1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D&D Coronavirus thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 23, 2020.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've been hearing that the virus might've mutated to a less dangerous form. I really hope so because we have lost on the social distancing side and quite a bit on mask wearing.

#4781 rocketsjudoka, Jun 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I still say that those who are irresponsible in taking precautions should be at least fined and if someone they came into contact with, dies as a result of their carelessness I wouldn't oppose manslaughter charges.

deb4rockets and RayRay10 like this.
  3. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

31 year old with no preexisting condition dies of COVID-19. This isn't over and it isn't just the elderly who can die from it.
    https://www.mprnews.org/story/2020/06/07/st-paul-school-board-chair-marny-xiong-dies-from-covid19

St. Paul school board chair Marny Xiong dies from COVID-19
    Emily Bright
    June 7, 2020 10:25 a.m.

St. Paul school board chair Marny Xiong died Sunday morning of COVID-19, after she was hospitalized for a month in critical condition, according to her family. She was 31.

"We prepared a celebration for her return and waited, and waited but she never came home," Xiong's family said in a statement posted online. "We prayed and prayed for a miracle but none was granted."

Xiong grew up on the east side of St. Paul and earned her college degree at the University of Minnesota Duluth. She served as school administrative manager at Hmong International Academy in Minneapolis. She was elected to the St. Paul school board in 2017 and became chair earlier this year.

"Marny will be remembered as an inspiring community organizer, a courageous leader and fierce champion for education, gender equity, and racial justice," her family wrote. "She was a selfless public servant who made the community’s problems her duty to solve. To those who knew her, Marny was more than a loving daughter, aunt, niece, cousin, a devoted friend and sister. She was beautiful; she was a book of generosity and fire."

Xiong's family said "she dedicated almost all her adult life towards education because she believed education was a foundation to dismantling structural racism.”

In a joint statement, St. Paul Public Schools Superintendent Joe Gothard and school board Vice Chair Jeanelle Foster wrote: “Those of us who were fortunate to know Marny and work with her have been inspired by her tireless efforts to support students, fight for inclusion and never give in to those who would divide us.” They added that they would “honor her by continuing to fight to break down and remove barriers to and within the educational system.”

A GoFundMe page continues to raise money to cover medical and funeral costs. Funeral arrangements are pending.

4. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I guess it depends on what is considered irresponsible. I've had a lot exposure during medical at protest, volunteering on clean up and other gatherings following the protest. I've been wearing a mask. There is pretty much no social distance at these protests and I would say maybe half are wearing masks.

5. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

So if people who are at those protests get sick and can show they were near people who weren't wearing masks, the ones not masked she be held accountable.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

This Guardian article makes a lot of sense for me, but I'm generally that guy who worries about the consistency of messaging over issues and how people react to it months later.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...t-changed-the-coronavirus-narrative-overnight
    Two weeks ago we shamed people for being in the street; today we shame them for not being in the street.

Anyways, we'll definitely see in 2 weeks if Covid's gone into hiding during the warmer season, but I think scientists dismissed weather early on because of cases in the southern hemisphere during our winter.

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

8. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I'm listening to Dr. Scott Gottlieb and he brought up an interesting take on why we might see the virus spiking in AZ and TX. We're seeing things level in MN and deaths and hospitalizations decline in MN. I've been speculating if that might have to do with that it's warmed up in MN and if the heat might actually have something to do with it. This doesn't seem the case with hot states like AZ and TX. Dr. Gottlieb pointed out that yes it is hot in AZ and TX but it's so hot that more people are spending time in inside under AC rather than outside where the heat could work on the virus.

joshuaao, No Worries and RayRay10 like this.
  9. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

What about the ones not practicing social distancing? It seems that the is the best way to avoid this virus. Marching arm in arm with masked persons seems dangerous.

10. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Not as dangerous as being black during a police stop.

Invisible Fan and RayRay10 like this.
  11. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I agree but some social distancing is in your control and some isn't. Sure arm and arm marching is in your control if it's prolonged. Can't always control who comes close to you, though.

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

13. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

Ziggy and RayRay10 like this.
  14. NewRoxFan

15. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not good, especially with players and coaches with family members at home who have health problems. Bill O'Brien's son comes to mind. I don't know about the rest.

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. NewRoxFan

One of the republican congressmen who refused to wear a mask while in congress...

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

“Abbott said that measures such as wearing masks, hand sanitizing and social distancing are what make it possible to reopen the state's economy.”

“Abbott signed an executive order on April 27 that says while individuals are encouraged to wear face masks, "no jurisdiction can impose a civil or criminal penalty for failure to wear a face covering."

Then why is he not allowing local officials to decide on their own if they should fine people for not wearing mask? For someone who want to not lockdown again and believe wearing mask is important, he sure is blocking local officials from doing the thing needed for us to stay open.

19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

On Tuesday, a group of Texas mayors—both Democratic and Republican—wrote to Texas Gov. Greg Abbott asking that he help them enforce local regulations requiring the wearing of masks to protect against COVID-19. “If you do not have plans to mandate face coverings state wide,” wrote the mayors, “we ask that you restore the ability for local authorities to enforce the wearing of face coverings in public venues where physical distancing cannot be practiced.” And the mayors got a swift response from Abbott … who barred mayors from implementing any rules that would require face coverings. Because there is no situation that can’t be made worse with determined ignorance.

20. NewRoxFan