1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Danuel House Jr's Final Play

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Kim, May 7, 2019.

1. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

With all the Danuel House chatter today, I tried to remember if he has played a minute since his biggest screw up in the first half of game 2. And I don't think he has. I think Mike D'Antoni can live with missed shots and occasional fouls and getting driven on by HOF players, but the basic mental miscues were just too much. Here we have James Harden trying to box out Iggy and using all his might. Capela is in rebounding position and Gordon has stayed on this side of the court too.

Instead of boxing out or just staying in between GS players and the basket, House drifts upcourt and allows Klay to get the loose ball and score on the second chance opportunity. Rebounding is a team effort, and the Rockets cannot afford those easily avoidable mental mistakes. As you can see at the end of the video, MDA is furious at House and Tucker tries to console House. I don't blame MDA. Streak shooting can come and go, but basic mental effort cannot be taken for granted against the Warriors.

2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Yup I remember that play and I also remember MDT throwing a huge fit on the sideline.

D-rock, s3ts, hieuytran and 11 others like this.
  3. Bryant2108

Bryant2108 Member

Yeah, you can’t afford those mental errors vs this team. He’s young, and will learn. Plus, in game 3, Shumpert came in playing hard, and he hit 3-5 on 3’s. MDA going with the veteran guy with finals experience, who is hustling and can obviously put the ball in the basket as well. Smart adjustment

4. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Thank you for discovering the source of his foot problems.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

It was nice knowing you Danuel. I wish you all the best & nothing but success.

Should we start the appreciation thread now or later?

6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

what chatter?

ramotadab and RRFan1994 like this.
  7. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Even before watching the clip I know what play this is. I'm almost positive this has to be his last play and what got him yanked.

Because I remember being furious at house and then remember MDA being furious as well.

I remember thinking these are those rookie mistakes and lapses we just cannot afford in this series.

I remember trying to explain it to my girl why he fuucked up so badly.

8. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

This has 200 trillion times more logic in it than pretty much anything Gerald Green has done in months.

Harden had position, AND Capela had position and was in vicinity for the ball.

House leaking out is not some bad basketball play at all.

He still recovered and contested. Green is horribad at contesting. He’s always in such a bad spot he can never get a early hand up. And he’s stupid, and he has the worst shot selection in the postseason.

9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

You might even get away with mental errors - GG and Shump make mental errors all the time. GG still puts up shots no matter what. Shump still scraps and tries to fit in wherever he can. MDA cannot excuse not giving effort on defense or offense.

House could have been bricking all manner of shots, or missed a couple defensive assignments, but if he made up his mind to get every 50/50 ball, every rebound, shoot every open shot even if he is bricking, he would probably still be playing.

House could have missed every shot he put up, but if he averaged 5-7 rebounds that would have been huge for the Rockets.

That clip perfectly encapsulates House's time on the court in the playoffs, he was just taking up space and adding nothing.

10. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Oh my ****ing god. Stop acting like this Italian horseback rider is some consistent disciplinarian.

Gerald Green is as dumb as a wet sock and he gets unwarranted minutes every ****ing game without fail.

The only reason he picks on House is because his eye for talent is so horrific he pretty much can only trust the devil he knows or is known in Shumperts case.

This guy had House on a leash when he was playing like the 3rd or 4th best player on the team in the RS.

11. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I agree that Green has brain farts and so his minutes are limited. Green does hustle and can also provide spark on offense.

But I disagree with you writing "leaking out." That wasn't a leak out. A leak out has intent to get past the defense and run a break. He was floating and being careless. That's why MDA chewed his ass out and hasn't played him since then.

Edit: I think we all can see that this is the team: starting 5 plus Rivers, some Shumpert and some Nene. That's it. Every extra minute is really like trying to squeeze out inconsequential court time to find rest for the top guys. GS is in the same predicament. Kerr and MDA are hesitant to play guys who screw up too much.

12. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Limited would be no minutes. Green should never play over House, ever. Gary Clark would be better.

fattz likes this.
  13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I would counter with GG is not out there for defense. His defense or rebounding is bonus. The effort that MDA wants to see from GG is to put up shots. GG would get taken out sooner for not shooting than a bad defensive assignment.

It's different for different players. GG is not out there to get stops, he is out there to get shots. House is out there to do both. If House isn't showing effort on defense and offense, he is going to get yelled at.

Deckard, banzai, Smacktle and 6 others like this.
  14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

fwiw: he stayed in after that timeout.

#14 heypartner, May 7, 2019
    Last edited: May 7, 2019
    D-rock, Deckard, Nook and 4 others like this.
  15. BreakYoSelfFool

I agree. This play sucked, and hopefully House gets back in this series, because I think he is still more beneficial than Shump. The problem is that House is not playing with the fire he needs to. He should be diving for every loose ball and rebound, setting picks, running off screens, boxing out and anything else that could help wear down their guys.

Honestly though not trying for rebounds or boxing out is extremely common on this team and I blame the coaching. If Dantoni always focused this hard on it, we would be killing the rebound advantage.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  16. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

:oops::oops::D

That's why I said I think. After checking, he played another 1.5 minutes.

17. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

It was bad game 1 and 2, but games 3 and 4 everyone was going for the rebounds. Game 4, Rivers and CP3 had 6+ rebounds. Clint had 9 rebounds in 20 minutes. Shump only had 3 rebounds but he was tipping balls out trying help on the boards. PJ and Harden both had 10 rebounds. Even EG, who is a TERRIBLE rebounder, had 4.

I think the Rockets finally realize if they rebound the game is over.

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

yeah, D'Antonio stuck to the planned rotation ... Rivers/Paul checked in for Gordon/House, but neither Shump nor House played in the 2nd half.

Next game, Shump got his chance and made the most of it. But, he's still making some weird ass mental mistakes, too. I kinda hope we never see House again this series, because that likely means Shump keeps hitting his threes, but I do expect to see him.

Smacktle, snowconeman22, Nook and 2 others like this.
  19. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

That was weird the last game. I think I recall after Shump blew a tire on that open layup, he really screwed up a couple of defensive switches. I'm going to re-watch the 4th quarter of game 4 to see if I remember correctly. It's such a tough spot for coaches because everyone (I think this is effecting Toronto and Denver too) is thinking in the moment, and you hate losing points to mistakes; but the big picture and load management (lol, I know) is important too, particularly when you're playing 7 deep in a long playoff series.

Everyone makes mistakes. Hell, even PJ gets beat on a backdoor occasionally. But when you're time is so limited, you really have to be focused and locked in and make sure you're putting forth your best mental and physical effort.

jcmoon likes this.
  20. Remlap

Remlap Member

Ummm, well, not exactly.
    I remember a WIDE OPEN layup last night that would have helped us tremendously
    Shump is typically as useless as the G in lasagna. He had one decent game, and we needed that.
    But, overall seems to be a liability.

Not sure if the rook is ready for the bright lights yet either. And that's where our biggest weakness lies

Voltik likes this.