1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cutting the Rockets some slack??!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Bigman, Nov 9, 2001.

1. Bigman

Bigman Member

I keep reading various posts in different threads about cutting the Rockets some slack. I'd like to point out to those who feel that some of us are just picking and should keep quiet because of our record that we are FANS here (which happens to mean FANATICS). We aren't picking just to pick. We are looking for ways to improve. We expect more out of this team because the talent is there. 5-1 is great!!!! But from a personal perspective I worry about a long season and can see potential problems that I hope will work itself out. For those who say cut them some slack, I say to you: I'm a die hard fan. I'm happy with the record. But I won't be satisfied until the goals that I expect from this team have been met. So get used to the picking. But understand......It's done out of love. ;) So we both share a common ground, it's just that I'm looking ahead of our current record. We have a tough division and I expect this team to make the playoffs. Great start ! But let's face it. This team hasn't reached it's potential yet. And if we lose tonight in Denver, you can surely expect all of us "pickers" to come out in force. All out of love of course:D

2. pooh222

pooh222 Member

You are exactly right. Yes the record is great, but the schedule has really been friendly. The Rockets have no flow right now. I'm looking at the second quarter right now, and the Rockets should be wiping the floor with the Nuggets. The Nuggets are just awful and they're giving the Rockets all they can handle. The Rockets are in trouble if they don't improve in the coming games.

3. Bigman

Bigman Member

Well, this let down was almost expected - As much as I hate to say it. Back to Back games. Our two star guards playing so much, then hitting a wall. I saw it coming. Screw it. It's just one game. SO I'M NOT GOING TO PICK!!!!! lol. Next game we need to come out and kick ass. I mean make a freakin statement!! And I'm going to re-state what I've stated in every post. KT!!!!! Is he not picking up Mo T's production? He's always had the footwork and hustle. Biggest difference is that he finishes now. Oh well, it's a long season and I'm not worried about this one loss because I still see the potential. Even though I pick....I still believe.

Side note: I really wanted to book a charter to Denver tonight. I had the sick urge to bust a couple of knee caps ala Tanya Harding. Problem is that it's a longer flight and I couldn't make it in time......So blame me for this loss;)

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Side note:

Bigman rocks! What a post game prediction of bbs behavior that was!

5. DLS

DLS Member

I was looking at everyones schedule, and we have a easy schedule? Yes it's weak. But tell me this, Timberwolves are on the up and up right? Look at thier schedule, the only above .500 team from last year they've played was us(and the Knicks but they suck now:D) . A 2 point victory at that. The 4 other wins are against Memphis, Chicago, Philly, and New York.

After looking at other peoples schedules, hmm can we stop saying our good start doesn't count because it's against weak opponents. A good start is a good start, just ask Minnesota.:D

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

You see, I don't necessarily believe that. Really what we have right now is the best backcourt in the league, and nothing else. To be 5-2 is really something to be happy about, even though we haven't beaten anybody good yet.

7. Bigman

Bigman Member

Not sure if that's a barb or not......I didn't read the postgame predictions.

Tuesday will be a test of this teams will. I'll be fired up and expect the Rock's to be also. Plus I can make it to San Antonio in time if things go wrong early. If you see some fool run out and bust Duncan. It's me.;)

8. heypartner

Not at all. I enjoyed your soothing commentary after this trouncing we took, in this thread and another.

I think I meant to say *pre*game predictions of bbs behavior, based on this statement you made before the game.

btw: what exactly is a picker. Something like a nit-picker?

9. Bigman

Bigman Member

lol....Well, you can pick your friends and you can pick your nose. But you can't pick your friend's ........ah nevermind.

To answer your question as to what exactly a picker is.....I think it would be a group that points out possible problems, suggest possible solutions yet still have love for the Rocks. (I would put you and myself in this catagory). You can always hide your head in the sand and say "Gee, we've got a great record. Why complain". Or you can watch the games and observe with an open mind. I'd like to think most will do the latter.:) :cool:

sidenote: I know these smiley's are gay!:eek:

10. heypartner

Not that there is anything wrong with it. ;)

11. Bigman

Bigman Member

Hey...I'm not coming out of the closet!!! Not that there's anything wrong with that.;)

12. IVFL

IVFL Member

I understand why people pick on what is wrong with the rockets, but its funny to me. The season is 82 games long, after 2 games people are calling for walt and rices head. Clam down if we are 20 games into the season and walt still is stinkin up the joint then call for his head not 2 games into the season.

I love it when the rockets win, but if they won everygame it would be a very boirng season, Just know that the rockets may lose more than. . . :eek: 10 games this year.:rolleyes:

13. Bigman

Bigman Member

I agree with ya. Rice needs time to jell. Walt......well he's just Walt. The streakiest Rocket that I know of (besides Sleepy). He's either on or off. But he does do the little things. Someone posted earlier about the 'one' high pick and roll play we use. Let's face it. Right now that's at least 80 percent of our offense. High pick & roll into an iso. I'm sure it's a pretty high percentage play, at least in Rudy's book, but I'd love to see more motion to free our guards and Rice up for easier looks. As you pointed out, the season's young and hopefully we're just seeing a small portion of Rudy's offense. So I reserve the right to pick but will roll for the time being. I'm sure we'll all have a list of gripes if we loose Tuesday.