1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CUSA Title Game: Houston vs. Somebody

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by DonnyMost, Nov 25, 2011.

1. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Missed up that Sumlin was going to jet even if the Coogs were going to a BCS game.

2. liamrock

liamrock Contributing Member

I feel sorry for the Ags the are thinking Sumlin is going to be the top tier coach to lead them to SEC glory.

I give him 3 years in College Station.

3. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

This game showed me that:

1. Keenum is cannot improvise that well. Yes, he virtually no time. But I didn't feel he made many audible changes to mix in quick passes, and he is just not fast enough to even buy any time from pressure. Most of the pressure was up the middle too, so much harder to simply step up to avoid it. Will need perfect system with good run game in NFL to succeed.

2. The offensive line and defensive line are not up to snuff. If this happened against a BCS team, this would be expected. You would have to know that Southern Miss has had some of the best non-BCS recruiting classes the past few years. This is on Sumlin. He has been there 4 years. They were not overloading with blitzers, just getting them on stunts, switches, and twists. Most of the d-line could not get off blocks. Just horrible line play.

3. I can understand if Southern Miss "surprising" Houston in the first half, but what won the game was the running game in the 3rd quarter with like 3 straight 3 and outs offense. Sumlin lost the in-game coaching adjustment battle badly here.

4. solid

solid Contributing Member

Evaluating Keenum based on this game is not fair. I still believe he is Drew Brees II in the NFL. If Tebow can make it, Keenum can make it. I do agree that Sumlin was a big part of the loss. Not only was he a HUGE distraction, but he made multiple coaching errors today. As they say, defense wins championships and MSU was the much better defense.

5. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Sorry, Coog grads. Was pulling for you.

6. solid

solid Contributing Member

Thanks, I often cheer for other teams. Oddly enough I support A&M as long as they are not playing UH. I supported UT when they played USC for national championship; I had a big viewing party at my house. People get too personal about all this, it is basically entertainment. So many comments are hateful; totally unnecessary. These are young kids; they are not going to be totally consistant.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Sorry true UH fans. I feel for you guys. The bandwagoners that appear out of nowhere -- HA-HA and go back to your hole.

I wonder if Sumlin has accepted the TAMU job and it contributed to the loss. That'd suck. Whether it be from lack of focus or TAMU's curse seeping into the Cougars locker room like that staph infection that used to be in Cleveland's locker room.

8. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Same here.

9. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

It's okay, fans. UH already won Conference USA champs in 2006 and coogs is having an amazing season this year. Case Keenum already set record in most categories. 12-1 is something that we never witnessed ever before. Looking forward to bowl game (maybe Liberty Bowl or something) and I hope coogs win to close the amazing season.

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

UH fans are terrible. They are all like go coogs, coogs are the best and when they lose they leave early. Despite the loss it was a great season. It is also Case last game. They could have stuck around showed some appreciation.

11. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Sorry UH. :( Although I'm a UT alum, I was rooting for y'all.

Hope this one bad loss doesn't prevent your program from getting better.

12. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I've watched Keenum before. All I said is he can do well in the right system, like a Payton or Brady offense like you refer to. This was the first time I've seen him deal with that much defensive line pressure without blitzing and he didn't handle it well. That is basically what I was pointing out.

This was a total team loss. Sumlin was outcoached, but both lines were outplayed. Receivers didn't seem to find soft spots in coverage or create much separation. They had huge drops that would totally changed the momentum and aspect of the game in the first half. Defense was totally not disciplined all game.

13. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Thanks for the input. It will be taken seriously in my grad school decision-making process.

14. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Yeah umm, a stinging loss, and sitting right next to the USM section. There is no way in hell I'm staying to the bitter end for that. It was a great season, 12-1 is awesome...but right now I don't give a crap about any of that because they just blew it.

15. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

A true fan cheers for his team to the end.

16. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

LOL.

"Oh well, we blew probably our last chance at a BCS bowl for another 20 years but at least we beat a 4-8 team earlier in the season."

Does bigtexx really get to y'all that bad?

I am not condoning bigtexx's behavior, he's a damn troll and embarrasses us all Rice grads

17. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Well, congratulations cougars on a nice season, too bad you guys didn't get the conference championship. Was pulling for you guys to make the BCS. Just wasn't meant to be though.

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Bigtexxx dominates Moes19's thoughts and controls his emotions.

1 person likes this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

MarkBermanFox26 Mark Berman

20. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Damn this sucks, I wanted to see UH vs Oregon in a bowl game really bad