1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cursing on ABC: Saving Private Ryan

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by R0ckets03, Nov 11, 2001.

Tags:
  1. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

They are showing Saving Private Ryan on ABC rite now and they are not editting out any of the f-bombs. I was just wondering if anyone knows how they are able to do this? Not that I have anything against it. Also a few years back they showed Schindlers List and did not edit out the nudity in the concentration camps.

On a sidenote today for the first time ABC decides to actually show something on HD! woo hoo!!!!

2. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

I don't know "how" they get to do it, but they did advertise it as an "uncut" version.

3. Nutcracker

Nutcracker Contributing Member

im not sure, but i would think with movies on epic scales such as the 2 you mentioned, they would be allowed in the attempt not to disfigure the peice of art that those 2 movies are.

4. R0ckets03

Thats what I was thinking, but who gets to decide on which movies are epics? Kind of subjective I would think.

5. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Now if the censores would shut their traps on everything else, but that would be wishful thinking.

6. R0ckets03

No thanks.

Why do I sense a censure and a freedom of speech debate forming in this thread all of a sudden?:cool:

7. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

What about turning this into a "Quotes That Are Longer Than Your Post" thread?!

:rolleyes:

As I don't have to deal with "reality TV" and Jerry Springer, I don't care what they put on the boob tube.

8. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Whats so terrible about censorship, it only destroys the artistic integrity of someones work. ;)

9. Hydra

Hydra Member

The left all of the f-bombs in Scared Straight on MTV about a year ago. I think the whole censorship deal on tv is based on sponsers, not the law. Although I will admit that I am by no means an expert here.

10. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Does anybody remember a couple years ago when The WB showed a butchered version of <i>Pulp Fiction</i>? Every third word had to either be changed or cut out...Truely an embarrasment, even by WB standards...

As far as Saving Private Ryan is concerned, it's a pretty well known movie and was being promoed all over the place, so parents knew what to expect...Plus, it was show later in the evening on a Sunday night, so most kids were in bed...I think they were more concerned about the blood more than the cuss words...If you were a parent, which would probably cause more long term mental damage in your impressionable 10-year old?

a) Somebody saying "f**k", a word they probably hear at school multiple times throughout the day

b) Some dude walking on a beach carrying his own arm that was blown off just seconds ago

11. MrSpur

MrSpur Member

The bottomline is that it is up to the viewer and to those who advertise on ABC stations.

I have mixed emotions...on the one hand, I think that it is important to remember the sacrifice of those who have fought in wars for our freedoms, but on the other hand that is a pretty violent movie and I'm not sure if kids should see it...though I suppose that is what parents are for....

Most WWII movies were from a different era and were often 'sanitized' when it came to showing what really went on.

There are still plenty of these quiet heroes around. They faced hell in order to stop pure evil.

Some never came back to enjoy the freedom they defended.

With some of these freeze dried hippies that have been thawed out after 9-11, I can think of no better example of a just war to put their views in perspective.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

<font face="courier">moniker.changeMode(BK.setVitriolicSarcasm());
    post(

"<b>The Jews were responsible for 11/11 movies!</b>"

);

moniker.changMode(DoD.setPuppySarcasm());

post(

"<b>Behad hangs out with geeks!</b>"

);

moniker.changeMode(Clutch.setBeNice());</font>

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I remember when Repo Man was on regular TV. They changed MF to Mother Farmer. I thouhgt that was funny.

14. deepellumrocket

When they show Do the Right Thing on TV they change MF to Mickey Fickey. Here's an example:

Korean Shop owner: Mickey fickey me? Mickey Fickey you!

15. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

What I found rather disgusting was a scene in Uprising (NBC). They showed a body naked Jew lying dead in the street but blocked by a person. The person put a newspaper to cover the body and they walked away. A couple seconds later, they had the wind blow the newspaper off the body to reveal a full nude body.
    I thought it was a bit unnecessory to show nudity on TV.

16. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

You only mean male nudity is unacceptable, right ;)