1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Curb Your Enthusiasm" proves man innocent of murder

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by drapg, Jun 2, 2004.

1. drapg

drapg Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=1814312

LOS ANGELES -- "Curb Your Enthusiasm," an HBO show known for its acerbic wit, accidentally helped deliver a happy ending to a man who had been charged with murder.

Juan Catalan spent 5½ months in jail on murder charges before his attorney found video footage taken by the show at Dodger Stadium that backs up his client's claims of innocence.

Police arrested Catalan in August, alleging he killed Martha Puebla, 16, in the San Fernando Valley on May 12, 2003, because she had testified against his brother in another case.

Catalan insisted he and his 6-year-old daughter were watching the Los Angeles Dodgers lose to the Atlanta Braves, 11-4, minutes before Puebla was killed about 20 miles north of the stadium.

He said he had ticket stubs from the game and testimony from his family as to his whereabouts the night Puebla was killed. But police still believed he was responsible, saying they had a witness who placed Catalan at the scene of the slaying.

Catalan said he asked to take a lie detector test, but was refused.

Defense attorney Todd Melnik subpoenaed the Dodgers and Fox Networks, which owned the team then, to scan videotape of the televised baseball game and footage from its "Dodger Vision" cameras. Some of the videotapes showed where Catalan was sitting but Melnik couldn't make him out.

Melnik later learned that HBO had been at the stadium the night of the killing to tape an episode of "Curb Your Enthusiasm," a comedy starring "Seinfeld" co-creator Larry David. The lawyer found what he was looking for in footage that had not made the final cut.

"I got to one of the scenes, and there is my client sitting in a corner of the frame eating a hot dog with his daughter," Melnik said. "I nearly jumped out of my chair and said, 'There he is!'"

The tapes had time codes that allowed Melnik to find out exactly when Catalan was at the ballpark. Melnik also obtained cell phone records that placed his client near the stadium later that night, about 20 minutes before the murder.

The attorney said it would have been impossible for Catalan to get out of the parking lot, change vehicles and clothing and play with his daughter as well as kill Puebla during that span.

Catalan, who could have faced the death penalty had he been convicted of murder, was released in January because a judge ruled there was no evidence to try him.

"To hear the words from the judge's mouth, I just broke down in tears," Catalan, 26, said Tuesday. "It was the happiest moment in my life."

Catalan, now raising his family and working with his father as a machinist, has submitted a claim against the city of Los Angeles, alleging false imprisonment, misconduct and defamation of character. Puebla's murder remains unsolved and the case against Catalan's brother, who is accused of being the driver in a drive-by shooting, is still pending.

Prosecutors and police did not return calls seeking comment Tuesday.

Other evidence also helped dismiss the case against Catalan, but the videotape "had extreme dramatic effect," Melnick said.

The show was hardly about the ballpark crowd that night. It focused on David hiring a prostitute, not for sex but to be a passenger in his car so he could travel in the carpool lane and escape traffic on his way to the stadium.

"Curb Your Enthusiasm" is a series on cable network HBO, whose parent company is Time Warner Inc. which also owns CNN.com.

By the way, this was a FANTASTIC EPISODE!!!

2. Chump

Chump Member

haha yes it was

it had it all that makes Larry David so, Larry David

Larry, His dad and a hooker smoking pot together, Classic!

3. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

Now that's a one-in-a-million shot! I'm glad it worked out in that guy's favor!

4. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

So, the witness must have lied, shown bias, or just been flat out mistaken. Maybe they should prosecute the witness for false testimony.

5. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Studies have shown that eyewitness accounts are the least reliable bits of evidence, yet the most believed by juries.

6. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

Maybe the witness is the killer.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I hate that the Police ignored evidence and jailed the man, I hope he wins his case against them.

DD

8. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Who is to say the guy didn't set up going to the ballgame as his alibi while someone he contracted with committed the actual crime? It is pretty convenient to be at a ballgame the same time a woman who testified against your brother is being murdered.

I guess if you can't find the guy who killed her and you have no other evidence to lend credibility to a conspiracy involving the brother...then the brother has no worries.

It just seems kind of odd to me.

9. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

When LD pulled off that Marx Brothers/talking to himself in the mirror bit ... WOW.

Maybe the funniest 30 seconds of TV I've ever seen.

Made even funnier by the fact that my Dad is convinced Larry's friend (the guy whose father died) in that episode is Super Dave Osbourne.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Another reason to not have the death penalty. The justice system makes mistakes, usually through its own eagerness.

11. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Happens so often it's unbelievable. Almost standard operating procedure.

12. ricky-retardo

ricky-retardo Contributing Member

Kelly,

Made even funnier by the fact that my Dad is convinced Larry's friend (the guy whose father died) in that episode is Super Dave Osbourne.

That is Super Dave Osbourne.

13. Uncle_Tim

Uncle_Tim Member

I think pretty much in that case it's a Catch-22. Anytime you are able to prove your alibi, you've set it up. Otherwise you're guilty as charged. Kind of sucks. It's a witch hunt in a way.

I find it somewhat irritating that some people manage to slide their political points of view in a forum and in a thread that are not politically motivated.

14. drapg

drapg Member

This was meant to state the greatness of CYE people!

15. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Nice.

Should have known by the American-flag hat.

Did anyone see this link?

http://www.newyorker.com/talk/content/?040607ta_talk_toobin

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I'm happy to irritate you.

17. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Er...geese, ganders, etc.

18. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

i mean who would believe the Dodgers scored 4 runs!!!!

19. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

a bit off topic: I'm watching CYE season 1 and it's funny and everything but does anyone else feel that the "camcorder like" effect they have takes away from it a bit? I wish they shot it more like a sitcom (without the laughing) sort of like The Bernie Mac Show

20. drapg

drapg Member

I think the "camcorder effect" is a primary part of its charm.

Just like with Arrested Development.