1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[DaMN]Another NBA title will end up in Texas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JeeberD, Nov 2, 2007.

1. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

This is actually from yesterday's Dallas Morning News, but I didn't see a thread on it yet. If I'm mistaken, please lock it up...

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...haw/stories/110107dnspocowlishaw.373a5c4.html

Another NBA title will end up in Texas

11:49 PM CDT on Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Another NBA season is upon us and the big story is the return of the Boston Celtics.

Everywhere else. Not here.

The chance that the arrival of Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen will get the Celtics into, oh, maybe the second round of those highly competitive Eastern Conference playoffs seems to have the media that covers the league, even the league itself to some degree, giddy.

A couple of words of caution: calm down.

The Celtics might win 45 games, but they aren't likely to play deep into May or get anywhere near June. Besides, it just doesn't matter.

The start of the season means it's time to figure out which team from Texas captures the title this year.

You know, in the last 14 seasons, the Celtics have actually won a playoff series two of those years. In that same span, Texas teams have captured six NBA titles.

And, as Mavericks fans painfully know, change the end of Game 3 in '06 and the Lone Star State would own half the crowns over that period.

I see another title for Texas. But which team? There's so much to choose from.

Start with the Spurs. That's got to be a good place to start, since they have won four times in the last nine seasons. This is the league's model franchise, much like the Patriots are to the NFL, only without the hidden cameras.

The foundation for the Spurs' rise to greatness was luck. Considerable luck, if you think about it.

It takes luck to win a lottery as the Spurs did in 1987 to get David Robinson. Then it takes more luck (bad initially, then good) to lose Robinson for all but six games in 1996-97 and plunge from a 59-win team to a 20-win team to get back into the lottery and win it again to get Tim Duncan.

Since then, luck's had nothing to do with it. The Spurs have great scouting, a relentless coach and a winning nucleus.

I just don't think they win it all this year, because those 100-game-plus seasons that a championship requires exact a toll on the legs of Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili, Bruce Bowen, maybe even Tony Parker.

They're going to deliver another high-quality if underappreciated season for their fans. But it ends in the second round.

As for the local club, coach Avery Johnson seems to be taking the right approach in easing off the gas (just a bit) and letting the players learn from their mistakes and lead from within.

At least that's what he says he will do.

And as I wrote last week, there's a lot to like about the core of this team. OK, so I said I hadn't seen a magazine that liked the Mavs' chances to win it all, and many of you were kind enough to point out that Sports Illustrated picked Dallas.

Thanks for your letters. Who reads that dinosaur, anyway?

The biggest concern still has to be the lack of a scoring presence down low, although the return of Juwan Howard helps a bit. And we'll see over time how much Dirk Nowitzki has improved in that area.

I think the Mavericks give fans their money's worth and get all the way to the ... Western Conference finals?

Yes. It's true. I see the Houston Rockets hoisting their third championship banner in June.

I realize the team has this one little flaw of NOT HAVING WON A PLAYOFF SERIES IN 10 YEARS.

However, twice in the last three years, it has led first-round series, only to lose seventh games to Dallas and Utah. Had they held on against the Jazz, the Rockets would have smoked Golden State with their inside power as Utah did. It just didn't happen.

That only gives the Rockets the same fuel to get through the 82-game season that drives the Mavericks. There is a real desire to prove critics wrong, to show that there is not some tangible flaw in the makeup of the team.

Sometimes these things just take time. Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant, the best inside-outside combination of this generation, didn't win their first of three titles in Los Angeles until Year 4.

Hint, hint: This is Year 4 for Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady.

Yao's scoring rise has been steady. McGrady is a superior player at both ends of the floor. The team still has the defensive base that was instilled by Jeff Van Gundy, but now it has an outstanding if unloved offensive coach in Rick Adelman.

Seriously, what were the Trail Blazers doing in the 10 years before he got there and guided them to two NBA Finals? What were the Kings doing before he got there and turned them into the league's most entertaining team, a perennial 55-game winner that was a Vlade Divac tipped ball away from conquering the Lakers?

It will take time, but McGrady's offensive skills will be enhanced. There are better role players around the two stars than there have been.

The bottom line: Three of the league's best five teams (the others are Phoenix and Chicago) play in Texas. Some people argue that nothing matters until the playoffs, but I think the Southwest Division race alone is going to be an incredible ride.

Any of these teams could win 60 games. But the one most likely to win 16 next spring looks like the one that hasn't quite made it to four in the last decade.

2. allforone

allforone Member

Ok, get ready for the parade

3. blaqnitti

blaqnitti Member

Nice Read

4. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Nice to get some respect from the competition. Also nice not to hear the words "If T-Mac & Yao stay healthy..."

5. Yakapo

Yakapo Member

Crazy. a Dallas journalist is picking Houston to go all the way.

6. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

we know its not that dumbarse Eddie Sefko that wrote it then...

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It doesn't look like it took much time.

8. aaaccchhhooo

aaaccchhhooo Member

ha ha ha ha ha..seems like the writer is anti-celtics...chicago over the celtics?...come on now...ha ha ha ha....but nice read about our rockets

9. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

It was Tim Cowlishaw, one of my favorite writers. Also the best panelist on Around the Horn.

If you ever saw the Dallas Quick Newspaper, you would've also noticed that they said Rockets will have the best record in the West.

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

That was a pretty good column, and not just because he picks the Rockets (although that doesn't hurt ;) ). Kind of sad that the mavericks are relying on Juwan Howard to be their "scoring presence down low". Wow....

It's really too bad the Rockets don't play in the East. Seriously, we would push 70 wins this year if we weren't in the West.

I would venture to say that the best team in the East is only the 7th best team in the NBA.

11. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Great to read positive press but lets just hope our guys keep proving it on the floor! So far so good! :D

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

That's not a stretch at all.

13. Mad-Mac

Mad-Mac Member

Seriously, I think I just had my first heart attack.

I didn't need any more encouragement to be excited, but an honest Dallas media is great.

14. DreamRoxCoogFan

are you sh*tting me? a dallas guy picks HOUSTON?
    a- this guy must be getting some serious sh*t for writing this
    b- his arguments arent entirely convincing...

15. aaronnguyen

aaronnguyen Member

Like every year whoever comes out the West will be the best. This year I like our chance to compete with the big three: Spur, Mavericks and Sun. Because this year we finally have what we are missing a strong supporting cast.

16. darnbni99a

darnbni99a Member

our division>>>>>rest of the nba

17. m0lson

m0lson Member

WHAT? Juwan is in Dallas? that traitor! :mad:

18. drankcity

drankcity Member

lets not get ahead of your selves now..........80 more games plus playoffs......but im excited!

19. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

thats a first, bit i like it :)

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Thanks for quoting the whole thing.