1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Credit Card Question

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket River, Aug 11, 2018.

?

Which is better?

1. 1500 credit card balance with 1500 in savings

5 vote(s)
    10.4%
  2. 0 balance on the credit card with zero savings.

36 vote(s)
    75.0%
  3. Other

7 vote(s)
    14.6%
  1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I have been having a discussion
    So
    I ask you all if you have a credit card
    Has a 2000 limit. 1500 balance.

Is it better to have that balance
    While having 1500 in savings
    Or
    Using the the savings to zero balance the card
    But now zero savings.

Rocket River

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

oddly enough, zeroing out a credit card balance can actually hurt your credit score. I've read they recommend keeping a small (in this case probably $200-ish) balance on the card. In which case your scenario would suggest paying the credit card off to that level with the cash in savings. End result $200 on the card, $200 left in savings.

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  3. CCorn

CCorn Member

You want to pay off debts before putting money in savings.

Riz, gatsby, Phillyrocket and 9 others like this.
  4. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

1500 balance with 1500 means you still have 0 money, except now you're paying interest on the card. Now if your interest is really low and you're using savings to invest elsewhere that will give greater return then your interest, then option 1 becomes viable.

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Don't pay interest on cc debt you can zero out.

I would read something like creditkarma to get better advice for increasing your credit score.

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

First things first.

You need an emergency fund, which is 6 months of expenses if you are in your 20s and 30s. The older you get the more you will need in your emergency fund, to 2-3 years of expenses when you get to 60.

Once you get a fully funded emergency fund, then pay off your credit card debt.

DFWRocket and gatsby like this.
  7. Sajan

Sajan Member

1. What interest are you paying on the credit card? What's the point of having 1500 in savings when you are paying 15% interest on your CC?

1500 out of 2000 = 75% utilization = will hurt your credit score.

Key to a better score is low utilization of your entire available credit limit ...like 10% or so.

Houstunna and Rocket River like this.
  8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

You can get around total utilization % by applying to more no annual fee CCs and raising the limit from time to time. Some of them even offer teasers like $300 back after spending X amount over three months.

Some people are wary of this because they spend what they don't have. Practice self control / fiscal responsibility, and cut up the ones you don't use. Keeping those credit cards will boost your credit score by boosting the aggregate average age of your credit cards.

This later allows you to churn cards with bigger teasers (and an annual fee you have no business paying) without impacting your credit score.

Rocket River likes this.
  9. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Why would you build your savings account while carrying debt? You are paying interest on the card needlessly. Pay off the card first. If you have an emergency you can always use the card.

Space Ghost and Rocket River like this.
  10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Conflicting ideology in here.

My vote goes to cocaine and strippers.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

One should list their financial goals in a priority order. Most have an emergency fund as their top priority.

How about this? Say you want to go get a cheese burger at Sonic. Do you claim that that is an emergency or do you use a credit card? Now using the credit card will not be option when you hit its limit. In that case, you stay home and have ramen noodles or some such.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I always thought zeroing out the credit card was best
    The only exception is if you are saving up for maybe a down payment on a house.

I have heard that you should carry a small balance as well

In fact
    I have heard that if you say spend 200$
    A month in bills....if you paid them with your credit card
    Then paid the 200 to the card every month
    That would build credit......
    Shows card is active and paid monthly on time...etc...

Is that correct?

Rocket River

13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Yeah that's correct. Credit scores are overrated. Of course you need a good credit score, but it isn't worth it to stay in dept to build credit. That "keep a small balance to build credit" BS is what the CC companies tell you to keep you in bondage.

I pay all my bills with my reward cards for the reward perks and pay them off with the money I was already going to use. The CC company's are essentially paying me to pay my bills.

14. CCorn

CCorn Member

If you’re good with money you can still budget for this. This is my personal account that my wife doesn’t know about.

15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I do the same.

16. Sajan

Sajan Member

+1.

Just to clarify...you do NOT need to keep a balance on your card to get a good credit score. I have never kept a balance on my card. I charge what I need for the month...when I get my statement, I pay off the statement balance.

Recently I got a discount tire card to use their 12 month financing. I just asked for 2000 bucks limit and charged 1500 on it. Guess what. My credit score took a hit because it said I had high utilization on one of my card. Nvm the fact that I can easily charge 50K+ on the other cards.

B-Bob likes this.
  17. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

The "keeping a balance" is take news.

You need multiple accounts to truly have great credit. So let's say you have 5 credit cards with 100k in open credit lines you just use whatever card offers the most points for said bonus category and pay everything off on time.

Randomly every 7 days when your credit is updated it will show you are utilizing credit but it's a very low %

As far as paying bills with your credit cards I would pay anything you could with them for

A) extra layer of security
    B) points points points

18. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Like all things it depends on the situation. If you have zero emergency fund and zero cc debt, but find your self needing cash beyond your cash advance limit..... Pay day loans are worse than cash advance for an example.

19. Tuan

Tuan Member

I treat my CCs like a debit card. If I dont have the cash to pay it off, I dont charge it. I dont care about credit score or any of that crap as I hardly ever need it. The only thing I would ever use credit/finance on it is a mortgage.

20. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

There are multiple ways credit scores are calculated. Trying to determine whether you should carry a balance is ridiculous. At worst, you might get docked a couple points for carrying a zero balance. When you're applying for loan or house, I can reassure you carrying zero balances is a very good thing.
    Don't pay interest fees if you dont have to. If you're struggling to pay off 1500 CC loan, one probably shouldn't have a credit card in the first place.

There is good credit, great credit and stellar credit. Very few lending institutes care about perfect credit. Don't overthink it.

Getting great credit is pretty simple. Do not pay your debts late. Pay your debts off as quickly as possible. Try to achieve 50k+ credit line. Keep 2-5 lines of credit open. Get a couple credit cards that you plan to keep for life. This will help with credit longevity (this is a very stupid metric).

To reiterate, there is no reason why a person should keep debt of any kind just for the sole purpose of a credit score.

Richie_Rich, Houstunna and B-Bob like this.