1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey, NBA issue statements

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Oct 6, 2019.

1. CXbby

CXbby Member

If I were to guess, this isn't going to cut it. Probably anything less than flat out "denouncing Hong Kong riots" at this point will do. The Chinese do love their NBA/Rockets though, so I doubt they actually want this ban, it is all about saving face.

2. clos4life

clos4life Member

This might be the best non-apology I've seen in years. Way to go Daryl!

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm disappointed in Morey, not for the apology as I think he is trying to save his job, but that he didn't think through the consequences of his action. He's a very smart guy who has been doing business with and in China now for years. He should've known this reaction would happen.

If he does truly believe in the cause of HK democracy he should've been prepared for the outcry and possibility of losing his job on principle. If this was just an off the cuff tweet it wasn't well thought.

4. topfive

topfive CF OG

Yao can only lose by speaking up right now. Better to remain quiet and let it all sort out.

rfrocket likes this.
  5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

At the end of the day, we are not perfect and we **** up sometimes. Even smart people **** up. It is what it is, I just hope we can move on.

Invisible Fan, Easy and xaos like this.
  6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

In Morey supports Hong Kong's protests against China trying to assert more control over its laws, that's his opinion. If Chinese folks think it's a bad opinion, fine, but all this drama in trying to get him fired is only evidence of the poisonous level of thought control China has imposed on its population.

7. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Cool..Morey has integrity. While you shittalk cowardly on message boards.

BallSoHarden and malakas like this.
  8. Lovemachine2000

Plenty of people have lost their jobs over god damn tweets, Kevin Hart couldn't host the Oscars because of god damn tweets from years ago, so what's your point? And for the record, I don't want Morey to resign. I do want him to find out what's actually going on in Hong Kong rather than being fed some "glory" and "golden era" BS from the likes of you. Better yet, I think Morey should actually visit Hong Kong and see the situation for himself.

9. HP3

HP3 Member

Man I hope this is enough, I have no idea.

malakas likes this.
  10. Icepiano

Icepiano Member

Idk if it’s enough but I appreciate his message, even though he didn’t apologize.

I wish more people could listen to more perspectives, it would make for a better world.

11. topfive

topfive CF OG

Have you already popped the cork on that champagne?

12. CXbby

CXbby Member

It was an of the cuff tweet that was deleted almost immediately as if the internet won't have a memory. No one in their right minds would risk their 7 figure job to support Hong Kong democracy besides malakas.

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

What is enough then? His firing?

14. elrond

elrond Member

The man has serious balls. The tweet per google translate: 'I apologize not for my comments, but that you are butt hurt about them'. Definitely completely different from all of the other brands that have made missteps in China bending over backwards to appease them.

Really hope nothing happens to Morey due to his tweet. The Ringer has listed some of the ongoing ramifications such as the rox being blacklisted from being streamed.
    https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/...-kong-china-houston-rockets-tweet-controversy

rfrocket, Nook, Williamson and 2 others like this.
  15. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

So, not Nanking, not killing 60 million of your own people with Mao's various debacle, getting Hong Kong back after the lease expired is the greatest scar in modern Chinese history?!

Jesus, how do they feel about Taiwan?

I hope Morey's non-apology, apology works, and we can get back to our circuses.

16. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

The Answer: FIRE TILMAN!

mikol13 likes this.
  17. malakas

malakas Member

In the end he has educated the whole NBA fanbase on HK, he has made headlines with presidential candidates mentioning him and he issued a non apology and looks like he can keep his job.

18. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

A real apology. I don’t know even that will be enough. But that’ll be a good start.

19. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Morey ain't backing down to no one

Screw China and Tilman is the tweet interpretation

KDavis likes this.
  20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Exactly. Daryl better not get Dixie Chicked over this.

malakas likes this.