1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Damn Jim Rome is funny

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Drew_Le, Jul 25, 2001.

1. Drew_Le

Drew_Le Member

has anyone else listened to his take on the gold club testimony? damnit he cracked me up.

------------------
    What is the difference between Kelvin Cato and Macey Gray??

Macey has bigger hair

2. hitman21

hitman21 Member

Rome is a genius. A few years ago he told a story about Otis Nixon. Out of nowhere, his voice got really serious and he started asking question. He wanted to know who covered this up and why it wasn't on ESPN? He went on and on for about 5 minutes; he was outraged, but he never said what it was about. After the questions he said something like " why was Otis Nixon and the obvious fire he has been in never publicized?" I laughed my a** off. Then he went on to say that Otis Nixon actually stole Sugar Ray Leonards' wife away from him.

------------------
    the best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is like Rush, funny but hard to take sometimes.

I wonder why he never asks Jim Everett to be on the show...oh, I know, cause he b**** slapped that weazle Rome on national TV.

DaDakota

------------------
    If you like RTS games, check out this one.

www.frontierwars.com

coming soon to a PC near you.

4. PhiSlammaJamma

Why was Otis Nixon so fast from home to first on bunts?

He has a nose for following the white line.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

5. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I don't care much for Rome but one of the funniest things I've ever heard was him describing the "Dog Outdoor Olympics" with contests like jumping off the end of a pier for distance and chasing a rabbit. This was a real thing but his description was just unbelievably funny.

------------------
    Who's your buddy? Who's your pal? I am, aren't I?

6. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Jim Rome can be hilarious. The Gold's club takes are just classics. The "I killed the dog" sled races are funny. One of the funniest takes I heard him do though was when the riots broke out in LA during their first title run in 2000, and Rome said those weren't Lakers fans, those were "Riot fans", and just tore into every riot fan in every city. That just had me in tears!

------------------
    "Instruments are like women: After a while, you want to make love to another."

- Nicolas Godin of the musical duo Air

7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I listen to Rome when I get a chance, which isn't often, but he is pretty funny. My favorite takes are when he goes on and on about how violent a sport soccer is for the fans. Several times a year some serious incident occurs and hundreds of people are killed internationally at soccer riots, and he rags on it hard.

I hate soccer.

------------------
    Life is a **** sandwich. The more bread you have, the less **** you have to take.

You can Run from the bet, you can Rave at the bet...but you just can't hide.

8. EddieGriffin

EddieGriffin Member

I love listening to Rome but I get annoyed because he brings up the Barry Bonds/Sid Bream thing up WAY too much. Some think it's funny. I think its annoying.

------------------

9. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Man, everyone knows the best thing about the Jim Rome Show are e-mails from the "clones". I just can't get enought Orinthald and Peter Gammons(sp?) takes. [​IMG]

------------------
    The season's over, but the 'Stros have started. Guess I'm still gonna be nursing that keg...

10. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I like Rome a lot. I think he's one of the more informed hosts out there, and his show is VERY entertaining. Although there are some things I dislike -- mainly the thing about how he rags on people until they come on. He was really against McGwire and Barkley, they came in, now he "loves them".

But I also think his show has gotten better over the past years. He's learned what buttons he can't push (Chris Everett), and he's become a bit more mellow. I try to listen whenever I can because it's the most entertaining radio program on.

------------------
    I'm looking for a job, so hire me

"And I just have to smile and say 'well, I hope so' while I'm really thinking inside how I'd like to just strangle them and take their job."

11. Band Geek Mobster

The only problem with Rome outside of what Vengeance eluded to is how he just talks about something over and over and over. That get's kind of tired...

The best Rome moment for me was when he switched to "Niiiiiiice Radio" for a couple segments.

Still the best part about Rome is Terrence in Sierra Madre, I can't get enough of that guy...

------------------
    So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking,
    Racing around to come up behind you again.
    The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older,
    Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

12. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I love the way he's always saying things like "Ok, clones, I'm not no more takes about OJ doing blah blah blah. It's not funny." Thus subtly encouraging the listeners while appearing to take the high road.

Hew does this all the time, and never gets called out for it. You also have to love the sado-masochistic relationship he has with his listeners. He spends all his time degrading them, and they just say basically, 'please, Mr. Rome, whip me again."

------------------

13. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Dear Jim,

I have a knife!

Sincerly,

Orinthal

[​IMG]

------------------
    Who's your buddy? Who's your pal? I am, aren't I?

14. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Gawd...Terrence in Sierra Madre is still around? Has he gotten a tube of Primatene Mist yet? When I used to listen to Rome, Terrence would always be on the borderline of having an asthma attack whenever he came on

------------------
    Mein bratwurst has a first name, it's F-R-I-T-Z
    Mein bratwurst has a second name, it's S-C-H-N-A-C-K-E-N-P-F-E-F-F-E-R-H-A-U-S-E-N

15. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

I think the funniest moment was the Niiiice radio too. That was freaking hilarious. Rome's goldclub stuff is pretty funny too. WHat I hate though is how, after FOX started showing Nascar, he gave in to Nascar. In like how he butchered Nascar.

------------------
    __ Ñ _ _ _
    /_ ______ _ \
    ÝÝÝÝl____| * |___ lÝÝÝÝ
    ¡,.-ñý¯Çi ¡,.-ñ~ñ~ñ-.,¡ `¯ýñ-.,

16. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Well, he still is anti-Nascar, but I think the turning point was when Jeff Gordon came on his show. And then after Dale Earnhart died, some of the jokes aren't really so appropriate. Like the "amulance, roof again) sound clip.

------------------
    I'm looking for a job, so hire me

"And I just have to smile and say 'well, I hope so' while I'm really thinking inside how I'd like to just strangle them and take their job."

17. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Terrance is Sierra Madre has a good schtick, but to me the greatest part about Rome's show are his guests (well, some of them). Like I make sure to listen whenever I know Mark Grace is going to be on. Hearing him go on about slumpbusters was classic. Also, whoever told that story about Dr. Boudreau was hilarious.

------------------
    I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip that I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis.

18. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

I can see how he would be annoying to people, although I enjoy him everyday!
    His strength is that he really, really, does excellent interviews and asks very inquisitive questions. You can tell he's done his homework and is always very prepared to interview someone, always ready with pertinent questions to the interviewee.

OUT! [​IMG]

------------------
    This space left intentionally blank...

19. rock

rock Member

I listen to Rome every once in awhile. I have to agree with his take on golf.

------------------
    There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path.

20. coma

coma Contributing Member

Hey,

I don't listen to Rome, but will watch it now and again if I happen to be surfing.

What happened with him and Everett?