1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

DAMN!!!!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Almu, Jun 7, 2001.

1. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

SLC, QUIT IT!!! SIXERS IN 5!!! [​IMG]

You know, I thought of something else.

This game makes the Spurs look very, very, very, very bad. And it also makes alot of us who thought the Spurs would win look silly.

There was no way the Spurs were gonna win against the Lakers if we really analyzed it. The speed in the Spurs back court and the defense in the back court comes no where near Phillys. That is why Kobe kept blowing right past them and got the big men of the Spurs in foul trouble by constantly attacking the basket.

The interior of the Spurs is alot better. But, looking back on the series, the Spurs backcourt was just way too slow and with hardly any athleticism.

O well...

------------------
    Sleepless in the Bronx

2. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Aren't you overdue for MTC potty mouth?

------------------
    girl you looks good won't you mock that draft up?!

3. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

I don't think the spurs interior defense is better than Philly's. Obviously their offense is better, but I give the Sixers the edge defensively. IMHO, they have the best interior defense in the league. People really underestimate Tyrone Hill. The Bucks would have gotten killed.........

------------------

4. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Tacoma, you make an excellent point.

Can you imagine the Bucks here playing against the Lakers? Holy shiznet. Kobe scores 50 and Shaq scores 140!!!

------------------
    Sleepless in the Bronx

5. tacoma park legend

The Lakers eat jump shooting teams alive...

------------------

6. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

I thought he already said this but the Spurs' interior D looked bad because the exterior D couldn't keep Kobe from penetrating. No team in the league has a better interior D with Duncan and Robinson. Look for the Spurs to pursue E-Rob hard to try and stop the good penetrators.

------------------

The Lakers eat up jump shooting teams yet they were 0-4 versus the Knicks and Bucks.

[This message has been edited by NYKRule (edited June 07, 2001).]

7. tacoma park legend

I disagree about the Spurs having better interior defense. Duncan is not a great defender, and Robinson is hardly the defensive player/shot blocker he used to be. Mutombo changes more shots than those two combined, and again, people highly underestimate Hill's defensive abilities. They are both better help defenders than Duncan and or Robinson.

------------------

8. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Oh, and you know what else this means, right?

Excellent guards who play excellent defense can beat the Lakers.

More reason for Mobley and Francis to shore up their D this offseason.

And can you imagine if Cato ever TRIED to play to his potential? But, I ask for too much already with the Sixers in 5 and all...

By the way, SLC, did you know that:

Since the NBA adopted the current playoff format in 1984, 12 of the 17 Game 1 winners went on to take the title.

Gotta love it! [​IMG]

------------------
    Sleepless in the Bronx

[This message has been edited by Almu (edited June 07, 2001).]

9. themugg

themugg Member

mckie has a fractured chip in his ankle but will play in game 2.

------------------
    TheMugg

10. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

Oh, man... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Actually, on a totally off-topic related note, I go there on the 27th!! Why does it have to be the DAY of the NBA Draft???

------------------
    Jazzkiller

11. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Allllmost there! Where's your top secret assignment? Are you infiltrating the country of Mud from Dilbert?

------------------
    girl you looks good won't you mock that draft up?!

12. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

He doesnt have a broken ankle. Just a bad sprain according to the NBA.com channel. Brown says that Mckie will probably be ready to go in the next game.

------------------

13. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Does this mean that I can't put an asterick by the Lakers name if they win it all? [​IMG]

------------------

14. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

You know what's funny? Since the NBA adopted the current playoff format in 1984, almost every single Finals winner was the better team of the two.

Doesn't bode well for your Sixers... [​IMG]

Oh, Achebe...nope, the next place We invade ( [​IMG]) is Bucharest, Romania, and I'm helping to oversee the operation. [​IMG]

------------------
    Jazzkiller

15. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

You are a persistant booger, aren't you SLC? :p

Ok. When the mighty fall you will believe, baby!

And I am almost sure of it now since McKey will be playing!!

------------------
    Sleepless in the Bronx

16. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Last nights game reminded me of the beginning of the Bulls-Lakers finals. The Lakers gutted out an away court victory on a Perkins 3 only to awake a sleeping giant and not win again.

Also, the Knicks were also able to win a game or two last year against the Lakers on great perimeter defense and having a good offensive night. Same deal as last night, but real hard to sustain over a series.

I will say this though, the 6ers are one tough bunch of guys. And the success of them last night and the Knicks last night make the Spurs look weak, weak, weak, as others have pointed out. It also makes the trade of Ratliff for Dikembe look real smart. Dikembe is a warrior, and if you have to play Shaq, you want him on your side.

[This message has been edited by Desert Scar (edited June 07, 2001).]

17. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

How many more examples do you need to know that Phil Jackson is the devil? The guy will never get an injury during a crucial stretch in the playoffs. Never. You just can't beat this guy's luck. The Sixers are playing without Lynch (one of my favorite players), and now McKie (who was amazing, I hadn't seen much of this guy, but he shut Bryant down and hit big shots) is hobbled. They played the Spurs who were without their 2nd-leading scorer and best perimeter player. Some people think that Webber was hurt when they played the Kings. It goes on and on. Of course LA is the picture of perfect health, just like Chicago always was. Jackson is the devil.

18. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

They signed Derrick McKey?

------------------
    My doctor says I am bipolar. I am going to get a second opinion. I have never had intimate desires for polar bears.

19. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I forgot to respond to this point by Desert Scarvajal --

Let's remember that Magic got hurt in Game 3 of that series, and was out the rest of the way. Then Byron Scott got hurt, and he was out. It seems like the entire LA starting 5 went down by the end of that series.

And of course, Chicago had no injuries.

20. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I see you point that Phil J. may be the <i/> devil [/i]. Just goes to show you defintely want to have Phil J. on your side, because god is way too busy to mess with basketball.

True Magic got hurt. But I hate to admit it, the Bull were going to take it to them that series anyway. Magic has said as much. That Laker's team never should have made through Portland, but somehow they did.