended Chinese, who may not see it as an apology. But I thought it honestly reflected his opinion and scope of his involvement, while respecting the political and sensitive nature of the matter.

The statement by the NBA, on the other hand, tries to show it respects people's right to have an opinion, while wishing to stay in the good graces of China. It's the kind of ambiguous wording you would expect from an organization that's playing politics and trying to appease both sides, but that's expected, I suppose.

jcf likes this.
  9. Supamanu

Supamanu New Member

I support trump and i 100% support DM, absolutely ridiculous if he loses his job over this.

BamBam, ronron111, AXG and 2 others like this.
  10. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We've been at war with them for a long time.

11. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

I wonder of lebron, kerr, pop and the other nba social justice warriors are going to come to Moreys defense?

12. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Just read the Chinese version of the NBA statement and it was much harsher and stronger than the English statement.:eek:

Nook and malakas like this.
  13. CXbby

CXbby Member

Social justice issues usually either does not affect, or even boost the bottom line. Nobody in the NBA is going to come out in support of Morey and put their livelihood on the line.

14. topfive

topfive CF OG

D-rock likes this.
  15. malakas

malakas Member

VERY interesting.
    Can you elaborate?

For example in the chinese does the NBA say that Morey is outright wrong?

I know that Sliver is a snake but this goes too far.

Did they think NBA fans wouldn't find out when they say one story here and another there?

16. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

It says the NBA is "highly disappointed" about his comments.

malakas likes this.
  17. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Definitely not ESPN at this point, the NBA Jump is there to cover some sh’tty Preseason games.

18. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

But the NBA also used the word ‘support’ on Morey and currently tons of NBA fans in China are extremely upset about it and yelling to boycott the league.

Lol.

19. max14

max14 Member

Ultimately the Chinese fans are looking to be treated equally as US fans.

To the Chinese fans, Morey has touched their bottom line. If Morey has touched the US bottom line what would happen ? e.g. Morey said White Supremacy. What happened to Donald Sternling for a truely PRIVATE conversation?

Obviously we disagree on what each other's bottomline is and the Chinese netizens are idiots. But fact is that is their bottom line, brainwashed or not and they demand to be treated the same.

20. malakas

malakas Member

What a b*stard sneaky move. If this was in the english text, social media would have been on fire.

Anyway in the end, if this stops the chinese from being crybabies I will accept it.

However definite proof of what a outright liar Silver is.