1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D'Antoni on Wojnarowski podcast

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmelo, Jul 15, 2019.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

[​IMG]

tmoney1101, biff17, BMoney and 4 others like this.
  2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

It's hard not to like such a positive, nice guy. i do wish he was less 1-dimensional as a coach. i tend to like defensive-minded coaches. Or even the Adelman's of the world still put balanced teams on the court. I think MDA is a great players coach and a great offensive mind, but i also think he needs to be paired with a great defensive coach to put a truly great product on the floor. Let's hope Turner can do what he did on defense under Adelman. Turner is going to be really important to our success next year.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Reading between the lines and from what has been reported elsewhere...
    They wanted to keep Paul, they thought it was worked out between Paul and Harden and were moving forward. Then suddenly Westbrook became available because of the Paul George situation and Harden made it clear he wanted Westbrook. This was the only way to get it done and this is what your superstar wanted. If you didn't get him he would go to Miami and your star would be really unhappy about the situation so Morey bit really hard and did a move he wouldn't have otherwise done. That's not to say Morey hates the trade for Westbrook, just that he probably would have stuck with Chris. D'Antoni for sure wanted to stick with Chris.

4. don grahamleone

This is the part I'm excited about: opening up the playbook a little more. Could be a fun year.

BMoney and D-rock like this.
  5. JW86

JW86 Member

Haha MDA likes players who can stand still. How is this guy a genius with his simplified look and strategy?

BigShasta likes this.
  6. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

The CP3 he loves and loves to watch play doesn't exist anymore. He's also wrong about CP3 having 3 more good years.

7. don grahamleone

I gave it a second listen to see if I detected this Paul over Westbrook favoritism. I think he liked Chris personally, but he knew it was time to realign the franchise again. He was talking about CP like he was slowing down and needed to adjust his game, but he also praised the guy lots. He did say he was excited about the upcoming coaching year just like he was before. I think he used the word "enthusiastic" as in 'I was before and nothing's changed'.

Just my take.

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

He stressed early that he didn't think Chris was slowing down, thinks he'll be very good the next 3 years.

This isn't a knock on Westbrook though. The other poster who laughed at him saying "he's a good kid" really undersold it. He went deep on Westbrook having character and heart and that's what you want on a championship team, etc. I don't sense any dislike for Westbrook at all let me be clear about that.

I sense LOVE for Paul though.

9. don grahamleone

STFU dude. Watch some of his Phoenix days. The man is a genius. He revolutionized basketball.

You can't even revolutionize trolling.

10. don grahamleone

Yeah, that's my take too. I think he knows his love has tinted his views of CP as well.

amaru likes this.
  11. macan

macan Member

i don't know who would replace him if he's let go..

Smacktle, FrontRunner and D-rock like this.
  12. JW86

JW86 Member

People praise him for being a genius still, as if he’s one now. That’s in the past..

13. ilias

ilias Member

I loved the little anecdote with Rick Adelman, how Mike had been copying Rick's plays, and now that Adelman is retired Mike hasn't had a new play for two years.

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Doubling down on the negativity, I see.

I'm not going to defend Mike D'Antoni's coaching style, but he seems to have molded around the types of players on rosters he didn't create.

His Phoenix teams ran, ran, ran.

D-rock likes this.
  15. JW86

JW86 Member

It’s just weird to me. Harden could run an offense and actually benefit from a movement based offense with guys going around screens and passing it to them so they can actually do something with it aside from just shoot or pass it back. Our offense is 90% of the time that Harden does his thing since there’s no other option. Just pass it to someone standing around waiting doesn’t help anyone, not in the least Harden.

16. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I love MDA. I was so against him at the time of his hire. I'm so happy that Les wanted this kook as our HC. He's not perfect but dammit he seems like a delightful human. Once he wins one championship any doubts will subside.

I think he's going to make this work and It's clear that Harden wanted this trade.

I hope all three of these guys erase the doubters this year. Adding a long defender who can hit a clutch three on command while keeping our starters (moving EGo to the sixth man role) is going to be the key to unlocking this team.

17. threepointshot3

D’Antoni called the midget fat lol . He said I’m sure he will be in better shape next season. So before poking fun of hardens boobs fat so get your own house in order

amaru likes this.
  18. amaru

amaru Member

CP3 may have 3 good years left, but for 40 million a year you have to be better than “good”.

19. onreego

onreego Member

Yeah, I remember being against D'Antoni's signing but he's given some really good seasons. My hope is that my uncomfortable feeling with the Westbrook trade works out the same way.

20. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, I remember coming across this, it probably might have been worth a thread here.... Maybe, haha. But definitely really cool I thought as well.

don grahamleone likes this.