1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey is throwing away the season by keeping McHale as coach.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Swishh, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'll give Dwight a prorated max. Then use that money I save to buy a credible big...

#Cbarulesdon'tmatter

2. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Pretty sure our pick this year is lottery protected, so we're safe in that regard *phew*

If the Rockets indeed miss the playoffs, I say we don't offer Dwight an extension unless it's a massive discount, hand Capela that starting spot and hope like hell he develops into a top 10 center.

3. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Howard will leave Rockets this season.

4. Raven

Raven Member

And leave money on the table? A second time? Most pro athletes aren't wired like that, though I guess if Dwight could do it once, he could do it twice, but the cap is going up, and he'd be walking away from even more money than he did before! I just don't see it. I think he's expecting a max extension. I strongly suspect that was part of the agreement to get him to come here.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Maybe, but that wouldn't be the end of the world at all.

Yeah he's still a very good player, but on this team, if they miss the playoffs need to move in a different direction anyways with Harden's second act as a Rocket (assuming he's still the cornerstone that Morey builds around), and Howard and Lawson's contracts would hold Morey back from drastically reshaping this team.

And if this team looks to be out of the running for the playoffs (and by Tom Haberstroh's stat records, team's with this start have an 80% chance of missing the playoffs), its going to be majorly shuffled around by Morey, and Morey would likely prefer financial flexibility to make deals. Dwight opting in probably hurts Morey. On the other hand, maybe at that point trading Dwight becomes a reality, and since Dwight probably doesn't want to be traded, he opts out so he can pick his destination.

Either way, Dwight's Summer has now become worry #258 on my list of Rockets problems.

6. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Absolutely, Dwight would leave if the Rockets p-ss away this season on a lousy coach. He already left plenty of money on the table to get the hell out of LA. And given the last couple years the Lakers have endured, he's been vindicated in that decision. And keep in mind with the cap going way up next summer, he may not have to sacrifice that much money(if any) to bolt for another team.

The irony is that if the Rockets suck this year, the only possible way to entice Dwight to stay will be to give him a max deal. And if that happens, Morey's plan to lure a big name free agent is essentially dead. So he could in effect be throwing this season and the next few by keeping McHale around.

7. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

What's funny is that the Bulls were worse defensively than the Rockets last year, courtesy of JB Bickerstaff. Yet for some reason Thibs is supposed to be the savior for the Rockets this year.

8. TheFreak

There is not 'plenty of evidence' of that at all. The numbers aren't that different. Certainly nothing like when Gary Payton and Karl Malone went to the Lakers, for example.

9. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

All right: now we're going to see how the Rockets manage to keep Dwight without McHale around.

10. TheFreak

That thread is huge, can you link me to the good stuff?

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

2 people like this.
  12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Thanks J.R.

Morey can't even hold a stable relationship with Les. Typical number cruncher know it all.

13. hooroo

hooroo Member

So it was solely Les's decision to fire McHale? In doing so, the Rockets became "one of those teams" we and the rest of the league used to laugh at

14. gah

gah Member

Must spread rep.