1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Crazy find in my garage

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by leroy, Nov 25, 2018.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Not a bad idea. I'd probably have to get them cleaned up first and try to figure out a starting price. One of my closest friends works at an estate sale company. He's going to try and get me someone to do an appraisal.

Per @Dr of Dunk's idea, I reached out to Ken Hoffman who gave me what he thought to be John Lander's email address. I sent him an email a couple days ago but haven't heard back. @DFWRocket is leaning on some radio people he knows to try and find out more. It's like the dude completely disappeared after whatever was his last job.

2. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Found Mr Leonards personal Facebook page if you want to send him a message. He goes by John Rio.

https://www.facebook.com/john.rio.393

leroy likes this.
  3. leroy

Cool...sent him a message. He appears to be friends with John Lander...who hasn't done anything on FB since 2009. I'm honestly wondering if the dude is still alive. I did a quick obit search and didn't find anything. Of course, John Rio hasn't been active in over 2 years so who knows if he'll even get my message.

EDIT: Also attempted to send John Lander a message. Seeing as though he hasn't been on there in nearly a decade, I'm not too hopeful.

#43 leroy, Nov 28, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  4. jcf

jcf Member

Not to bum you out, but you might end up with a demand for their return if you find the original owner. (Insert Debbie Downer here)

5. leroy

I don't know the law on this but I would assume that since they were in the house and not specifically excluded in the sale, I own them.

jcf likes this.
  6. jcf

jcf Member

Sounds right to me. Don't know where you live obviously and have no idea whether that applies only to fixtures or to personal property accidentally left behind. Either way, good luck on it. Cool find.

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I posted his LinkedIn contact info back on the first page, I think. I can't get their morning jingle out of my head after reading this thread. On a side note, I can't get KTRH's call-in phone numbers out of my head from listening to so much SportsBeat as a kid.

8. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I was hoping I had friends in common with either him or John Lander. The only friend I have in common with Lander was the guy I contacted already. Me and you both have friends of friends in common with Mr. Leonard..but no direct friends in common with him. (S Morton & J Bucek have friends in common with Mr Leonard & I believe you know them if you wanted to go that route).

9. leroy

I didn't think of reaching out to Sam since he works in radio. I'll try that route, too.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I never cease to be surprised at the information you can get from other members here if you just ask. They don't always help, but they try. It's something I appreciate about Hangout. We're lucky to have it, in my humble opinion.

boomboom, SuraGotMadHops and leroy like this.
  11. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

So what you're saying Deckard is that this thread will fill Clutch's Sunday Morning 3AM PSA Half-hour Timeslot obligation?

Nook likes this.
  12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

According to some sites, his real name was "Tom Clarke". Who knows -- if true, maybe he went back to using that? But assuming he's still around, I would assume he's gotta be pushing 65-70 by now, so maybe he's done working or keeping an online presence as is just chilling out somewhere while nerds on the Internet try hunting him down. :D

13. GIGO

GIGO Member

Not sure if these are of any help, but would just like to add some info not seen in this thread so far.

@1:10

Looks like in 2014 Texas Radio Hall of Fame was communicating with John Lander who was one of the inductees. How about asking someone in that org about his whereabouts? Their contact person is Josh Holstead info@trhof.net (Texas Radio Hall of Fame/Operations Center, 2114 Gladys Yoakum Drive, Richmond, Texas 77406).

The narrator in the video is Joe Pogge of Smokin' Joe's Driving Range on CBS Sports Radio 650. Wondering if he might also be one of the persons to ask about Lander. (FYI: Pogge's SJDR facebook link)

Yung-T and leroy like this.
  14. leroy

Looks like it would be help. I'll give Joe Pogge a shot as it seems like he's close to Lander. THANKS!

15. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

If all else fails I'd give you $20 for the Zappa segment...

Nook likes this.
  16. cardpire

cardpire Member

are you going to offer lander the stuff if he wants it? if not, why even contact him?

odd to me if you'd just tell him about it, then either keep it or try to make some money off of it.

Rodman23, Nook and Asian Sensation like this.
  17. Asian Sensation

Glad someobody asked.

It’s confusing (to me) that OP is actively going out his way trying to find the owner while talking about appraisals, value, cleaning, selling, keeping said stuff.

Nook, cardpire, Yung-T and 1 other person like this.
  18. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I can see that bald dude on "Pawn Stars" now saying it's an interesting find but a random collection of celebrity comments/autographs isn't worth much at all aside from any sentimental value it would hold to the original owner. He would then say it would be worth a whole lot more if this were a signed piece of actual memorabilia, like a poster for an event, and all the artists who attended the event signed the poster. Then, he would say I'm not even going to call my expert in to review this mess because I know what he will say. Last, he would say I'm going to pass on making you an offer because I don't have the room to display these boards and I don't see anyone wanting to buy them. Even though you got some notable dead celeb autographs on there like Sam and Robin, I would think it would be equivalent of me walking in to get them evaluated if they were signed on a piece of plain paper. I would guess there are plenty of their autographs out there so they wouldn't be worth much unless they were signed on a good piece of memorabilia. Last, I would clean them up and hang them in my garage. Else, just put them back in the attic cause they are kind of unsightly.

Now, whether I'm right or not...? I've watched a lot of "Pawn Stars" episodes. ;) There may be some buyer who finds value in this random mess. I don't see it. lol. It's an interesting find, though. If it were me, then I would just give it back to the original owner (this DJ guy)...assuming he even wants them back. The fact is he stuck them in an attic originally and didn't take them when he sold the property and left. He obviously didn't care much about the boards because he wasn't displaying them and he basically forgot about them. In summary, it's a mess. Good luck!

Nook and KingCheetah like this.
  19. leroy

First...it's something that was a very interesting and surprising find in my home that I own. So, ownership isn't in question here.

Second...as someone who grew up in Houston and listened to 93Q before it went garbage country, it's even more interesting and cool to me

Third...all I wanted to do is speak to Mr. Lander about them and try to get the history and how they might've ended up in my home...because it's interesting.

Fourth...I'm curious if there is value to them because they're too big to go anywhere in my home other than the garage. At least not without some significant effort.

I'm not sure what's confusing to you 2. It's an interesting find in which ownership isn't in question. I want to reach out to their former owner because it would be cool to talk about the history of them. I'm not trying to screw anyone. But while you 2 are still up on your horses up there...what would you do?

DFWRocket and GIGO like this.
  20. leroy

If there is a buyer out there, it would have to be someone who's just enamored with the 80's. I'm sure the list of people that would want to buy these is very small.

He never owned my house...at least. he wasn't the owner of record and I'm pretty sure he left Houston just after he was let go from 93Q.