1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cubs Close to landing Soriano

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by RocketManJosh, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Buck Turgidson

Are you really talking about the Cubs here? "No budget"? Trib has run that organization on shoestring budgets (relative to their revenue) for DECADES...now this year there's talk they'll bump up their budget ~20M or so...which buys you just about exactly one Alfonso Soriano. Good luck with that rotation.

8 years @ $17M per *with a full no-trade clause* is insane for a 30 year old player. And then you're going to go against his strengths as a hitter & bat him leadoff (low OBP at the top of the order has been the Cub's main problem on offense for a few years)? Very Cub.

2. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Their rotation is pretty similar to ours right now unfortunately. (granted they dont have the potential to add Andy and Roger however small or large those chances are)

He was a 45/40 guy this year batting primarily leadoff

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

You're right. He's probably the difference between 66 wins (as they had in 2006) and 70-75 wins. Without pitching, his added offense is completely wasted.

Come on now. You're not seriously using outfield assists as a justification for this contract, are you? True, there simply aren't many 45/50 (potentially 50/50) guys ever. He is an offensive threat. He does not make the Cubs instantly better. What did his bat do for the Rangers or Nationals? The Rangers had 1 winning season with Soriano. Other than that, he hasn't been to the playoffs since he left the Yankees.

Does he make the Astros better? If he's the difference in 2 wins last season, we're possibly talking about the 2006 World Champion Houston Astros. Plus, he's appreciably better offensively than the person in the spot in the lineup that he'd be replacing.

The Astros still have some large holes to fill in the starting pitching. I firmly believe that Andy Pettitte is coming back. I realize you don't think much of Woody Williams, but he does make a good #3. In theory, Jason Hirsh should be better with some major league service time. I think they are waiting on Pettitte's decision to decide what to do with Nieve. I personally think he should start. A rotation with Oswalt, Pettitte, Williams, Nieve, & Hirsch ain't bad.

4. NJRocket

i never said that...i was just saying that he isnt nearly as bad of an OF as some of you are painting him to be

He only played 2 years on Texas...you cant blame the guy for being an offensive monster in a pitchers park on an "expansion" team in DC

Im not trying to argue the fact that we need pitching and we couldnt afford him at that price...im simply saying that it wasnt such a terrible financial decision if they can afford it

5. Buck Turgidson

Right. They've presumably shot their wad, Stros haven't. We'll see.

I'm aware of his stats. He's much, much, much better suited to a middle of the order spot, assuming you have someone with decent enough skills to hit leadoff (which the Cubs apparently don't or aren't interested in acquiring). I'd want someone with his power coming to bat with men on base as much as possible...and if you hit him in front of Lee/Ramirez, his K's can be compensated for, somewhat.

6. Major

Major Member

I don't even think this is the case. At best, that makes them a bad version of the 2006 Astros. A terrible offense with one, maybe two, legit hitters in Lee and Ramirez, and a lesser version of our starting pitching, not to mention a mediocre bullpen. How does that make them competitive?

7. Buck Turgidson

Thought I'd add...Carlos Zambrano is a FA after this season. If I were the Cubs, that would have been priority numero uno this offseason.

Major: Not sure you can say they'd be "terrible" offensively w/out Soriano. In '05, with a healthy Lee, they were a middle of the pack offensive team; and I'd certainly call Barrett & Jones legit hitters.

Personally, I think they would have been better served using that 17M to bolster the rotation. Will be interesting to see what else they do.

8. NJRocket

agreed on the Zambrano thing....he is their Roy O.

As for their lineup, they also added Derosa this year as well

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

charlie palilo was saying all last week that the market was gonna dictate a deal like this. this is where the bar is set this year.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

so few impact players available.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I predict that the market is in for a SEVERE revision if/once these big money players don't perform as advertised.

I also don't want to hear an owner crying about not making money... EVERYBODY is making money in this thing, and its dictating the amount owners are willing to pay.

12. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

HOLY CRAP :eek:

May the cubs suck for years to come...I'd bet the farm we were no where near that range, and I'm glad...

13. lalala902102001

Now I've heard the rumor that the Tribune company is actively seeking to sell the Cubs, I can understand this deal better.