1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cures for Hangovers??

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by slamdunk179, Jun 10, 2007.

1. slamdunk179

slamdunk179 Member

Not sure if this was in a previous thread, but what is the best cure for a hangover? I drank heavily back in college and I get these nasty hangovers whenever I drink, due to my body's inability to process alcohol. Do those pills from the vitamin shop, which supposedly if you take before drinking actually work and reduce the feeling the next day? Any suggestions will be helpful.......

2. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Drink a lot of water and eat before you sleep.

If there was a "cure" the world would know about it.

3. couch_pot8o

couch_pot8o Contributing Member

as weird as this may sound like, no matter how hammered i am the night before, i never get any hangovers. just lucky i guess. :) but what my cousin does is drink a lot of water before he goes to sleep and he brings a big bottle of water next to him just in case. and he would always drink coffee the next morning.

4. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

5. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

For me, if I take a Motrin and drink a few cups of water before I go to sleep, I'll be okay in the morning. Eating is a good idea too.

6. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

A hangover is pretty much your body telling you its dehydrated. So try and drink a glass of water for every glass of alcohol you consume. Yes you'll want to run to the bathroom every few minutes because of this, but this method has never failed me yet.

However on the chance you do get a hangover in the morning after, I've heard sipping on some alcohol when you wake up helps relieve it. The supposed logic behind it is, since your body is craving to be hydrated, your first intuition is to start drinking lots of water. However drinking lots of water when hungover makes you feel sick. Instead you ease your body onto a liquid like alcohol that dehydrates first so your body can adjust then you start drinking water when your body feels adjusted again.

Think of it like scuba diving. If you were to swim to the ocean floor, your body would feel an immense amount of surface pressure. However you don't want to rush immediately to the surface for air because your body needs to adjust gradually to each varying degree of surface pressure before reaching the surface. Decompression sickness or the bends pretty much.

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Vitamin B supplement and lots of water

8. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

Are you talking about those pills you take before you drink and then you dont get a hangover? Ive seen them at CVS.

9. JaWindex

JaWindex Contributing Member

I've seen this advertised on TV:

[​IMG]

10. inler

inler Contributing Member

take some asprin before you go to bed. heard it on oprah.

11. jcantu

jcantu Contributing Member

Dehydration is only part of it. You feel bad because of the by product of alcohol breakdown is a toxic metabolite. Drinking water dilutes it out. In addition, the eye opener thing is true because when you drink alcohol in the morning, it shifts the reaction to the other side, reducing the amount of toxic metabolite in your system.

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I've always found that a good, long miserable exercise session (with copious sweat) followed by rehydration works wonders.

13. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

This stuff is, apparently, like an outrageous amount of B vitamin and nothing else. I bartended a few private events a few years ago sponsored by these guys and another anti-hangover pill/energy drink (seriously. They had us mix it with vodka, it was disgusting). Anyway, we were shocked at how much B vitamin was in it. I'm no doctah, but that stuff couldn't have been good for your body. Not that getting wasted is, but I'd stay away from that junk if I were you.

I have noticed that if I take my multi-V late in the day, for that normal allotment of B-vitamin, it helps if I were to drink that night. And the water, etc. Coffee doesn't help, it just makes you alert and awake as coffee usually does, but dehydrates you more.

14. YaoYoYao

YaoYoYao Member

AA meetings :cool:

15. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

Bloody Mary

16. Asian Sensation

17. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Gatorade and Powerade always helped me :)

18. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

lmao :D

19. Palmray

Palmray Contributing Member

As the hangover strikes
    And I turn on the tap
    But the water's too loud
    And I'm caged by the fact
    That the battle's not lost
    Is it the hair of the dog
    Or the Baa of a Lamb
    In a sheepish attempt
    To be half of the man
    That I might be or was
    --from "When the Hangover Strikes" by Squeeze

No seriously; a tablespoon of honey; magnesium; gatorade; greasy food; salad; sugar and most importantly:

http://www.remogeneralstore.com/online/product.cfm?pk=15

20. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

I tried those a few times and they actually did work. But you have to take it with your first drink for best results. It seems to be some kind of charcoal-based stuff. I don't know exactly, but it works. Well, it worked for me atleast. Drink water though, with or without the Chasers.