1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cruelty

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Amiga, Jun 9, 2018.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I wonder what happens when a cabinet member lies to congress? Lets ask michael cohen?

2. NewRoxFan

While its possible she didn't know, its way more likely she just didn't want to testify publicly, on camera, the enormous and growing number of children being detained. Its not just bad enough that trump and his people are doing such horrible things, but they also are not being held accountable...

Ottomaton likes this.
  3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

What the trump gang of soulless cretins are doing is sickening and an affront to the United States of America. They seem to want a country I don't recognize. They can go f*** themselves.

4. conquistador#11

Watched a great doc, "The Sharp's war". And considering that a lot of this administration's gibberish towards immigrants is a 'dummified' version of Fascist 1930s speeches, they can't even be original in that, I felt it was a very relevant doc. A segment showed children refugees that were separated from their parents describing the effects it had on them throughout their lives

But hey, the economy is great.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Trump's rallies mimick that of 20th century fascists. A very hyped jingoist audience with a leader who uses his rallies as glorified police blotters just listing anecdotal crimes committed by minorites to induce hatred amongst his supporters.

FranchiseBlade and B-Bob like this.
  6. NewRoxFan

Nine year old girl. And a U.S. Citizen.

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Treating kids as criminals, and forcing them to sign document... those responsible needs to be fired.

———————

My daughter told her brother that the officer told her that if she admitted that she was her cousin, she would be released soon so she could see her mom,” Galaxia said.

“I was scared. I was sad because I didn't have my mom or my brother. I was completely by myself,” Julia Medina said. She said she woke up several times throughout the night, sad because she wasn’t with her family.

Galaxia said officers made Oscar Medina sign a document that said his little sister was his cousin.

“That is not true,” Galaxia said. “She is my daughter. He was told that he would be taken to jail and they were going to charge him for human trafficking and sex trafficking.”

#1187 Amiga, Mar 22, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    FranchiseBlade likes this.
  8. NewRoxFan

SMH...

Airline Assured Flight Attendant She’d Be Safe to Fly to Mexico. When She Returned, ICE Detained Her.
    https://thepointsguy.com/news/ice-detains-flight-attendant-daca/

9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Its unfair, but she needs to know that if you leave the country and you are not a citizen or a green card holder you might get stuck. If she had any friends who are immigrants or just some googling she would have known that. I know people with Valid H1B visas that were basically forced to spend a month in another country. If you don't have papers and you want stay in the USA don't leave otherwise you are putting your fate in the hands of ICE.

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It's interesting that this was a top article at the TPG (the point guys). They are anything but political.

This is just morally wrong and stupid policy. Was brought to the USA when she was 3. Clean record, married to a US citizen, applied for DACA and has been approved for citizenship and now ICE want to deport her. You can be against illegal immigrants and still do the compassionate and sensible thing. We have limited resources. The more we spend time on deporting these fine American (yes, she is as American as any other), the less resources we have to work on criminals.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Part of her job. Her employer is more responsible for failing her.

Selene Saavedra Roman, 28, a resident of College Station, Texas, had been a crew member for Phoenix-based Mesa Airlines for less than a month in February when she was scheduled for a flight to Mexico out of Houston’s George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH), even though she’d already made it clear that she didn’t want to work any flights outside the US.

Mesa Airlines operates regional flights for American Airlines and United Airlines. This flight was for United.

Saavedra immediately told her supervisors she was worried — she was, after all, a so-called Dreamer, one of an estimated 700,000 immigrants to the US who fall under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals policy. Saavedra came illegally to the US from Peru when she was 3 years old, grew up in Dallas, went to college in Texas, and married a US citizen. She has a Social Security number and pays taxes, and was halfway through the process of getting her official citizenship. Leaving the country, she feared, could jeopardize her DACA status.

But Mesa Airlines insisted she was legally all right to fly to Mexico and back.

12. NewRoxFan

Yes it's unfair.

And she did know it was a mistake.

But...

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Her Employer did fail her, but I personally know at least 3 people this is happened to. The company did spend money on lawyers too, but it took them a few months before they could come back. You can blame whomever, but at the end of the day ice can do anything they want. Immigration officer pretty much don't have to let you back in. Unless you have papers (GC, Citizen) don't leave the country. You can blame your employers you can blame Trump, but at the end the day if you want to stay in this country don't leave.

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I hope Mesa Airlines is paying for her legal representation.

NewRoxFan likes this.
  15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

And that's the sad message. But it's not simply staying put and not leaving the country. We have seen ICE going after a much wider net, not just criminals. The message that this government is sending is .... stay put, go into hiding, do not report crimes... If you are a US citizen that looks a certain way, you should be careful. Need to always have ID with you, even if you are a child. Need to be aware of what ICE and CPB are doing.

If you do want to ultimately blame someone.... who took away DACA? Who refocus the effort to go after everyone that look illegal, including US citizens instead of focusing on criminals?

According to Arroyo, immigration officials at Houston airport previously would have granted Saavedra a parole — a legal exception that would have allowed her, as a DACA recipient, to leave and reenter the country without hassle. But because of DACA’s legal limbo, it’s not clear whether paroles still apply.

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Also, don't wear short skirts if you don't want to get raped. Don't carry money if you don't want to be robbed.

RayRay10 and BruceAndre like this.
  17. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

*&^%$.....I thought it was Kirsten Gillebrand that was gonna get grilled. That lady in the photo even looks like her.

18. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

If a foreigner marries a US citizen, I'm pretty sure that person should be golden; ie, not have any re-entry issues. Of course it probably helps if you have the US citizen spouse with you.

In the case of the flight attendant, that choice of career was probably not the wisest decision, given possible question about citizenship status.

I wonder if those here who want to blame Trump for all these incidents.....wouldn't be better off placing the blame on stupid and inefficient bureaucracies, which could happen under any president.

19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

That's not true (marriage to US citizen = you are golden). Immigration laws are a complicated maze.

It's a policy change under Trump that resulted in this.

According to Arroyo, immigration officials at Houston airport previously would have granted Saavedra a parole — a legal exception that would have allowed her, as a DACA recipient, to leave and reenter the country without hassle. But because of DACA’s legal limbo, it’s not clear whether paroles still apply.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  20. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Hmmmm. Well I don't pretend to be uber-expert on marriage and citizenship, although I was well aware of the rules at one time. Maybe they have changed.

But, if I was a foreign national that was married to a US citizen, I wouldn't even bring up DACA. That's certain to muddy the waters. I would stick to the fact that I was married to a US citizen.