1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Darrell Russell waived today

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Lil Francis, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I think the Texans should give him a shot. When he was playing he was one of the best DT's in the game and with Walker and Payne hurt he could make an instant impact on the defensive line.

2. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I forget... what was his crime? How much help can a guy be immediately when he has been out of football for awhile?

Intriguing talent, though...

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I meant to add, I'd prefer not to sign him.

4. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

You can't turn your back on a guy just because he made a mistake. If he can help the club out Im all for it and once he gets back in shape this guy could be a steal for the Texans. He is big, quick for his size, and has the ability to dominate a game. You can't be picky when you have Jerry DeLoach, and Cory Sears starting on the D-Line.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Sure you can and he's made more than one mistake.

6. Buck Turgidson

He's a scumbag, one of the biggest self-imposed wastes of talent in the history of the NFL. Not exactly the kind of guy a second year organization that touts it's "class" likes to sign. Think about it - the frikkin Raiders released him for personal problems.

He and Spurrier/Snyder sound like a match made in heaven though.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Class gets you Bagwell Biggio and no rings.

I'll prefer the Texans to just pick the best players. Not saying they should pick up this guy, but in general, if a guy can play, please take him.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

If the only alternative is rapists and drug users and rings, then I'll pass. I want to be able to root for my team without feeling like I've compromised my morals later.

9. Yao Wink

Yao Wink Member

Quick, lets pick up Lawrence Phillips. ;)

10. Buck Turgidson

Diff'rent strokes I suppose. I find it extremely hard, bordering on impossible, to take pride in and root for individuals whom I cannot respect. The last thing I want in a Houston team, winning be damned, is a collection of miscreants and convicts ala the Cowboys & others.

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I'm sure the Dallas Cowboy fans got over compromising their morals in 92 93 and 95.

Did you feel the same way when Vernon Maxwell was one of the better players for the Rockets in 94?

12. Buck Turgidson

To be clear...I was refering to the Irvin/Newton/E.Williams/numerous other scumbags on the Cowboys during their "glory" years.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Good for them...I guess

In a way, yeah. But, I don't recall Vernon having that many problems before that season. It all really came to a head the next season, IIRC.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I'm more embarassed that our two key guys feel free to swing at pitches in the dirt when it comes to facing the Braves in the Playoffs.

I don't understand why people feel the need to have such high character guys on their Sports Teams, it just doesn't bother me, as long as it doesn't affect team chemistry.

I'd be much more embarassed if Jesse the Body Ventura was the govenor of my state.

If Darrell Russell was a Texan when he got in all that trouble, I would be bothered that an individual could be so immature, and I would be bothered because it actually affected his playing status, but as far as being a Texan fan, I wouldn't be embarassed or feel I'm compromising my morals.

They're just athletes. They're not running for public office, and they don't represent me even if I root for that team.

But as you said, different strokes.

15. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Randy Moss has been in trouble with the law plenty of times in college and in the pros so are you telling me you wouldn't take him because he has a record? You have to look past the old stuff and look towards the future. Just because Russell has been in trouble before does not mean he can't clean up his act and be an impact player again. He is a human being which means he is not perfect. You can't turn your nose up at a guy because he made mistakes.

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Amen.

Win. with class, baby.

17. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Kinda like cheering for Tim Moss and Cedric Benson?

muahahahahaha

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

you're acting as if he's condemning the man...he's not...he's just saying he'd rather him not be on his favorite football team. of course the man should get another chance, whether it be in football or elsewhere...but if i'm bob mcnair and it's my millions on the line, i'm not signing him, either.

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Kinda. I don't like what Cedric Benson did a few weeks ago at all...neither did the team. Also, to clarify, I mean drugs other than mar1juana, mainly steroids.

As far as the Moss thing, I'm pretty sure that the guy whose ass he kicked had done something to his girlfriend that warranted that, if it's ever warranted.